Desert Ranger: Dark Sword Female Ranger

SGHawkins09

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the texturing on the cloak a lot! The leg shading went really well too. The leg she stands on is tough to shade, and imo, doesn't need much due to position - the raised one does, and you got it. Your theme is wonderful, and the colors match. 

C&C? Needs a touch of pink on the face, not much. It is well and consistently shaded, but almost reminds me of finely sculpted clay instead of skin. Wee bit of pink will put the humanness into it. 

The top of the boot on her raised leg needs highlighting. It reads as darker than the boot-sides, when it should be lighter - as the leg is. 

Very much a piece to be proud of ::D:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I like the texturing on the cloak a lot! The leg shading went really well too. The leg she stands on is tough to shade, and imo, doesn't need much due to position - the raised one does, and you got it. Your theme is wonderful, and the colors match. 

C&C? Needs a touch of pink on the face, not much. It is well and consistently shaded, but almost reminds me of finely sculpted clay instead of skin. Wee bit of pink will put the humanness into it. 

The top of the boot on her raised leg needs highlighting. It reads as darker than the boot-sides, when it should be lighter - as the leg is. 

She is from Italy, therefore darker skin and not much .... errr ... pink.

But afar from that, I second Cyradis thoughts. Great work on the highlighting and absolutely a piece to be proud of.

P.S.: Well - I think her eyebrows are a big thick.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thank you for the feedback! Getting more color into faces is something that I plan on working on this year. Until recently, skin has been a challenge for me overall. Now that I think it finally has clicked for me, I can start working on improving it. 

4 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

She is from Italy, therefore darker skin and not much .... errr ... pink.

But afar from that, I second Cyradis thoughts. Great work on the highlighting and absolutely a piece to be proud of.

P.S.: Well - I think her eyebrows are a big thick.

Thanks! In regards to the eyebrow, yeah another thing I need to work on but who knows maybe she chooses not to pluck them. ::P:

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Very good!

Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

She’s lovely.

As for criticism, and it is minor, there is a thing about women’s faces in miniature that has been more and more visible to me. It’s how the highlights on their cheeks are brought right up to their lower eyelash line.

But real faces don’t look like that. The eye socket is larger than the eye and there is a sort of sunken area under the lid and above the cheek. The swell of the cheek does not start until below the entire socket.

The way these faces are painted, I am beginning to see the cheeks as a little swollen, as if the figure has a mild case of mumps.

I find on medium-darker skinned people, like from the Middle East or South Asia, that area can sometimes be a darker color. If it’s puffy the person has “bags” under their eyes. Even if it is normal skin color, the light hits it differently since it is from a different angle than the cheek skin. Sometimes with very fair people the undereye area is pale but the cheeks themselves are flushed - a tricky paint job to make look correct without messing up visual perceptions.

Anyhow, that is my two obols. It is a lovely paint job.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

She’s lovely.

As for criticism, and it is minor, there is a thing about women’s faces in miniature that has been more and more visible to me. It’s how the highlights on their cheeks are brought right up to their lower eyelash line.

But real faces don’t look like that. The eye socket is larger than the eye and there is a sort of sunken area under the lid and above the cheek. The swell of the cheek does not start until below the entire socket.

The way these faces are painted, I am beginning to see the cheeks as a little swollen, as if the figure has a mild case of mumps.

I find on medium-darker skinned people, like from the Middle East or South Asia, that area can sometimes be a darker color. If it’s puffy the person has “bags” under their eyes. Even if it is normal skin color, the light hits it differently since it is from a different angle than the cheek skin. Sometimes with very fair people the undereye area is pale but the cheeks themselves are flushed - a tricky paint job to make look correct without messing up visual perceptions.

Anyhow, that is my two obols. It is a lovely paint job.

Thank you and that is a very good point about the highlight under the eyes. I started doing it after taking Derek Schubert's Expressive Eyes and Faces class where he explained doing it to draw your eye to the figure's eyes and thus to their face. Now I can totally be miss remembering those instructions and/or not executing it properly, I will have to take another look at the handout when I get home. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SGHawkins09 said:

Thank you and that is a very good point about the highlight under the eyes. I started doing it after taking Derek Schubert's Expressive Eyes and Faces class where he explained doing it to draw your eye to the figure's eyes and thus to their face. Now I can totally be miss remembering those instructions and/or not executing it properly, I will have to take another look at the handout when I get home. 

I first noticed the effect on CoolMiniOrNot, so it might not be that you misremembered, but rather that this is a convention in the hobby.

44 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I first noticed the effect on CoolMiniOrNot, so it might not be that you misremembered, but rather that this is a convention in the hobby.

I would say it is a convention in the hobby, Derek's class was just the first time I heard a reason for why it is done and that reason is maybe what I am misremembering.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

That texture on her cloak is amazing!  I would really like to see a WIP on that to see how you managed it. 

Thank you! Unfortunately I don’t have any WIP pics for this one but I plan on doing more texture in the future so there might be a WIP for another sometime. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Silvervane said:

Lovely Work you have there.  I cant really add and C&C that hasn't already been posted.  Well other than that I really dig the cloak.  If mine turns out half as well as this I'll be happy.

Thanks! The cloak was really fun to do but a little nerve wreaking when it came time to do the little bit of freehand at the bottom. I was so afraid I was going to mess it up and have to redo all that texturing.

• Like 1