WIP 03098: Astrid by Cyr. Destressing Project

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit more

So I've been stressing a lot over Life Things (but probably good things). Before going back to my super detail heavy awesome figure, I'm doing a figure for my D&D campaign. I'm using this one as o

Bit more work on it last night. 

Posted Images

The green is really intense!! I was staring at my paint and going "I should paint a thing and destress" and kinda just went "what the heck, bright friggin' green". Not quite randomized, but close. 

It is part of my new paint set, the Orcs & Goblins set by Scale 75. I like some of their paints, and the colors on these are vivid, but the coverage for the greens is pretty terrible I'm finding. The Steampunk set is much better. The base coat of red on her corset is from the Shades of Doom, and the red is doing really well. The gold trim on the top of her boobs is the Reaper NMM triad, plus Hyreky (something like that) Yellow from Scale 75 and Reaper Pure White. The yellow is a very pale yellow, like... hmm. Like the color of aged gouda cheese? More yellow than Linen White, but more white than the other Reaper yellows that I have. It covers pretty nicely. 

Edited by Cyradis
  • Like 4

My Reaper greens, except for I think Grass Green, have had solid coverage. That's out of the Moss Greens, Brilliant Greens, and Cool Greens as triads I was using for the big detailed project I have going. The Olive Green triad never gave me issues either. Haven't tried the Warm Greens. So.... 1/12 as poor coverage is pretty good. Both of the Scale 75 greens I have out are pretty low coverage. Their reds, purples, browns, and that pale yellow are amazing so far though. Still need to try their blues that I have. 

• Like 2

Scale 75 has the best metallics..

Greens, I use Vallejo Game colour, Scale 75 and Reaper, I found the Vallejo ones to have the best coverage.

Also Scale 75 Greens like Forest Green and such.

The Goblin Green set has bad coverage indeed, needs more shaking than Shaking Stevens..

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Scale 75 has the best metallics..

Greens, I use Vallejo Game colour, Scale 75 and Reaper, I found the Vallejo ones to have the best coverage.

Also Scale 75 Greens like Forest Green and such.

The Goblin Green set has bad coverage indeed, needs more shaking than Shaking Stevens..

Just got some of those Vallejo colors. Maybe should've used those or my Reaper ones, but wanted to try these first. *shrug* It is a fart-around figure, not a special one. Still don't have Scale 75 metallics, since I haven't been using metallics lately. Probably will snag some in the near future. I'm hoping that the goblin set has some that are decent; the colors are amazingly vivid. Perhaps they'll make better glazing colors for fancy projects. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Just got some of those Vallejo colors. Maybe should've used those or my Reaper ones, but wanted to try these first. *shrug* It is a fart-around figure, not a special one. Still don't have Scale 75 metallics, since I haven't been using metallics lately. Probably will snag some in the near future. I'm hoping that the goblin set has some that are decent; the colors are amazingly vivid. Perhaps they'll make better glazing colors for fancy projects. 

I have hundreds of paint..Reaper, Vallejo and Scale 75 are the majority.

The Goblin Set is not the best one, while I really love Scale 75 paints, I have found this one to be a bit less.

These days I open the pot and stir it with a wooden kebab skewer, else these greens won't mix well.

Their other greens like Ardenne Green, Forest Green etc are marvellous though.

The Metals are the best in the field.

Vallejo Game colour is awesome too and Reaper MSP is my other favorite.

Still have some old Citadel and GW pots and some P3.

Will not be buying those anymore.

I did buy a set of Andrea Whites, these are very good too!!!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

So I've been stressing a lot over Life Things (but probably good things). Before going back to my super detail heavy awesome figure, I'm doing a figure for my D&D campaign. I'm using this one as one of the princesses who happens to be a wandering bard. I filed her ears down to be human instead of elf. I think I put a bit more highlighting on the face and chest after these pics, and I put on a hideously bright green for her main clothing bits. 

20180102_192701.jpg

20180102_192651.jpg

6 hours ago, SGHawkins09 said:

Great job on the face!

5 hours ago, rfusca said:

Wow! Really nice job on the face. Mad skills. 

Complete agreement. That’s a magnificent face! Nuance, realism, expression, wow!

As for green paints, their coverage will depend on the pigments used. Most brilliant greens are based on the Phthalocyanines, either the green or the blue, which are intense but as transparent as glass. Any opacity would need to come from other pigments.

To put it another way, most greens will cover only as well as all the colors in the mix which aren’t the green,

A really bright yellow-green, like this one, will generally have the same problems in coverage as whichever bright lemon yellow has been blended with it.

(There are some green and yellow pigments with better coverage which are generally avoided because they are health hazards.)

The handling of the green here is very nice!

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have hundreds of paint..Reaper, Vallejo and Scale 75 are the majority.

The Goblin Set is not the best one, while I really love Scale 75 paints, I have found this one to be a bit less.

These days I open the pot and stir it with a wooden kebab skewer, else these greens won't mix well.

Their other greens like Ardenne Green, Forest Green etc are marvellous though.

The Metals are the best in the field.

Vallejo Game colour is awesome too and Reaper MSP is my other favorite.

Still have some old Citadel and GW pots and some P3.

Will not be buying those anymore.

I did buy a set of Andrea Whites, these are very good too!!!

Fortunately, I did get this set on sale. And although the colors are annoying, geez are they bright. They'll just go to a different purpose in the future. I'll keep the Ardenne and Forest Green in mind when I order stuff from them next. The one I ordered was the Creatures from Hell pack, because it looked like it had good reds and oranges, and had a purple I had my eye on. Plus two individual bottles that I went "ooh shiny". Would have gotten the ink set but they were sold out. I've ranted many times about Citadel paints being like Elmer's glue - I won't get those anymore, except for their washes. They have good premade washes. 

7 hours ago, Pingo said:

Complete agreement. That’s a magnificent face! Nuance, realism, expression, wow!

As for green paints, their coverage will depend on the pigments used. Most brilliant greens are based on the Phthalocyanines, either the green or the blue, which are intense but as transparent as glass. Any opacity would need to come from other pigments.

To put it another way, most greens will cover only as well as all the colors in the mix which aren’t the green,

A really bright yellow-green, like this one, will generally have the same problems in coverage as whichever bright lemon yellow has been blended with it.

(There are some green and yellow pigments with better coverage which are generally avoided because they are health hazards.)

The handling of the green here is very nice!

Excellent info on the greens! That certainly matches with my experience on these colors. The other greens I have include a little "something" other than the green (separate with a blue, or have some degree of gray). The Grass Green that does this has similar consistency, and is more pure on the greenness - it doesn't separate into other colors. 

Toxic green... ground up malachite? I gave that to my students as a homework problem (sortof) this semester. Only really bad if inhaled, then it is REALLY bad. I've cut and polished it before and used profuse amounts of water to prevent any dust. Probably all sorts of other delightfully toxic pigments around too. 

The only real issue with the green to me is that if I goof an area, it is really really difficult to fix up. This figure has a lot of nooks and crannies I didn't think of when I picked her up, so bumping has happened. Fixing those has mucked up the smoothness in a few areas (her inner thigh is one). On areas where things went well, goodness gracious this stuff is smooth. I'm debating some free-hand on those pants for the heck of it, but not sure what yet. Maybe I'll pop onto a fabric store website for pattern ideas.... 

Thanks for the compliments. Glad you are liking her so far ::D:

Edited by Cyradis
  • Like 2

I have ground my own malachite green, in water, well wetted, and stored under water as recommended in the 14th century art manual I referred to.

Regrettably, with that mineral the choices tend to be either “too sandy” or “too pale”.

Ditto the related azurite blue.

I made my own verdigris too, although I never used it owing to its instability being almost singlehandedly responsible for all the dark brown-black foliage in so many Renaissance paintings.

Chromium Oxide Green was such an improvement. Pity about the heavy metals thing.

• Like 2

Aww shucks, why do the pretty things have to be so hazardous? The azurite and malachite are totally fine to handle at least. I have some sitting on my shelf in a few different habits. The chromium oxide could be a few different things, if I'm not mistaken, dependent on the same thing that can make chromium toxic - valence state. Cr6+ is nasty nasty stuff. Cr0 and Cr3+ don't cause trouble (but likely aren't as pretty). 

• Like 3