Advice on starting a painting group

Sergeant_Crunch

As Doug pointed out the CMPA has been very successful in stores. Music however is generally not going to work well in the settings that we have been in. Among friends and in a non-store setting music can be managed much more easily. Quoting lines from bad movies is entirely appropriate for any painting session, definitely a good way to draw people in at a store as well.

• Like 6

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Doug pointed out, consistency is the key. I tried to start an off-shot of the CMPA up in the Northern part of the state, and it worked fine when I was there, but I wasn't able to be there all the time, and when I wasn't it died.  We have moved a couple of times, and our current location is finally showing  the fruits of our consistency.  We had about years where it was often 1 - 3 of us showing some months, and our core group was about 6 people for awhile.  We are now averaging 16+ at paints days the last few months, and that took years to get.

Overall, it is about having some people that are willing to come no matter what.  Someone always needs to be there, and you need to welcome all.  Also, remember, paint group is not all about paint.  It is also about socializing.  My monthly meetup with the CMPA is one of the highlights of my month.  I haven't been in 3 months, and it makes me sad. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

Were there any supplies you didn't think of when you first started that you wish you had at the start?

• Useful to have plastic plates, parchment, and paper towels for wet palettes and some cheap cups to hold water. 
  • Power bars and extension cords are quite useful for people who have lights.
  • Some cheap desk lamps are useful for people who don't bring lights. And daylight-balanced LED bulbs are pretty reasonable these days.
  • It might be nice to have a few good brushes to sell (not give) to painters who have only used the cheap stuff.

Note that none of that other than paper towels and maybe extension cords are really important to have.

• Like 3

I think power strip/extension cord is probalby the one item we use the most that often is missing.  I carry one in the car now just in case.  Our group had a good set of supplies that Kris supplied.  We don't have as many now on our meetup since Kris has been busy, but most folks who come to these know what they need to bring, and in our group, if you forget anything or just need something you didn't anticipate, someone has it.

• Like 4

I'll chime in on  the thing about consistency.  I started a game group at my old FLGS, and it tooks _weeks_ of me being there every Tuesday night and just sitting there looking to play a game with someone before it started to gain momentum. We finally had a core of 4-5 who would show, and it was going good for nearly a year.  I had to give it up for a few months, but it was surviving until one of the other core members stopped coming.  By the time I got back, it was dead again, and it was back to me sitting there alone.  Never did manage to rebuild it. 

I don't think the group would have died if I hadn't taken the few months off.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Bathrooms. Make sure you pick somewhere that has available, well marked, clean bathrooms.

(a primary concern when setting up any kind of group)

I have three in my house, so we should be good there. :)

If nothing else, I finally have a use for all the cups left over from two high school graduations.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1