Need help painting a cloak

Genghis_Sean

Journeyman painter here still struggling to paint when I don't have someone choose the colors for me.  I'm trying to paint a Zombicide: Black Plague add-on hero named Black Currant, but I don't like his color choices.  I want to make him mainly black so he's more worthy of his name.  I want to nail the fur part of his cloak, though.  I see some guy painted it with Skavenblight Dinge, but that looks to be some form of grey, to me.  I'd rather it look more like fur, so I thought I'd paint it something dark and then dry brush it with something else.  Anybody have suggestions or know of a good guide?  Also, I'd welcome suggestions for the cloak color to go with dark black plate mail.  Not really feeling the purple.

black currant2.jpg

black currant1.jpg

Edited by Genghis_Sean
typo
  • Like 1

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Genghis_Sean said:

Journeyman painter here still struggling to paint when I don't have someone choose the colors for me.  I'm trying to paint a Zombicide: Black Plague add-on hero named Black Currant, but I don't like his color choices.  I want to make him mainly black so he's more worthy of his name.  I want to nail the fur part of his cloak, though.  I see some buy painted it with Skavenblight Dinge, but that looks to be some form of grey, to me.  I'd rather it look more like fur, so I thought I'd paint it something dark and then dry brush it with something else.  Anybody have suggestions or know of a good guide?  Also, I'd welcome suggestions for the cloak color to go with dark black plate mail.  Not really feeling the purple.

Vary the tones of the basecoat from edge to middle for the fur for a more realistic fur.  Then its simply a matter of water kind of animal you want it to appear to be. Look up a reference image of a wolf or bear or such and pick suitiable colors.  Just keep it somewhat un-uniform to prevent it from feeling cartoony.  A grey wolf is probably appropriate here - some harvest brown, mountain stone, rainy grey, and a touch of desert sand.

For the cloak, I like the purple would would go much darker.  The current color would be your highest highlight and then shade all the way down to nightmare purple.

• Like 1

I'm no expert but when I saw and read your post this is what came to mind.

The cloak: Do all of this with diluted paints. If you are unfamiliar it is easier and safer to step up using dilution than not. It may take longer and more passes but you'll eventually find the level you work best with. (example: my first miniature I did 30 to 40 passes on a color that I can now do in 3)

Step 1: Highlights (Uppers)

multi-shades: You have a base color. That beautiful purple. Now you need your uppers and your lowers. For the uppers I would not go with a lighter/bright purple. IMHO to create a more unified color scheme I would take that color you used for the Horns and use that with blend of grey (so its not exactly that horn color). I would stipple it on the uppers of the cloak rather than slap paint or dry brush. Start with a very 2:1 diluted paint. Stipple it on then let dry. Once you punch up the highlights(uppers) to a point you like. Glaze over it again with original purple to facilitate blending. Blend to taste. :) When you glaze over push the glaze into the deepest recesses. 

Your picture has good lighting. You could honestly look at this picture while painting and do the technique above in the lightest areas of purple on the cloak.

Step 2: Mid tones (bases color modification)

If by this point you feel the purple is still to much purple (because you want to get away from that purple color a bit more): Using a brown wash or a highly diluted Muddy brown  (or any brown that leans on the dark spectrum) Wash (not glaze) the area focusing a great amount of attention of pushing it toward the recesses (like before) but particular attention at getting it OFF your recently done highlights. The effect will brown your base color (that beautiful purple) without making it go away. Additionally, If/when you create this brown  wash and it feel too dark, use a light grey to brighten it (not a white). If you only have dark grey use a white to brighten the grey, only then use that grey in the brown. Additionally, if you have my personal favorite white, Leather White. I would recommend that. I hardly ever use Pure White, fyi, for anything but eyes and reflection marks, etc.

Step 3: Shadows (or lowers)

I would take that base coat purple and either do one of two things: 1, add a bit of black to it and paint in the recesses until it's a dark purple (put and LED light on it and it should still be purple but just super dark) or 2, take that Muddy brown (or dark brown from Step 2) and add little bit of base coat purple and do the same as 1. 

Step 3: Detailing

To me this guy looks like he is in the middle of something. Maybe he just had an excellent taco and is running around shouting it to everyone or he is fighting zombies, either way he is kicking up a lot of dust. PICTURE IN SPOILER I recently finished a Space marine in which i did just that. (<linked sentence for more pictures). That is (i think) a khaki brown dry brushed and stippled onto his boots. The effect turned out better than I had thought. I would recommend something like that on this guy! It's very simple. Start on the tips of the cloak tales and go up to whatever level looks good to you. 

Spoiler

Primaris Space Marine 21 FINISHED Back Center LOGO.jpg

Well that's my two cents. Thanks for posting. ::):

• Like 1