Jump to content

PaganMegan

Eberron Game! No Auld Grumpies Allowed!

Recommended Posts

Here's another fun thing that Eberron supports but most D&D doesn't: newspapers.

 

The Korranberg Chronicle is the big one, and it publishes in every major city. Canonically, it's a weekly, but I run it as a daily. I use it as a play report and to seed rumours, my players can expect to see one or two articles for every day in-game. 

 

As an actual playing tool, I've used it a few ways...

 

One, as mentioned, to seed rumours and plot hooks. The Sharn edition maintains a crime blotter, so if there's been a string of muggings the party knows and can volunteer to help the Watch.

 

Espionage...the PCs can send, receive or intercept secret messages (the AMC series "Turn" is great for examples). This can be a one time thing, or you can include a string of messages with enough similarities to trigger a player's suspicions.

 

Party disruption and recognition. My players were frustrated for months because their exploits were being followed in the Chronicle, but they didn't know how. Enemies could find or evade them, tombs were raided before they arrived, and their names were all over (and, to the great frustration of the party leader, misspelled). Their serial biographer had knowledge of their plans and conversations, annoyingly shipped the unlikeliest ships, and was generally a thorn they couldn't pluck. They eventually realised it was one of their henchmen, a cleverly disguised journalist. He wasn't really trying to be a problem, he was just after some notoriety for himself...which ironically gained the party great fame. One of the PCs hailed from Karrnath, and her personal style sparked a fashion trend in that country; when the party visited Korth there were legions of teenage girls dressed like the PC, down to bleached witch-streaks in their hair!

  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sanael said:

Here's another fun thing that Eberron supports but most D&D doesn't: newspapers.

 

The Korranberg Chronicle is the big one, and it publishes in every major city. Canonically, it's a weekly, but I run it as a daily. I use it as a play report and to seed rumours, my players can expect to see one or two articles for every day in-game. 

 

As an actual playing tool, I've used it a few ways...

 

One, as mentioned, to seed rumours and plot hooks. The Sharn edition maintains a crime blotter, so if there's been a string of muggings the party knows and can volunteer to help the Watch.

 

Espionage...the PCs can send, receive or intercept secret messages (the AMC series "Turn" is great for examples). This can be a one time thing, or you can include a string of messages with enough similarities to trigger a player's suspicions.

 

Party disruption and recognition. My players were frustrated for months because their exploits were being followed in the Chronicle, but they didn't know how. Enemies could find or evade them, tombs were raided before they arrived, and their names were all over (and, to the great frustration of the party leader, misspelled). Their serial biographer had knowledge of their plans and conversations, annoyingly shipped the unlikeliest ships, and was generally a thorn they couldn't pluck. They eventually realised it was one of their henchmen, a cleverly disguised journalist. He wasn't really trying to be a problem, he was just after some notoriety for himself...which ironically gained the party great fame. One of the PCs hailed from Karrnath, and her personal style sparked a fashion trend in that country; when the party visited Korth there were legions of teenage girls dressed like the PC, down to bleached witch-streaks in their hair!

Newspapers!

 

HANDOUTS!

 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

 

I LOVE handouts in Call of Cthulhu, having something that the players can have right in front of them!

 

And I just realized that we have a GUMSHOE/Pathfinder crossover supplement! Going to have to look at it.

 

GUMSHOE is a weird game, and I like the mechanic for finding clues. The better you roll, the more and better clues you get, but you always get SOMETHING, so the game doesn't end with a failed Perception roll.

 

Trying to think of when and how the PCs can confront the evil silver dragon. If they do it right away, well they are a first level party and he is an old silver dragon.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sanael said:

Here's another fun thing that Eberron supports but most D&D doesn't: newspapers.

 

The Korranberg Chronicle is the big one, and it publishes in every major city. Canonically, it's a weekly, but I run it as a daily. I use it as a play report and to seed rumours, my players can expect to see one or two articles for every day in-game. 

 

As an actual playing tool, I've used it a few ways...

 

One, as mentioned, to seed rumours and plot hooks. The Sharn edition maintains a crime blotter, so if there's been a string of muggings the party knows and can volunteer to help the Watch.

 

Espionage...the PCs can send, receive or intercept secret messages (the AMC series "Turn" is great for examples). This can be a one time thing, or you can include a string of messages with enough similarities to trigger a player's suspicions.

 

Party disruption and recognition. My players were frustrated for months because their exploits were being followed in the Chronicle, but they didn't know how. Enemies could find or evade them, tombs were raided before they arrived, and their names were all over (and, to the great frustration of the party leader, misspelled). Their serial biographer had knowledge of their plans and conversations, annoyingly shipped the unlikeliest ships, and was generally a thorn they couldn't pluck. They eventually realised it was one of their henchmen, a cleverly disguised journalist. He wasn't really trying to be a problem, he was just after some notoriety for himself...which ironically gained the party great fame. One of the PCs hailed from Karrnath, and her personal style sparked a fashion trend in that country; when the party visited Korth there were legions of teenage girls dressed like the PC, down to bleached witch-streaks in their hair!

Eeee! I just GOOGLED Crime and Sharn and got this: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?109256-CSI-Sharn-(Help-create-100-corpses)

 

Grump posted in that thread more than ten years ago!

 

I can use corpses that Grump created in a game where he is playing! ::D:

 

Maybe I should start the game off with some little cases so they can level up a bit and learn the world first or at least my version of the world. Get some uses out of the bodies!

 

This is supposed to be Eberron, not Dragonlunch!

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hee! I may have to ask Grump to run something else after Crimson Throne, not because I have no idea of what I want to do but because I have too many ideas now!

 

Not a full campaign, maybe Call of Cthulhu or Changeling or 7th Sea.

 

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is all the mathing. ::P:

 

Add The Man Who Would Be King to the list of movies. It is in a Victorian time, but otherwise fits right in.

 

Murder on the Orient Express!

 

I definitely want to go pulp with this.

Speaking of Grumpy, time to look innocent! :devil:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wiki http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Eberron_Wiki

 

The Wizards forum for Eberron is GONE!

 

They took down ALL their forums? WHY?

 

Oh gawd! I hadn't been there since 4e started, but why did they kill the whole thing? And over a YEAR AGO? Why didn't I KNOW THIS?!

 

I don't even remember what my handle was  on the forums.

 

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Unit04 said:

The Pathfinder book "Blood of the Moon" is basically all about shifters.

Cool! I think we have the PDF, going to have to look at it.

 

Looks like Blood on the Moon is more in depth than the Shifters in Eberron?

Onga gather resources! RULE TRIBE!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am letting myself get distracted.

 

Instead of little adventures to get things going, I am now thinking of starting with a flashback to the War. Like Dr. Watson in the first episode of Sherlock.

 

The party is going to be getting the band back together. People that worked together before, and KNOW each other.

 

Just not since the end of the War.

 

And the dragon knows their background, and gathers them for the meeting, along with a spook that they knew in the War. CIA style spook, not woooo woooo spook.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Eeee! I just GOOGLED Crime and Sharn and got this: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?109256-CSI-Sharn-(Help-create-100-corpses)

 

Grump posted in that thread more than ten years ago!

 

I can use corpses that Grump created in a game where he is playing! ::D:

 

Maybe I should start the game off with some little cases so they can level up a bit and learn the world first or at least my version of the world. Get some uses out of the bodies!

 

This is supposed to be Eberron, not Dragonlunch!

Are you saying that Auld Grump will unknowingly be in a hell of his own making? :lol:

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Are you saying that Auld Grump will unknowingly be in a hell of his own making? :lol:

Maybe.... :lol:

 

Okay, I don't know the details about the flashback yet, but I know when and where.

 

Just outside the border, when a nation dies, and the Mournlands are born.

 

A rescue mission, I think, with the spook as their handler.

 

Before they cross the border, the Event happens.

 

Gonna need a bunch of the Bones Dark Young, I think.

 

If any of the players insist on going in as all hell breaks loose, then they die unless other players stop them.

 

Then each of the players will wake up in their own beds, from the recurring nightmare of that night. The dead ones stay dead.

 

I am going to try to make the spook seem untrustworthy, right from the beginning, but he is really about 75% trustworthy, with the remaining 25% be withholding information, not betrayal.

 

And one of that unshared information is his motive.

 

Survivor's Guilt.

 

He is not expecting or planning on making it back alive.

 

The dragon is Sidney Greenstreet in Maltese Falcon.

 

Peter Lorre is his changeling lackey. He may kill and replace the spook at some point.

The players will go up a level between the flashback and the current day.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Gonna need a bunch of the Bones Dark Young, I think.

 

You should make Auld Grump paint them for you. Just to mess with him. :devil:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I did in a Pathfinder game I ran a few years back to keep the players from discovering that their patron was actually the big bad was to give him a Ring of Mind Shielding. It helped immediately, as the paladin in the party was a bit metagamey(and paranoid) and used Detect Evil instantly on everyone and everything. Without it, the big bad would have been outed immediately. But I had planned for that from the start, and every time they talked to him he would fiddle with his ring, like a nervous tic, as a very subtle hint. It also had the bonus of being there later in the campaign, had it not been ended by a divorce, to prevent mind reading and other spells that would expose their half-truths and deceptions. And who suspects a simple ring when the person wearing it always detects as true neutral and never lies?

 

Oh, and take a look at the DM's Guild website. You may find that people have already done a lot of converting for you, and a lot of stuff is pay what you want or just a couple dollars. You can also get PDFs of a lot of older official books from there, so it's a great place to browse in general.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool stuff. Are you planning for the mystery of what made the mournland to be a central part of things? I know if I were a PC with nightmares about that day, I'd want to explore it.

 

You could also possibly have some fun with recurring the flashback dream, progressing the timeline of the PCs' past a little each time...either as an intro to new chapters, or as a way of letting them "remember" things they had forgotten about the day (or time that followed).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sanael said:

Very cool stuff. Are you planning for the mystery of what made the mournland to be a central part of things? I know if I were a PC with nightmares about that day, I'd want to explore it.

 

You could also possibly have some fun with recurring the flashback dream, progressing the timeline of the PCs' past a little each time...either as an intro to new chapters, or as a way of letting them "remember" things they had forgotten about the day (or time that followed).

I want this to be ONE of the things that formed the Mournlands, but not the only thing.

 

And yes, I want that mystery to be one of the cores for the players.

 

The mission for the flashback will be retrieving a captured intelligence asset.

 

Starting with some fighting to get to the staging area.

 

The spook does not abandon his people. I am thinking about naming him Johnson. ::P: The thing he is keeping from the PCs is that he would attempt the retrieval even ifbthe asset hadn't gotten the info.

 

And the intell is about the maguffin.

 

The players will be part of the second group, the first group being moved into position during the day, the players waiting for the night.

 

The event will happen just before the players are sent in.

 

The first team is killed long before the players could reach them.

 

Also present will be a warforged named Seven, who will also be there with the dragon.

 

Seven will stop the spook from going in.

 

The dragon is going by the name Mr. Argent. He believes that the maguffin caused the Mournlands when they tried to directly contact a god, and something else answered.

 

Every time they need to deal with him, he will have something going on to keep them off balance.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By vutpakdi
      Traveling Encounters volume 1
      Compelling 5th Edition Challenges For CR1 to CR5
       
      This small project is to fund a collection of little encounters that can be dropped into an existing adventure for low level adventurers.  I backed his previous project for alternate character backgrounds, and he delivered the PDFs early.
       

       

       
    • By Lidless Eye
      Here's some shots from the penultimate session of our D&D game.
       
      The party finally confronts the Sewn Sisters.
      The tiles are from "Dwarven Forge" and "Secret Weapon".  The tables, chairs, and most props are from "Mantic:Terrain Crate", with the cauldron being from an Old Glory Crones set.  
      The Scarecrow & Leomon (Half-Elf Paladin) are from "Reaper Bones".
      The rest of the party are 3D prints, from HeroForge, Desktop Hero, and Miguel Zavala.
      The Sewn Sisters are 3D prints from DarkRealms.
      Everything was hand painted by myself.
       


       
      Cradle of the Death God.
      The tiles are Dwarven Forge.
      The party are 3D prints, with designs from Hero Forge, Desktop Hero, and Miguel Zavala. (One is a Reaper Bones piece)
      The Soulmonger is a 3D print designed by Miguel Zavala.  The God That Never Was is a 3D design by Duncan "Shadow" Louca.
      Everything was painted by myself.  I also added LEDs.
       

       
       
       
    • By PandorasGhost
      Hey everybody!
       
      Tried to get the word out by word of mouth, and decided on here might be a good way to go about it as well. The tables for gaming had to be altered from what was on the printed schedule due to some logistics issues. (Logic?! At a con?! Say it isn't so.)
       
      Games on GrowTix should reflect accurate locations (and hopefully always reflected accurate times). Also, there are printed schedules available on the table just beside registration. ALSO, ALSO, I attached the Xcel spreadsheet of the schedule if anyone wants to peruse.
       
      Joseph Wolf's Dreadmere games are still at Table 1 - under the big Dredmere banner. Tables 2 ,3, and 10 are various Roleplaying games, as per the schedule Table 4 is an all-day, every-day Freeblades demo - drop by and check it out! Tables 6 thru 9 are for Gamers looking for Pathfinder/Starfinder D&D Adventure League is now tables 11 thru 23, but Gamers taking part in DDAL are encouraged to head to Table 18, where Colby (and crew) will be marshaling GMs, getting players into games, and generally just controlling the madness of League events. Tables 24 thru 28 are going to host Frog God Games (in the Arabian rooms) ReaperCon 2019 Gaming.xlsx
    • By Jasper_the_2nd
      We're starting a new 5th Ed D&D campaign in a couple weeks.  I decided I might play a rogue, so I wandered down to the LFGS at lunch and looked at what was there (because I obviously have NO miniatures already I could use).
      Spotted the Tabaxi Rogue female pack from WizKids (I like the sculpts and poses of the female figs more than the male ones) so that's going to be my next character.

      Cool fig, primer isn't too bad.  Some nasty mold lines but I only have a week to paint this so I'm not messing with them.  Maybe after I'll clean up the "advanced" version and do a better job on her.
       
      And after some time fiddling with colours.

       
      Well, that looks a mess.  Just figuring out colours.
      Skin base is MSP Alien Flesh.  Cloth is MSPB Succubus Kiss. Had AV Model Air Black handy so used that to start base coating metals.  And leather is MSP Leather Brown.  Still not sure on the leather but I'll give it some time to think about it and maybe try a wash on it.
       
    • By golldan
      The unpainted mini from the D&D Stranger Things Beginner set. The one they give you is more tan/taupe, and in the series it seems to be, but I went more green/olive.
       

       
       
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 1 Anonymous, 126 Guests (See full list)

×