Sign in to follow this  
Schirf

02514: Kang, Half Orc

Started working on a mini for someone in my gaming group. As a half-orc oracle of Cayden Cailean, Kang was a perfect fit with a little modification...

Here is he primed and then undercoated in Linen White for skin. The mug was just a little Milliput for the body and green stuff for the top/bottom and to attach.

I would love any feedback or recommendations (including for photographing) along the way. I've just recently returned to painting (after ~20 years) and never really had anyone to offer useful critque when I first learned.

5a490e340eee0_Makoa(1Front).thumb.jpg.955b45fe475b2d4648218139d61cfdc2.jpg

Makoa (2, Back).jpg

Makoa (3, Obl.).jpg

• Like 10

So Makoa here, actually died during our last game. We managed to get him reincarnated however and when he came back, fortune would have it, he was a full blood orc. So my investment and modification were not in vain.

Now here he is with the skin done.

5a49715bf35b4_Makoa(5a).thumb.jpg.14c208d5923170cd96e5793391357437.jpg5a49716464a62_Makoa(5b).thumb.jpg.685b2cab0197636bd75c74e9a6d3d4fb.jpg

• Like 11

The linen white was just an undercoat to bring out the skin tones. For the skin I used the olive triad with a little grass green mixed into the dark triad colors to bring out a little more green (as a note grass green + pale olive does not blend back into the olive triad very well). Then added a little burgundy wine to darken the shadows.

• Like 2

So one of the things I've noticed from taking pics at the various stages it you can really see places you need to work on. For instance in person a lot of the highlights and shading seem more more contrasted than what comes out in the pics. And that's something I've been reading tends to be an area where a lot of people could use work. 

At this point I've added the cloth with the true blue triad. I've also done all the leather parts with a variety of combos of browns and reds. With the leathers I tried to have 3 distinct colors, 1 for the boots, 1 for the armor and strap bits, and 1 for the leg/arm wraps. With the lack of contrast though, I don't feel like it really came out though, either in person or in the pics.

Makoa (6a).jpg

Makoa (6b).jpg

Makoa (6c).jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for following along!

So I've finished the axe handle and metal bits. This is the first time this has really started to go off the rails a bit. I did one layer of metal and hated how it turned out. So I went and started over on that bit after reading through a few TMM tuts. It's better but I'm still not happy with how the blending (or in some cases lack thereof) came out. It was worked up with shadowed steel, nightshade purple, grey liner, and then a little polished silver was mixed in for high lights. Any recommendations for  a  fix wo uld be appreciated. Last up is going to be the fur, hair and basing. 

Makoa (6a).jpg

Makoa (6b).jpg

Makoa (6c).jpg

• Like 6