• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dan S
      Dan's Build Journal #1
      Halfling/Hobbit Hole

Completed Project Photos:

My Other Build Journals:

Greetings all!

I recently undertook the task of creating several display pieces to serve as scenic backdrops when photographing my miniatures, however being the procrastinator that I am, I have instead found myself with an ever growing pile of unfinished projects.  In an effort to break this cycle I am no longer allowing myself to start new projects until my current one is complete. I figure a progress journal would be a great way to hold myself accountable, and hopefully by sharing my build process even inspire others into giving diorama building a try.

Anyway, without further ado here is my current work in progress, a good old fashioned hobbit hole.  I managed to pick up a cheap and incomplete resin kit (front wall and chimney) on Ebay a while back.  I painted it about a month ago, and it has sat on my desk gathering dust ever since.  Today I finally started to put in some real work on the build.

29/05/20  -  Laying the foundation.

The first job was to lay the foundations of the build.  I hot glued thick polystyrene sheets to an old photo frame and then cut them to shape using a hot wire cutter.  The challenging part was then getting the front wall to fit convincingly into the hill, being an incomplete kit, the front wall was completely rectangular and just didn't look right no matter how I positioned it. To fix this, I measured out and then cut some thick card stock in to triangular sections, and then cut some thinner strips to match the wooden beams on the front of the house.  I then glued these to the house so that the walls now followed the contours of the hill more organically.  I also made some curtains using some old fabric (The original kit has holes for windows and I needed to hide the polystyrene behind them).

Next I mixed up some Sculptamold and started to cover the polystyrene and base of the picture frame before adding some rocks that I had cast previously with Plaster of Paris (They are probably hard to make out in the photo, as they blend in with the white sculptamold, but once painted they should stand out nicely).  With that done I decided to call it a day, and give the sculptamold the night to fully dry before adding any paint.  And that is pretty much how I spent my Friday afternoon.

Apologies for the poor picture quality, I took the photo during the evening in poor lighting with my ancient phone camera.  I'll get some better pictures up once I have something more substantial to share.

• By 72moonglum
      So I'm working on a really small figure a newish Tom Meier Halfling Druid from DarkSword Miniatures.

I painted the eyes and was kind of satisfied with them but one seems to be bigger than the other, which means I think I painted the black first outside of the target eye that was sculpted. One eye is okay the other one it too big:

so when we get really close to the figure I can see how uneven she is, but she is really, really small:

So my first general question is, would this be enough to frustrate somebody to repaint?  

So with this in mind, the "good" news is I just went from a nice pair of magnifying nerd goggles that go up to around 2.5 to some other ones that I have sitting around that are 3.5 x magnification.  So I almost feel I have a good enough view of the eyes to edit it a little bit.  I'm just wondering if it's all worth it?  Any suggestions?

• By lazarp
      This is my version of a Games workshop Aragorn. I didn't want to paint him as Aragorn since I have two of these same minis so I decide to go for a purple skinned, white haired drow ranger.  I'm going to use him as a swordsman named Vigo in my Rangers of Shadowdeep games.
      This mini was a blast to paint, I like how the highlights turned out. Thanks for looking!

Unpainted mini:

• By lazarp
      So this is my first complete kitbash, this one is made of parts from five different kits. I've made it to be used as a ranger for my Rangers of Shadowdeep warband. Hope you like it! 

With the rest of the gang:

• By Silvervane
      Finally getting back to painting a bit more consistently and finishing things.  Here is one I finished recently, Theo from Zombicide: Wolfsburg.  I'm multi-tasking him to also serve as the ranger for my ranger's of shadowdeep warband.  Hoping to have my warband finished by the end of the month.

Theo

Thanks in advance for and C&C you give.
  • Who's Online   34 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)