13 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

At first I was just going to say "Do what Nike says, and just do it."

But then I got to thinking that a dragon helmet might be too much. 

And I'm being wishy washy now.

I guess at this point, I'd have to say "I'm not sure, but I'll tell you if you do and it looks wrong"

Not terribly helpful, I know..

Yeah, that is my fear.  I don't want it to end up being too busy either.

• Like 1
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m having great fun following this thread. These guys (girls?) look amazing!

Aren’t you going to add the rings at the end of the handles and the fancy pommels on the sabers ?

Edited by Shpam
  • Like 2

Wow, haven't checked in for several weeks, so much progress!  A dragon shaped helmet sounds very cool... 

Really though, I'll be happy enough no matter what, as long as they actually use their weapons on their enemies, not just to cut the rope that causes the chandelier to fall and entangle Rocksteady and Bebop.  :)

Kang

• Like 4

Too bad the bronze you got isn't cooperating so well for making the armatures.  Have you tried annealing them to soften the bronze so it is easier to work?  I know it works for copper...

Kang

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kang said:

Too bad the bronze you got isn't cooperating so well for making the armatures.  Have you tried annealing them to soften the bronze so it is easier to work?  I know it works for copper...

Kang

Yep, I have to anneal it.  It is the only way I can drill them at all and then it is still pretty hard.  The only problem is if I work harden an area to pose it, then sculpt, then later realize that I need a hole or to bend it, I can't re-anneal without burning the putty.

• Sad 1

As I said before, I want to do the next 6 of these in pewter, because the bronze was so hard to work with. I spent the better part of my weekend preparing the mold.. Friday night, I cast and prepared a wax tree of new shells and heads:

IMG_E3659.JPG.b63fddf337a63980562ab6e9e776c8cf.JPG

I recently ran out of my old investment, so I got a new one that has a better formula that nearly eliminates the air-borne silica particles which is not something one wants to breathe in.  The down side is that this formula requires about 4 hours longer burnout than the old one.  So I mixed the investment on Saturday night after church and let it harden overnight.  Sunday morning, I began the burnout.  Note that I don't actually need to be in attendance for the whole 13 hour process, but I don't like leaving a 1350 deg F oven running without checking on it regularly either.  By the end of the day it was getting late, I was tired and wanted to get to bed.  I did the pour and everything went well.  The downside was that my flask was a bit too hot yet and the pewter wasn't solidifying.  So I let it sit while I helped my wife.  Later, I came down and quenched it, without checking it first.  The metal was still molten in parts of it (how hot did I have it anyway?!).  When I quenched it it ran into the water, ruining the whole mold.  Yesterday, I power-washed it, but nothing was salvageable:

:grr:   :down:

IMG_E3668.JPG.aee8f94645cba70a3e40bd9280ad35cf.JPG

I really need to get these going if I am going to make my December deadline.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to do another casting until mid October, but I need to start these way before then.  Fortunately, I still have three bronze ones left.  I don't want to use them, but they are better than not getting done at all, so last night I annealed and pickled the shells and heads.  These three will give me something to start on until I can cast the other three in October.  Hopefully, the new diamond drill bits I bought at ReaperCon will cut better then my old bits did.

IMG_E3669.JPG.7cd94c693422effb0d9ea0dcffe185f5.JPG

• Like 4
  • Sad 11