Getting to Know You, Jan 2018

Thes Hunter

57 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I typically drink single malts, min 12 yr, prefer 15 to 18 (though IMHO there isn't a huge improvement in the 18 over the 15).  

I'm currently working on this one which is actually very very good, despite being a 12 year:

Reveal hidden contents

fullsizeoutput_2436.jpeg?v=1489779995

What is this "working on" thing?  ;)

• Like 3

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, right at the moment as I type this, I'm eating peanut butter and raisins on toast.

Earlier this week, I had a large container of "vanilla honey"-flavored Greek yogurt, in which I mixed the other half of my box of raisins.

On the less healthy side of things, I have a bag of "caramel apple"-flavored caramels upstairs the consumption of which I've been deliberately drawing out over the past three days. They're really good, so I've been making an effort to keep from eating the whole bag at once. I probably will end up going back to the store for another bag this weekend if they're still there - I bought them for half price on clearance, which is the only reason I could justify buying them.

• Like 4

Jan 18th: I tend to be early, with work this gives me a half hour or so to get a cup of coffee and a cigarette in before I'm actually expected to do something. Also I usually arrive before the boss does which means I can actually get things done before being interfered with.

Outside of work it makes me difficult to ambush, and also since bike or public transit is how I get around, leaving early gives me some flex time is something on the bike breaks or the bus gets lost.

Jan 19th: Not so much a snack, but the last week or so I have had a fierce craving for toast.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 19th.

What snack currently brings you the most pleasure?

Not much of a snacker. If I had to choose it would be either chocolate covered pomegranite, think the brand name is Brookside, or Wunderbar. Prefer baked stuff like strudels or cookies but we haven't made or bought any in ages. Despite sitting and laying around most of the time for the last month or so I've actually lost a couple pounds because I didn't have energy enough to forage properly.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Jan 18th: I tend to be early, with work this gives me a half hour or so to get a cup of coffee and a cigarette in before I'm actually expected to do something. Also I usually arrive before the boss does which means I can actually get things done before being interfered with.

Outside of work it makes me difficult to ambush, and also since bike or public transit is how I get around, leaving early gives me some flex time is something on the bike breaks or the bus gets lost.

Jan 19th: Not so much a snack, but the last week or so I have had a fierce craving for toast.

You sure you don't live in Edmonton?  Our buses are all "Your reliable way to work" to which I always add "if you want to be late when we say you'll be ten minutes early".   They operate on a schedule that usually will have you half an hour early for work, or five minutes late.  So weird. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 19th.

A lot of snacks can pretty much kill me, so I'm more or less relegated to cheeses, nuts, and meat. I do like popcorn when my blood sugar can handle it; sweet and salty is delicious, and right now there's a store that has a mix of caramel popcorn and buffalo sauce flavored popcorn, called Sweet 'N' Heat. They go together quite wonderfully.

My gaming group mourns that we haven't gotten together in a long while, since I'm the one that brings so many different snacks to it. I like variety and want to try them all, but I can't eat all of it due to my diabetes so I like sharing with everyone. One of the ones they loved the most was peanut butter-filled peanut butter, as I call it. It was a pretzel pocket filled with peanut butter, and then dipped in a peanut butter coating. Sounds redundant, but they actually go together extremely well. An entire container usually didn't last more than 10 minutes, and the addictiveness of it has been equated to hard drugs. Unfortunately, it's no longer offered around here.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 5

On 1/18/2018 at 11:09 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Jan 18:

Are you a prompt person? Why or why not? 

If it's a meeting of some sort, I try to be prompt, because I feel like it'd be disrespectful of others' time to expect them to wait for me.

If it's something that I'm doing, then it's more a matter of the mood I'm in, how busy I am, and whether I see any problems with putting it off ::P:

13 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 19th.

There are these little dark chocolate squares that I'm borderline addicted to at the moment.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

I didn't know you could get those in Texas. 

I didn’t either. For the longest time I would drive past their closed restaurants which have become other franchises and I would have a sad.  :down:

But then, I spotted some in a grocery store  bakery.....!! :bday:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I found a peanut butter and chocolate trail mix. It's got these Chex like cereal squares that are coated in peanut butter and melt in your mouth. So good. Need to pick up more soon.

Like Muddy Buddies? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Like Muddy Buddies? 

Not sure what those are but it's the Target brand trail mix. I think it's actually just called peanut butter and chocolate trail mix.

ETA: I guess though if I had to pick a snack that has always brought me pleasure it'd be sour pickles. I can't find them anywhere here and it makes me sad. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to order pickles.

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Not sure what those are but it's the Target brand trail mix. I think it's actually just called peanut butter and chocolate trail mix.

Muddy buddies are made and bagged nowadays, but I think that Chex caught on due to people making them at home. I made them with my dad long before I ever saw them in store. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/229544/chex-muddy-buddies/

• Like 4

On 1/18/2018 at 10:09 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Jan 18:

Are you a prompt person? Why or why not? 

Generally yes.  The whole "early is on time" thing started in high school band for me, then I spent 20 years in the Army.  Lately it's a matter of how important I deem the event to be.  Work stuff, early.  Stuff that I've been invited to, early but try not to be so early that I'm imposing on the host.  Stuff for the kids, early.  Something I'm moderately interested in and timeliness isn't important and I'm not meeting anyone, I may be a little late.  However, I have noticed that I've been more likely to be early since the divorce.

19 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 19th.

Normally ice cream (of almost any flavor) is my kryptonite, but lately my sweet tooth has really wanted chocolate much more than usual.  Neither are good for my weight goal.

• Like 3