Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chaosscorpion

Helping out Santa

Recommended Posts

So my 8 yo nephew asked Santa for a fig for D&D.  Here is what he drew so Santa knew what he wanted.

 

20171201_162716.thumb.jpg.966eec9d54fb7a3011e67be92c4dc3e4.jpg

 

So working with my sister this is the fig that was decided on.  

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/02119/sku-down/02119

 

I need to add a plume to the helm, and paint it by Sunday morning when I meet my brother in-law for a hand-off.   I have asked Talespinner's advice and he has been gracious enough to assist me.  Stay tuned for further updates.

 

 

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By JudgeSamson
      Here is my Knight Templar.  This is the first model I painted after about 5 years of not painting any miniatures.




    • By Benwlundy
      I finished my first miniature...sort of...maybe...The Templar Sergeant...In my effort to leave him looking dirty, his tunic just turned out looking like a crappy dry brushing...I need to let him be for a few days and just look at him and see if it grows on me, or if I'll go ahead and correct the tunic...struggled with his buckles, too...very small...Overall I'm really happy with my first miniature effort...and I'd definitely say I've got the bug...really enjoying the process! I really did nothing with the base, as this is not his final resting place...
      Thanks   Ben



    • By Benwlundy
      Hey everyone! My name is Ben. I am a longtime modeler and diorama builder...but I've always worked in 1:8 and 1:6 scale...I am working on my very first true miniature now. I chose one from Reaper's Dark Heaven Legends line-02119: Knight Templar (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/knight templar/sku-down/02119)...I've actually done some more work on this but I need to take more pictures...here's what I had as of yesterday...I realize it's not great, but I don't expect my first minis will be...anyway...very glad to be here!
      Thanks
      Ben






    • By Geoff Davis
      I needed to paint a tartan.  The miniature and the reason are here:

      02178 Knight Templar with Royal MacKenzie Tartan
       
      Painting a tartan in detail would be very hard.  Here is the source material picture I worked from.





      Most of the tutorials I looked at involved painting a black grid and then painting in each square individually.  I'm too lazy, was in too much of a hurry and don't have the quality of eyesight for that. 

      My daughter who is a highland dancer and water colour painter helped me figure it out.  We figured out which of the lines of the tartan would actually be visible at arm’s reach.  Then we worked out which colours are forming those lines.  Tartans aren't generally composed of stripes of solid colours.  The colours come from the mixing of two colours of wool interwoven.  So, we worked out which two colours were involved in each stripe. 




      For example, red and green give you brown.  So, by putting a stripe of green glaze over red basecoat, I get a brown stripe.  If I put a second green stripe over the red at a 90 degree angle, I get another brown stripe, but where the two cross I get a green square with crisp corners.  I put a thinned dot of the green in the middle of that square to deepen the green colour, and voila, a cross hatch of brown stripes and green squares on red.



      Then I sketched a map of it, noting that the tartan is not a perfectly spaced grid, and selected colours which when added together will produce the colours needed. 



      The map: 


      This proved to be still too difficult to paint clearly, so the number of thin lines was further reduced for simplicity. 




      I started with a red basecoat and gave it minimal highlighting and shading.  Then I started with one black line running parallel to the characters belt, midway between hem and belt.  This is marked on the photo below.  This gave me the line from which to measure out and place all the other lines. 



      After that it was, in order:



      - green horizontal stripes



      - green vertical stripes


      - enhance green squares



      - black lines. 



      The lines in the source material are not actually black, they are sets of black lines and blue lines.   So each black line was traced over with blue as well to tone it down  a bit and give a slight blue hue.  It may not seem like much, but the before and after change was remarkable.  Then the very thin yellow lines, with paint thinned somewhat.  Finally a yellow dot at the intersection of the yellow lines. 



      Here's a close-up with the starting line marked. 

      It doesn’t look very good up close, but it looks good from a distance.

      Looks pretty good in other colours, too.
      Iron Wind Metals 67-005 Female Sibeccai 

      I have some miniatures on the way in the mail which I had intended to use for practicing tartan and other free hand designs.  I will post one as a step by step at a later date. 


       
      Geoff
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...