Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
My wife went on a backpacking trip for a few days, and I've been using the time to get working on a bunch of painting projects. This is the first that I've finished. I used them to try pigment fixing for the first time, and it was pretty cool! Most of it got covered up by the grass, but this was intentional, and why I chose to use them for my first try.
I also had some tree stumps from Secret Weapon, and thought that it would be cool to try painting them like white birch trees. I really like the way that they came out, and I'm sure I'll be doing those again sometime.
When I first started painting minis about a year ago, I was pretty broke. Mini painting is not an easy hobby to support when you're broke, especially when starting out. I didn't really play any tabletop games, I sure as heck couldn't afford GW models, and I wasn't yet aware of Reaper. To cut my teeth, I kept an eye out for cheap board games with pieces I could practice on. I stumbled across a half-price copy of Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu from Z-Man Games. While the minis included aren't really intended for painting, they were good enough for me, and once I'd gathered a little toolkit and some inexpensive paints I eagerly got to work on my slapdash painting training program.
Pics in the thingy!
I started out with the player characters...
By Painting Miniatures
I plan on posting something a little more friendly looking very shortly. coughwyrmgeardragoncough but in the mean time I painted this for fun and practice!
Also would take some advice on dealing with small details like a face. On this miniature it was nearly impossible to just paint specific details of the face without smooshing the entire face with paint. I'd wanted to give the figure blood red eyes. That didn't work out and I ended up painting over the face in white to start over again.
I do overall like how this miniature turned out. The bones aren't crispy perfect white, the clothes look like a creature that's been walking through mud and dirt for a long time. Didn't know how to paint the base so I went with some of my extra black wash which worked out as it sort of made it look like it was standing on bone.
Tried a new technique on the scythe. I did the base coat as filigree silver, then I did a paint of dragons blood red, then when that dried i went over it again with the black wash to give it this dried blood effect. A technique that is probably standard but one I personally just learned by experimenting!
Who's Online 30 Members, 4 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)
- Rob Dean
- Lord of the Dish Pit
- Chris Palmer
- Cranky Dog
- Xiwo Xerase
- Knight of the Dinner Table