PaganMegan

Eberron Game! No Auld Grumpies Allowed!

Should I try to talk Grump into playing a hard boiled Warforged detective instead of the loud, boisterous Warforged GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER! that he created?

I need SOMEBODY in the group that can put clues together, but if he is playing somebody that COULDN'T I'm pretty sure he WON'T.

Using the 3x3 clues rule.

Each plot point needs three clues leading TO it and three clues leading FROM it.

And if things start lagging, have somebody kick open the door with a gun in their hand.

• Like 4

Guns.

I need to think about how I want to handle guns.

NOT Guns Everywhere, but maybe the next step down?

We found a compromise on his character - he is going to play TWO warforged, both the same agency. Spade and Archer, kind of.

One gumshoe, one gentleman adventurer.

But without Mary Astor. ::P:

I can use it to split the action, if I need to.

Grump, Jon, Julie, Jen, and either The Other Dennis or Duncan for players, I think.

Or The Dennises can split Grump's characters. Grump is the better thinker, but The Other Dennis might do okay.

• Like 3

I personally don't let guns fly in my Eberron, but I think you can get the same feel with wands. Keith Baker did a blog fairly recently about his concepts for Aundairi wand adepts which I think could help with gunslinger archetypes...let me see...

http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-magewrights/

...there it is. Don't know if that helps, but it's what I have off hand. I like the concept of the non-magic-user with just enough magic ability to power a bit of pew-pew. 

I understand that Pathfinder has a gunslinger, and maybe 5E does, too, but for 3.5 I haven't seen firearms rules that I liked...the wand adept described in that blog post seems pretty balanced and super flavorful for Eberron.

• Like 2

No.

There WILL be guns, as guns, and not as wands.

The question is not WHETHER, it is HOW COMMON?

I have pretty much decided on Commonplace Guns, cheaper than base price, but not as cheap as Guns Everywhere.

That wand adept made me want to hit someone, it just feels, I don't know, meta-gamey?

And it doesn't really fit with what I want.

But thanks, it just wasn't what I was looking for.

But having one of the Houses be the source for the guns, THAT works!

The OTHER way to turn lead into gold - gimme your Gold, or I fill you full of Lead!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Working on the Mournlands is making it easy to put together a big enough order to get the free Dungeon Dweller this month.

I need lots of Dark Young, and one Shub Niggurath, unless Grump has painted his by then.

Some gravewailers and gibbering mouthers to flesh things out.

Do you think asking him to help paint the Young is unfair? :;,;:

That part of the Mournlands will be an extra planar incursion zone.

The main reason for the Young is to have a nice big area that the PCs WON'T go, which will be an important piece later, since that is where some of what they will NEED to know later IS. Not so much a Gate as a bleeding TEAR in reality.

Being near the tear will cause pain, and yet to be decided other symptoms.

I am thinking of a Douglas Adams quote about something being

unnpleasantly close to being drunk.

What's unpleasant about being drunk?

Ask a glass of water.

• Like 4

I talked Grump into playing a hard boiled Warforged detective as well as his robotic GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER.

And OUT of him playing them both as the same character wearing different hats.

• Like 4

On 1/28/2018 at 10:21 PM, PaganMegan said:

No.

There WILL be guns, as guns, and not as wands.

The question is not WHETHER, it is HOW COMMON?

I have pretty much decided on Commonplace Guns, cheaper than base price, but not as cheap as Guns Everywhere.

That wand adept made me want to hit someone, it just feels, I don't know, meta-gamey?

And it doesn't really fit with what I want.

But thanks, it just wasn't what I was looking for.

But having one of the Houses be the source for the guns, THAT works!

The OTHER way to turn lead into gold - gimme your Gold, or I fill you full of Lead!

Sorry it wasn't your cuppa. But that's why I have my Eberron and you have yours! 

I personally saw the wand thing as what happens when you don't need guns, because why develop gunpowder when people use magic to make things explode. But I could see Karrnath developing guns as an answer to Aundair's magical advantage... Then either Deneith or Cannith making them better. Cannith would be interesting, especially if only one branch of the house really knows how to make them... firearms could be a big sticking point in the Cannith schism that's forming. Lots of subterfuge and espionage opportunity in that.

Cannith South (led by Merrix) has a lot going for it, but Merrix is (rumored to be) running creation forges secretly, so he also has enough IP to protect from his cousins... He might want guns for security, but he has a bunch of other options for that.

Cannith West is based in Aundair, and Jorlanna is unlikely to go for something that democratizes power; she has magic and likes it. Guns make anyone an Evoker, which threatens Aundair's greatest asset.

Cannith East seems really likely. Karrnath really seems like the place guns would come from during the War, and Zorlan d'Cannith is generally a lot more pragmatic than Merrix or Jorlanna.

Aside from the houses, I could see the gnomes of Zilargo, as the premier alchemists of Khorvaire, developing gunpowder pretty readily. Their closest Ally in the War was Breland, so that might be a good place for firearms to originate. I could also see Lyrandar working with the gnomes to develop cannons for their ships, which could naturally lead to handguns as it did in real-world history.

Also...I dig where you're going with your Mournland. Good stuff!

Edited by Sanael
Added line breaks for readability
  • Like 3

Zilargo alchemical guns, vs. some other House's guns might be interesting.

Zilargo guns might do things other guns don't (I am thinking things like  dragon breath rounds) while the other guns only have one thing going for them - they are cheaper!

Maybe a third house making more reliable and advanced guns - just as expensive as Zilargo, without the fancy ammo, but faster, and they don't blow up in your hands!

Wasn't there a classic SF or Fantasy novel where gunpowder was invented by the priests of a healer god, who then rebuilt their religion around a gunpowder monopoly?

• Like 3

Purple. Toyed with the idea of having Grump do up his GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER as an Old Spice Gentleman from that... Whatever it was.

"Old Spice - So Much Nicer Than WD40!"

Unpurple.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Encounter building in Pathfinder is a whole lot easier than what I remembered from 3.5.

You look at the CR, look up the XP you want, and then add the XP from the the monsters until you reach the goal.

Five Dark Young is a CR 17, a good place for first level player characters to stay away from!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Encounter building in Pathfinder is a whole lot easier than what I remembered from 3.5.

You look at the CR, look up the XP you want, and then add the XP from the the monsters until you reach the goal.

Five Dark Young is a CR 17, a good place for first level player characters to stay away from!

You're THIS close to attaining Killer DM status. :lol:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

You're THIS close to attaining Killer DM status. :lol:

There is only one player whose character I might end up killing there, and it isn't Grump's!

Especially if Jon thinks of this first scenario as having throw away characters.

Not really throw away, but it is a lot easier to replace the character at first level.

The CR for the encounters AWAY from the no go zone will be 1 or 2, mostly.

Not planning on running Rogue One! ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I just realized that my main background plot is basically the Philadelphia Experiment.

An attempt to use the Ethereal Plane to move troops and avoid detection.

I think there will be some people caught halfway through a wall.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I just finished statting up the material for the first session.

Instead of a corpse halfway through a wall, I have a Warforged that has been pulled halfway into its own shadow.

The Warforged is alive, but not for long. Some fell into their shadows, others were PULLED.

And THINGS came out of the shadows, some monstrous, others, worse, were humanoid, but bearing chains, barbs, and self inflicted CHANGES.

The Kytons have come for a visit, since Kyre was so kind as to open the door.

The premise is the experiment was aiming at the ethereal, but hit the border between ethereal and shadow, instead.

The Kytons don't know quite what to make of the Warforged - the body altering that is so central to their culture being embodied in the living constructs, but the enlightening pain is missing.

One of their experiments will become the Lord of Blades, I think.

Edited by PaganMegan

Grump likes playing with the mapping program, and I don't.

So I am thinking about asking him to make some generic Eberron city geomorphs, so I can lay them out when needed, but not fuss with CC3 myself.

Regular and ruined, not just for Metron.

A lot of time will be spent in cities and on lightning rail, so I should get him to make some lightning rail maps as well.