Kingdom Death: Monster Prologue Survivor (D?)

Paradoxical Mouse

So, since the RPChallenge Requests a Show-Off, here's my first point for this year! I'm really proud of her!

I'm not sure which of the starting survivors she is, but...

20180109_221715.thumb.jpg.c7dd417f69d9fb0187cb4e76f9e8d99a.jpg

Better Pictures (edit):

20180111_192532.thumb.jpg.bf1be973be7cfc7541bd1679952238f4.jpg20180111_192545.thumb.jpg.e46afa6e8aa477ee83bc0bc0d3a9f13b.jpg

Critique would be appreciated. I will admit, I used too light a skin color for the OSL to look right over, and it is toned down enough that you can't really tell in person. I wanted to give the lantern a soft glow, rather than a bright one, to capture the hopelessness that is Kingdom Death.

Edited by Paradoxical Mouse
  • Like 18

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The face has great precision!! Her eyes are excellent, and you got an expression with her being wary of her surroundings - great for KD! The eyebrows match too - sometime those are tough to position right!

C&C: Hair could use a dark wash. More shading/highlighting on the skin and the cloth. It is difficult because it is pale, but this figure will also loan itself well to practicing that due to a lot of exposed skin and choosing white cloth. The lantern also gives you another opportunity - strong directional lighting. You could probably take the shadows very dark, if you took into account the location of the lantern. It wouldn't necessarily make her less pale, because you can illuminate her face gently, and it would only take a gentle light to show the milky complexion on the OSL sides. Kinda a "show OSL by showing how dark other surroundings are". Maybe that's not your goal, but typically one doesn't carry a lantern when it is light out *shrug* 

It is a good piece, and you are improving on every figure you do. It is thrilling to watch all your Show Offs and WIPs ::D:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

The face has great precision!! Her eyes are excellent, and you got an expression with her being wary of her surroundings - great for KD! The eyebrows match too - sometime those are tough to position right!

C&C: Hair could use a dark wash. More shading/highlighting on the skin and the cloth. It is difficult because it is pale, but this figure will also loan itself well to practicing that due to a lot of exposed skin and choosing white cloth. The lantern also gives you another opportunity - strong directional lighting. You could probably take the shadows very dark, if you took into account the location of the lantern. It wouldn't necessarily make her less pale, because you can illuminate her face gently, and it would only take a gentle light to show the milky complexion on the OSL sides. Kinda a "show OSL by showing how dark other surroundings are". Maybe that's not your goal, but typically one doesn't carry a lantern when it is light out *shrug* 

It is a good piece, and you are improving on every figure you do. It is thrilling to watch all your Show Offs and WIPs ::D:

Based on my picture, I agree with you. I'm kind of aggravated at how poorly she photographed. I'm not sure how to take a better picture.

Sadly, I actually detailed the hair at first, but the gloss sealer killed the contrast. I'm not sure what to do about that. 

I'm going to try going darker with the other one, and I may darken this one up later. 

Also, thanks! I'm trying really hard, and I want to bring something to be proud of to ReaperCon.

Edited by Paradoxical Mouse

@Doug Sundseth is the photo wizard around here. I think he has a sticky post in Shutterbug forums. Pester him for super details. 

I'd start with getting a piece of gray or otherwise neutral construction paper and draping it, so that you have it vertical behind figure, horizontal underneath, and seamless. I prop up my paper with wine bottles in all honesty. Get some "daylight" or equivalent lighting around the figure, preferably surrounding, but facing figure if only other option. Get camera as close to figure as you can while focusing. Prop the camera so it isn't shaking; like setting up near the edge of a table so you can press the bottom of your cellphone to the table to brace it. 

Not sure what to do on the gloss sealer and contrast. I only use a matte/near matte sealer, even if it isn't as great (but mine are handled in limited quantities). Other tabletoppers have ideas on that front perhaps? 

• Thanks 1