Getting to Know You, Jan 2018

Thes Hunter

6 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Most likely to prevent the forums from devolving into rampant colonialism.

KFC was always Toonie Tuesday here, but then they changed it to $2.22 Toonie Twos-day, and then they charged $3 bucks and still called it Toonie Tuesday, for some strange reason.

Thankfully, once they hit $3.29 or $3.69 they finally stopped calling it toonie Tuesday... 

34 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Best work on them soon, before they riot and come after you...

When I was in the Navy and we were at sea Friday was always sliders (hamburgers) day.

Other than that, no.

Seems odd that a job requiring higher calororic intake would serve appetizer sized burgers.... I always thought the navy was cool and if they did burgers would have not only full size ones, but half pound gigantors of doom that are also cheese and bacon stuffed or something epic like that.  :p

(I grew up around the air force, although technically lived on an army base for most of my initial life) 

• Like 6

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Thankfully, once they hit $3.29 or $3.69 they finally stopped calling it toonie Tuesday... 

Seems odd that a job requiring higher calororic intake would serve appetizer sized burgers.... I always thought the navy was cool and if they did burgers would have not only full size ones, but half pound gigantors of doom that are also cheese and bacon stuffed or something epic like that.  :p

(I grew up around the air force, although technically lived on an army base for most of my initial life) 

Navy sliders are standard 1/4lb hamburger patties; not the mini ones that most restaurants have on their appetizer menu.  On subs, they were usually the frozen patties, but depending on what the food loadout was, sometime they hand made the patties.  they were served with bacon though.  So much bacon. 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

WEDNESDAY- (I needed to remind myself cause I kept thinking it was Monday or a Tuesday.) 

Jan 24th, 

Today is HUMP Day! And for a reason... I associate it with Tacos. Even though it is not Tuesday, and tacos are for Tuesday. 

Do you have any food you associate with a particular day of the week? (Especially hump day.) 

If so why?

No, I don't.  Sorry, I'm dull in this regard.

My wife and I have a tradition of drinking mead when it snows.  However, since I was stuck working from home (and being the only person capable of doing so), that didn't happen for last week's snow.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Most of my food/day correlations were Navy based as well.  Tuesday's were Tacos,  Wednesdays usually pasta, Friday was slider day, and Saturday for midrats (or before pulling in) was pizza night. 

Sadly Merchant Navy food isn't so good. Chicken 3-4 times a week and a steak on Sundays. None of it terribly well cooked. It's a sad state of affairs when you get fed up with steak.

• Like 7

On 1/18/2018 at 10:09 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Jan 18:

Are you a prompt person? Why or why not? 

Yes, I always try to be on time or early.  Making people wait by being late is self-centered rudeness.

On 1/22/2018 at 1:49 PM, Inarah said:

Jan 22

If you were asked to design a new line of minis for an under-represented segment of the hobby, what would you create?

Paleozoic and early to mid Cenozoic fauna, especially the mega-fauna.  If I could be assured that they would be wanted by a mini company, I'd already be sculpting them.  I especially like the early mammal-like reptiles such as the Gorgonopsids.

Spoiler

1024px-Inostrancevia_4DB.jpg

On 1/23/2018 at 12:03 AM, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 23rd. 

What hobbying did you accomplish this weekend?

(and if no hobbying, what other thing did you accomplish?)

I spent the weekend chiseling moldy rot out of my house where it had grown due to a yet to be discovered leak in my front door somewhere (won't be able to find it and fix it for real until the thaw).

8 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

WEDNESDAY- (I needed to remind myself cause I kept thinking it was Monday or a Tuesday.) 

Jan 24th, 

Today is HUMP Day! And for a reason... I associate it with Tacos. Even though it is not Tuesday, and tacos are for Tuesday. 

Do you have any food you associate with a particular day of the week? (Especially hump day.) 

If so why?

Only fish on Friday during Lent.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 24th, 

If so why?

I always associate Thursday with grilled cheese, because I used to have music lessons on Thursday night, and grilled cheese was something quick and easy to eat beforehand.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 24th, 

If so why?

I guess I could say I consider Sunday to be about comfort foods.  Not any particular food, but multiple different foods that are part of what makes me happy to have them.  Homemade chicken & noodles, Sunday Breakfast, roast.  Things like that. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 24th, 

If so why?

Not really. Sundays during football (American) season tend to be an assortment of snack foods but is hardly mandatory around here. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 24th, 

If so why?

Taco (salad) Tuesday!  I still think of Friday as square slab of pizza day, even though it's been... a long time since I was in elementary school. Now Friday is date night, so the food varies. Weekends are yummy breakfast days, though this morning i made croissant egg, ham/bacon and cheese  sandwiches... YUM!!

• Like 6

On weekends we do time consuming breakfast for two, like pancakes or waffles, or biscuits and gravy. 

Tuesdays one of the local chicken places had a 2.99 meal special I would stop and get after yoga.  

Mostly I try to keep meals from becoming repetitive. 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

That looks amazing!

Food courtesy of Whole Foods Market...alls I did was stack it on a plate and snap a picture. Not visible in the picture (because they are buried) are grilled purple onions; red, orange, and yellow pepper spears; green beans; carrots and the third spinach leaf. (Which got noshed before the pic was snapped.)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 24th, 

If so why?

I used to associate burgers with Friday, since for a time we were being very good about what we ate most nights of the week, and we reserved Friday as junk food night.

Then my kid entered high school, and everything has been sort of a free-for-all the past four years. Very hectic. Hard to plan anything too far ahead of time.

I guess I do think of Tuesday as pizza night, in the back of my mind. The Round Table downtown does 30% off on Tuesdays. Very tempting. But we rarely take advantage of it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 24th, 

If so why?

We used to do half price pizza night on Tuesdays but haven't been doing that lately.

• Like 3