After ALL this Time I am going to Post a  WIP ???

Well, I broke all my rules about painting a miniature with this one. 

I designed the BASE FIRST (do that last Normally).

Attached the figure to the base, its glued and pinned (becoming a nut-job really).

So now I have to paint this puppy on its base, and I have NO CLUE as to what it is.

Two eyes, claws, lots of mouth, furry, and VERY Little.  Might be smaller than my dwarf that I posted.

I believe it is.

So I'll try to post photos as I go about this.  Maybe I'll learn something, maybe not.

Here is the start of the little Woolly creature on his base made from a piece of 1000 year old oak bark,

taken from the area where the crotch of a limb might have been. 

Toss a comment in if you feel like it.

Jay

lw001.jpg

LW002.jpg

LW003.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 13

That's going to be one Fuzzy set of eye balls. Can't wait to see what you do with it. ::):

• Like 1

The Fuzzies are furry take offs on Squigs...they look like they came from a Jim Henson flick. I usually do the bases & attach the minis to the base; re, it is easier for moi that way.

I am really looking forward to your progress with the Little Fur Ball. HAVE FUN!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

That's going to be one Fuzzy set of eye balls. Can't wait to see what you do with it. ::):

Thank You Arc 724.  I'll be amazed by the completion of this mini also !

I really don't know what I am doing yet.

I am sure I will figure it out.  :)

OH ISN'T that ancient OAK a GIFT to work with, I am so lucky to have scooped up a basket

of its bark.  I love that I found those bends where tree branches once grew.  It was ripped apart

by a wind storm last winter !!!

Thanks for your support.

Jay

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

The Fuzzies are furry take offs on Squigs...they look like they came from a Jim Henson flick. I usually do the bases & attach the minis to the base; re, it is easier for moi that way.

I am really looking forward to your progress with the Little Fur Ball. HAVE FUN!

Thank you my friend.

I did think that this creature was right up your alley.  You would have a blast unleashing your

talents on it, and incorporating this into your forest.  (Which makes the challenge extra sweet to me).

Thanks for your support !

Jay

Edited by Jasonator
Typo
  • Like 3

Nice project!

For the eyes take a look at how people paint chibi eyes.

Especially the monster types.

I think it would help for this guy.

Stuff like this:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2fec895ad6ed84407c92ea576172cdd2.pngimage.thumb.png.2201359d42fe2b4476053031a191893d.pngimage.png.1b23b99085fdfa233ffa1ba1f5d6db7c.png

• Like 1

I don't know if your a star trek fan but that kind of reminds me of a Tribble in the episode "Trouble with Tribbles".

Albeit a slighty "MAL-efied monstrous version of one!

tribble.jpg.15de6a88a29615bd6ca36a77e701b6c1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I really loved the color of that unfinished bark, but it wasn't going to work for a base raw.

So I got out the old brushes (that would be tossed by now), and loaded them with paint.

Interesting, that I used to do this with a spray can (at 11 degree's F outside) that wasn't happening today.

Much more control this way, also got the black deep into the cracks.  My first discovery, and I like it.

So here is the base painted (its showing a lot of bleed through of a blue tinge [which isn't there] for some

reason.  Here's where I am at present.

Feel free to comment.

LW004.jpg

LW005.jpg

LW006.jpg

LW007.jpg

• Like 14

Are you going to give him a single colour fur?

Like a brown or a grey?

Or are you going to give him a streak or spots with a contrast?

Like a tiger/leopard or badger?

• Like 1

Haven't decided on the Little Woolly's fur yet.  He is so dang small that I am leery of getting too

fancy on it.  My thumbnail is bigger than it is.  I'm pulled to a black/blue color scheme, like dappled with

white spots.  Just want to increase black/gray contrasts on rocks, with a touch of yellow behind figure on cliff.

Thanks for drawing that to my attention !  :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jasonator said:

Haven't decided on the Little Woolly's fur yet.  He is so dang small that I am leery of getting too

fancy on it.  My thumbnail is bigger than it is.  I'm pulled to a black/blue color scheme, like dappled with

white spots.  Just want to increase black/gray contrasts on rocks, with a touch of yellow behind figure on cliff.

Thanks for drawing that to my attention !  :)

How about the Black/Blue fur and one white streak on top?

Like a Skunk?

Maybe only on the middle of the head?

image.png.cff441b0fdffa65c6771330a3b7a2e04.png

• Like 3

Thanks Glitter.

How about the Black/Blue fur and one white streak on top?

Like a Skunk?

Maybe only on the middle of the head?

I kinda like the stripe in the middle of the head...

hmmmm.

I finally got rid of all that blue shading !

LW008.jpg

• Like 6

Oh Dear;

Glitter's idea / suggestion may have started bearing fruit already.

I'm playing around and after a few experiments I've decided I like the Orange..

Now come the eyes... I've got a few ideas about them, I don't know if I will go

hysterical, or go sinister, or both.. hmmm...decisions, decisions. 

Here is where the little woolly stands now in this process.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.  You might

spur me on to do something wacky ! 

LW009.jpg

LW010.jpg

LW011.jpg

LW012.jpg

LW013.jpg

• Like 11

I agree that the big, helpless puppy dog eyes are the way to go; re, it creates an air of false security, perfect for the BIG CHOMP.

A red wash over the orange, followed by a dry brush with the orange you are using would look good. 

The Little Fur Ball is coming along WONDERFULLY!

• Like 3