Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix Rising

Tips for light wood tones like natural oak/pine?

I'm wondering what people use to reproduce natural or light varnished oak and pine wood. Darker woods and weathered wood aren't too difficult with Reaper's paint selection, but I can't seem to find the right combo to get anything close to natural oak or pine - either the "neutral" light wood color of oak or the yellower tones of pine and varnished oak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

Personally I would go with the Warm light Brown Triad.  Then add in there a little of the Terran Khaki for highlights. 

Thanks for the start on this! Here's what I wound up with for an Oak...

I'm working on DwarvenForge pieces, so the starting material is dark, not white Bonesium. Base coat in Leather Brown. Wash in Chestnut Brown, trying to get a decent coat in crevasses but not much on top. Re-wash lightly in Leather Brown - don't want too much Chestnut... I didn't have the rest of the Warm Brown triad, so followed with a liberal drybrush of 2-pt Leather Brown to 1-pt Pokorny Stone Edge (equivalent to one of the yellow bone colors I think). Highlight with Desert Sand light drybrush - liked it more than the Khaki.

The result is a bit sandy compared to the image, but pretty decent; perhaps a bit more Chestnut on the wash isn't so bad...

20180101_190737-468x471.jpg.1bed5405c14110ef323c20a9d59b94b3.jpg

Inside of a wagon wheel for testing...

For the yellower Pine, the Golden Blond looks like a good option for the first drybrush. A final wash of Leather Brown might work to yellow up the tone if that's not available.

Edited by Phoenix Rising
  • Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      I'm a fan of the Scale 75 paints, they have a new range called artist colors.
      The paint comes in tubes.

I wonder if anyone has tried these?
      You're thoughts on these?

• By Inarah
      My husband and I run the Paint and Take table at a local convention, Recruits.  It's held at the high school, admission is free for all area students, games are child friendly, etc.  We get really good turnout.  The paint table is free for kids of all ages, even grownup kids, and it is funded entirely with donations.  All of the figures, all of the paint, water cups, brushes, etc come from the wonderful community we have here, from the internet, and from vendors.  It's typical for me to arrive early Saturday to set up and find one or more anonymous boxes of figures or paint waiting.  A couple of years ago at Reapercon folks helped fill a box with mouslings for me to give away.  I could not do this without the support I get from the painting and gaming community. 

So here is this year's class:

(BTW, if you got stuff in your Bones4 core that you do not want, find me at next year's Reapercon, I will see it goes to a good cause)

This is our table about ten minutes after setting up.  Busy the entire day. 

Some of the fine works of art created by the kids who participated.  They look forward to this all year. 

Got to pick up more baby dragons next year. I only had the one and it resulted in crying. :(  

More later, 
    • By Disciple of Sakura
      http://kck.st/2mr5iKg

An enormous wooden d20 capable of holding up to a pound of dice. I haven't got one of these yet, but I have gotten some other items from Munchkin Metropolis, and was really satisfied with how quickly the items were produced and arrived. Great quality, too.
    • By Face_Rollan
      Good morning guys! 

Q: if buying one of the reaper core sets (108 bottle set), what's the main difference in them? 

I'm looking into buying a complete paint set. I've been doing a ton of research and have settled on a reaper core set (i already own several reaper paints and love them).  I know that everyone suggests a blend of several companies based on which has the best,  e.g. yellow,  or metallics. I just want to make it simple, buy a set and build from there. 

I'll mostly be painting 40k and privateer press models with some terrain and 3d prints mixed in (i have a cheapo set of acrylics from Michael's for large terrain and 3d prints).

I've also considered the Vallejo Model set, and Army Painter Mega Set.

Thanks in advance! 
    • By Tutakho
      A noobish question, should I thin down reaper washes? Or are they ready to use out of the dropper? 
      Sorry if this has been asked. 

• Who's Online   18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 281 Guests (See full list)