hotdogthebarbarian

LTPK Minis 08906 Skeletal Archer Orc Marauder Mangu

Painted 2/17 with LTPK received at Xmas. Asked for it after tough experience painting minis with Folk Art craft paints. (See bugbear warrior post.) Soooo much easier! It was like a different art form altogether.

I followed the directions verbatim with the skeleton. I like greyish orcs so changed the skin tone and some other colors. IIRC, Mangu is per the painting guide.

5a4a8730aed78_LearntoPaintminis.thumb.jpg.222780c90d5ab410d49d3d77fd032cd4.jpgMangu.thumb.jpg.5af6927f158510a4d6d5235a4befc3ad.jpg5a4a87365e136_orcmarauder.thumb.jpg.bb383e4b375fdab52f96339ff3ca786f.jpg

• Like 20

They look great!  You have very good brush control, which will serve you well.  Remember as long as you are having fun, you are doing it right!

• Like 1

Thanks Citrine. I watched a YT video (I believe it was Sam Lenz) and he recommended using a brush that is one size bigger than seems comfortable. It's been good for me as it keeps me from being sloppy with the "extra space" provided by smaller brushes; which is what I was doing at first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotdogthebarbarian said:

Thanks Citrine. I watched a YT video (I believe it was Sam Lenz) and he recommended using a brush that is one size bigger than seems comfortable. It's been good for me as it keeps me from being sloppy with the "extra space" provided by smaller brushes; which is what I was doing at first.

Sam Lenz is good to follow!  He gives great tips and is an amazing artist!  Just don't become a brush licker like he is!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Fire_Eyes
      I decided that with my Bones 4 refrigerator box looming on the horizon, I should just get some of my old Bones painted. I knew I wouldn't devote the time to getting any of these ultra pretty, so they had just been sitting in a bag unless I needed to throw some placeholders on the map during a game. One Sunday, I powered through as many as I could just to get them done.

Vandorendra (NSFW)

Funnily enough, I was just as proud of some of these as some of the nicer paint jobs I've done, since I was able to let go and just let them be imperfect, and they were done and out of my to be painted pile. 
    • By Arimaythea
      Hi!  I'm brand new to the hobby and stumbled across the forums, so I thought I'd share my first WIP photos.  I started playing in my first DnD campaign in December and the other players painted their own player character minis, which made me want one of my own (and one for my husband, who also plays in the same campaign.)  I snagged the two LTPKs then started watching all the videos I could find on mini painting.  I have no background in art/painting so it has been refreshing to give it a shot!  However I am also in the rabbit hole now of wanting all the colors, basing supplies, tools.... lol.

The minis in this kit are:
      77018 Skeleton Archer
      77042 Orc Marauder
      77148 Mangu Timur

I pretty much followed the book for how to paint the skeleton archer.  The main differences being that I ordered the kit of Citadel washes after seeing so much praise for them, and I used a few slightly different paint shades (like dragon bronze for the metal bits instead of blade steel.)  I still need to base him (cover that mold line between his feet!) but otherwise I'm pretty happy with him for being my first mini - he could use some weathering and higher contrast, but I sealed him before learning about weathering and the benefits of exaggerated contrast.

My current WIP is the orc.  I still have to do some highlighting passes because I don't think I've got enough contrast in the skin yet.  I need to highlight the metal as well (haven't done that yet.)  I'd like to attempt some weathering on the leather to make it look more worn, and try my hand at rust on the metal bits.  I'm pretty happy with how my attempt at making the shield look wooden turned out (thanks YouTube!)  I also found an oval base I might try to base him on since it fits his wide pose, but he'll be pretty big for using on a standard tabletop grid.

Haven't touched the Mangu Timur model yet!  I also need to get a better setup for photos, I was having trouble getting decent shots of these guys.  

I appreciate your thoughts on my work so far, thank you!  I'm excited to join in.
    • By DankDungeonMaster
      Finished my version of Mangu Timur just now. The pictures may not be that great 'cause i'm a bad photographer. Would like you guys to say what you think of it.

• Who's Online   27 Members, 1 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)