NecroMancer

Adrian Smith's HATE

$120 plus probably $30 shipping ... not sure how I feel about that. There are a couple of things that don't sit well with me. Some of the miniatures are awesome, but I personally do not like the whole "we are so brutal we have to have a whole KS exclusive game because it's rated 18 ... more blood more limbs, cook your enemy". And despite this being "fantasy", some of those armors with all those skulls and heads are simply too exaggerated and almost comical for me.

Furthermore, this being KS exclusive forces every backer to get everything he wants now ... no waiting if retail might be cheaper from a store with free shipping (yeah, stores can get it now from KS, too, but still, it limits options). CMON expansions are often overpriced during KS and the only way to sweeten the deal was to add a KS exclusive miniature (they did that a lot during Green Horde, Massive Darkness expansions didn't have an exclusive and were cheaper at retail).

I also think that having four (?) not yet delivered Kickstarters (though by different studios?) is a great thing (Smog, Rising Sun, Green Horde and Game of Thrones).

Unlocking another tribe piece-meal as stretch goals takes a lot of the fun out for me, too.

So ... not sure yet. Probably ... but not definitely.

and: Green Horde (before stretch goals) had

• 9 double-sided game tiles 
  • 72 miniatures  
  • 6 survivor plastic dashboards, color bases, and ID Cards 
  • 48 plastic trackers
  • 6 dice 
  • 133 cards 
  • 68 tokens 
  • 1 Rulebook

and a dragon and a ballista as KS exclusives.

Hate (same price)

• 51 Highly Detailed Miniatures
  • 1 Game Board
  • 32 Terrain Tiles
  • Over 100 Cardboard Tokens
  • 32 Tribe Cards
  • 51 Figure Cards
  • 88 Transparent Upgrade/Scar Cards
  • 44 Plastic Card Sleeves
  • 6 Custom Dice
  • 13 Counter Bases
  • 5 Scenario Dashboards
  • 1 Village Sheet Pad
  • 1 Chronicle Sheet Pad
  • 1 Rulebook

As I'm mainly after minis ... . Now of course, some of the miniatures in Hate are bigger and there are more different sculpts ... hm ...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Furthermore, this being KS exclusive forces every backer to get everything he wants now

Or they could play Shadowspire, Necromunda, Mordheim, or any number of other miniature skirmish games where each figure is unique, rolls dice, and may or may not have a deck of cards.

The source material is Adrian Smith's comic book, HATE, so, thematically, you can't change it unless you want do deviate from it. Eric Lang is a big fan of his artwork (remember, he designed The Others, which was also based on Smith's artwork). Eric Lang is Lead Game Director and Adrian Smith is Lead Artist (or whatever titles CMON game 'em) so I'm gonna guess they have some influence over what KS CMON runs. 

I think the target demographic are miniature skirmish gamers who need a grid, a bland looking board, and no money spent for video production. <_<

CMON has put out second editions before, explicitly with Rum and Bones 2nd edition, and implicitly with the various versions of Zombicide. With this being CMON's second miniatures game, after Song of Ice and Fire, I'll just wait for them to make some sort of second edition of HATE. The Massive Darkness universe would be a good theme for warring factions, namely the different monster races they've already established.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

and: Green Horde (before stretch goals) had

• 9 double-sided game tiles 
  • 72 miniatures  
  • 6 survivor plastic dashboards, color bases, and ID Cards 
  • 48 plastic trackers
  • 6 dice 
  • 133 cards 
  • 68 tokens 
  • 1 Rulebook

and a dragon and a ballista as KS exclusives.

Hate (same price)

• 51 Highly Detailed Miniatures
  • 1 Game Board
  • 32 Terrain Tiles
  • Over 100 Cardboard Tokens
  • 32 Tribe Cards
  • 51 Figure Cards
  • 88 Transparent Upgrade/Scar Cards
  • 44 Plastic Card Sleeves
  • 6 Custom Dice
  • 13 Counter Bases
  • 5 Scenario Dashboards
  • 1 Village Sheet Pad
  • 1 Chronicle Sheet Pad
  • 1 Rulebook

As I'm mainly after minis ... . Now of course, some of the miniatures in Hate are bigger and there are more different sculpts ... hm ...

Aside from Hate having more different sculpts the other pricing factor is probably that Green Horde is a generic IP that they own outright while Hate is an IP that's going to take it's share of the profits. While the distinction isn't something that would matter to someone if they don't care about the IP I'm sure it played it's part in deciding the content/price ratio.

Yep! I'm sure the amount of money HATE will pull in is much less than GH, so they'll lose the economy of scale for plastic miniatures. 

For anyone who wants to know more about the HATE-verse, see JSG's post on Dakka: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/180/746438.page#9788207

15 hours ago, aku-chan said:

I think I'll pass.

I'm liking some of the figures, but most are just an interchangeable blur of muscles and piercings.

I wish them the best, but I agree with you.

• Like 2

While the designs are cool, I already have way more Barbarians than I'd ever need, and it doesn't feel that different from "Blood Rage" which I also backed in appearance.  A little more post-apoc, but I wouldn't exactly call the vikings in "Blood Rage" historicals either.

Frostgrave, Mordheim, and Necromunda are also campaigns -- and, unlike HATE, you can read the reviews. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hm ... getting a bit more interesting ...

"Yes, we have heard your feedback and so we are hard at work to create an optional set of rules that will allow players to engage in battles involving 3 or 4 tribes in the same massive battles. Taking advantage of the extra board and extra components we're unlocking, these epic battles will play quite differently from the usual. The core of the Chronicle will still involve one player clashing against another player, but these optional rules will allow players to enter these massive battles at certain points of the Chronicle. These rules are still in development, so we cannot delve too deep into specifics, but we intend to offer 2 on 1 battles, 2 on 2 battles, and free for all battles!

2 vs 2 - Allied Tribes struggle to complete objectives together, having to decide together who will focus on which mission. Will they forego one mission and obliterate the other tribe? Maybe one defends the Huts while the other goes for the Interest tokens...

WIP example of a 2x2 battle. WIP example of a 2x2 battle.

2 vs 1 - One Tribe struggles to stay alive while being attacking by 2 other allied Tribes. Will the Plateaus and Trees give enough advantage to survive the onslaught? Will this lone Tribe perish against the alliance of two hateful enemies?

WIP example of a 2x1 battle. WIP example of a 2x1 battle.

Free for All - Enemy Tribes found themselves interested in the same Territory. There is only one way to decide that, fighting against each other to the death.

WIP example of a Free-For-All battle. WIP example of a Free-For-All battle.

"

• Like 1