Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Jordan Peacock
Recently, Modiphius released an STL model of the Corvega Coupe, so fans can 3D-print their own (provided they have access to a 3D printer, of course). I am fortunate enough to have a friend (Chris Thesing) who actually has *two* 3D printers. He printed off two runs of the model: one in lower resolution on his older PrintrBot Plus printer (using Solutech PLA filament), and another using his newer, higher-resolution resin printer.
The PLA filament version of the model. This model prints in two pieces -- one for the undercarriage and wheel hubs, and another for the upper body shell. Alas, there are no tires, and no separate segments for the gull-wing doors, windows, hood, trunk, etc. This was printed flat on the bed, and due to the low resolution this of course means a lot of striation on those gently curving surfaces. (This is how it looked after an initial spritz of white spray primer, as the sheen of the bare plastic was problematic for taking photos of the detail, such as it is.)
On the right is the resin-printed version of the same model. First off, it's a much higher resolution, but also Chris tried printing it at a 45-degree angle (supported by temporary scaffolding) as he's seen several others do. I'm not quite sure about the advantages of doing this, but I think it makes a difference, because the curved surfaces of the hood, roof, and trunk are very shallow curves. Actually, I think if the car were put up straight on its bumper, there'd be the best result, because each of the slices across the car would have a minimum variation of width from one to the next, versus the big jumps in footprint area to each layer when the car is printed right-side-up. That's just my notion, however; there might be factors I'm unaware of that are contributing to this.
Anyway, on the left is the PLA car, but I've gone back with some sandpaper to try to smooth it out a bit. The trouble is, I noticed that I'd utterly *destroyed* the shallow scribing detail of the gull-wing doors on the roof, and I was in danger of obliterating the Chryslus symbol on the hood and other such things, so I called it quits after a bit, and hoped I could make up for it by camouflaging the striation with "rust paint" effects.
Here's a side-by-side of the two models now that each one is a little closer in terms of where I am in the process. The green car on the left is the PLA model (you can still see the striation despite my sanding), whereas the resin one is the red one on the right. I went in and painted the window areas and chrome detail in grey, and splashed some paint on the PLA undercarriage in preparation for making it look a bit rusted out. At this point, I pretty much decided that the resin car is going to look pretty much intact, though a bit grungy, with the thought that it's a car that's been restored Post-War, or has somehow otherwise been kept in relatively good condition. (I could after all use it as a "show car" for my "Chryslus Show Room" scenario.)
Archon Studio (LOAD, Vanguard of War, Chronicle X) are branching into modular terrain. The project is now Live:
Apparently it is "full plastic injection" so not the same as their minis. The concept seems interesting, but the preview page is far from finished, so it's hard to get a good grasp on prices (one "Starter Pledge" for $49 is all they currently have listed, along with a $20 add on). The whole magnetized modular wall system looks like it could have potential.
Digital render of the finished sculpts. In the last six or so years I have played a lot of tabletop games, ranging from Warhammer and Dungeons & Dragons to smaller games like Frostgrave and Relicblade. I have fallen in love with the hobby of painting miniatures and everything surrounding it. A year ago I made plans to give something back and to add something to this hobby community I love so dearly.
My background in digital game art helped me a lot since I was already familiar with the software to sculpt digitally. So I started working on a few miniatures I would like to produce. Most of them were abandoned in favor of better ideas, but eventually I created this set of three goblins. These goblins are each embodiments of the archetypes found in many of the games I love: the wizard, the fighter and the thief/ranger.
I spent the last year figuring out how to cast resin to the standards I saw in the products I enjoy and how to make sure digitally sculpted details translated well to the tabletop scale.
These three figures are the end result of that progress, but hopefully the start of a lot more.
I made this Kickstarter to cover the costs of the materials used and shipping, but mostly so I can bring these little goblins to your tabletop :)
All miniatures will be multiple parts cast in resin and supplied unpainted, with a 25mm gaming base.
The final resin casts.
The KS is starting off with bases, and SG's unlock the terrain:
Who's Online 34 Members, 2 Anonymous, 102 Guests (See full list)
- Xiwo Xerase
- Chris Palmer
- Dilvish the Deliverer
- Rob Dean
- Lars Porsenna
- Al Capwn
- Green Eyed Monster