kodiakbear

Dwarven Forge KS6 Caverns Deep

I am going to have to make some really hard decisions this time around. I am hoping I can convince myself to stick to painted for the first time. The time saving should be worth it.

It will mean that I won't be able to get everything I want. I probably won't even be able to get everything that I "need," if that makes sense.

We've gone factory painted for every KS and never had regrets. The time savings and being able to use in games right out of the box is fantastic. Especially seeing how quickly my unpainted mini queue grows....

I will say, the last two KS have occasionally had unsealed pieces, though, where a black wash would come off on anything it touched. Using a spray sealer fixed the ks4 ones.

In ks5  the problem has been less common still, only the smaller support pillars had it from first two shipments we got from 5.

• Like 2

It is going to come down to where my finances fall in the PM. I am strapped for cash right now. Low pledge now for bigger pledge later.

My wife saw the forest over my shoulder and told me to "get what I wanted and not worry about cost".  For now I made sure I had access to the pledge manager so I get goodies.  Maybe I can decide some if what I want before the ks ends ::D:

I have a  awesome life partner and friend!

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2018 at 4:47 PM, Talae said:

I am going to have to make some really hard decisions this time around. I am hoping I can convince myself to stick to painted for the first time. The time saving should be worth it.

It will mean that I won't be able to get everything I want. I probably won't even be able to get everything that I "need," if that makes sense.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:19 AM, Kangaroorex said:

My wife saw the forest over my shoulder and told me to "get what I wanted and not worry about cost".  For now I made sure I had access to the pledge manager so I get goodies.  Maybe I can decide some if what I want before the ks ends ::D:

I have a  awesome life partner and friend!

We were in the live audience for the Gen Con stream where they revealed the Dreadhollow. My wife said, "I don't care what you get, just get me those trees."  (Or at least that's what it sounded like to me.) 

For KS5, I (for the first time) switch to painted at the last minute. I got less, but I don't regret it ... too much. This year I'm having a hard time going with painted. First, I don't know that the trees/forests will come out as nice factory painted -- it's a more complicated job. Second, I'm just balking at the added cost. We'll see, I guess. Two days to go.

• Like 2

I like quite a bit of this a lot. I don't think I like it as much as Dwarven Forge, though.

I've been waffling for the last couple of weeks, but I'm not in. I think everyone who does buy in will get really nice stuff, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I like quite a bit of this a lot. I don't think I like it as much as Dwarven Forge, though.

I've been waffling for the last couple of weeks, but I'm not in. I think everyone who does buy in will get really nice stuff, though.

I am right with you Doug except I broke and pledged....then the next day my pledge from the previous KS arrived and my wife asked me why I keep buying this stuff.....

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, KruleBear said:

I am right with you Doug except I broke and pledged....then the next day my pledge from the previous KS arrived and my wife asked me why I keep buying this stuff.....

My wife hasn't asked me that. First, I think, because she sees how insanely happy it makes me; and second, because she immediately goes and buys another houseful of yarn every time I get a delivery. 

• Haha 4

Just now, sigmaone said:

My wife hasn't asked me that. First, I think, because she sees how insanely happy it makes me; and second, because she immediately goes and buys another houseful of yarn every time I get a delivery. 

When I see the joy my 5 yo and his friend got out of building dungeons this weekend, I am not worried about the question and only wish I would have paid for the factory painting during the first KS. It is so cool the have something that lets them do freeform constructuon and can litterally be thrown in the storage box without me worrying about breaking the expensive terrain.

I just box up the smaller pieces and keep them segregated so the 9 month old doesn't try to swallow them. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Smokestack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stonehavenmini/pop-up-fantasy-settings-kit-vol-ii?ref=discovery&term=miniatures

Story
      I love pop-ups. It never fails to surprise me when a pop-up unfolds into 3D space from seeming nothingness. I hope you guys will have some of the fun that I had when I got to put these together. These kits are part miniature model, part 3d puzzle, and all paper-craft! As you build them, you'll be guided by the instructions and labels found in the kit, and also full instructional walk-through videos where I build them with you step-by-step. I put a lot of work into making sure these designs would work consistently and look good. It makes me happy every time I see them!
      These pop-ups are a great way to fill your table up with neat working terrain that doesn't break the bank and is easy to carry around and store.
      This time around, we are only offering the digital files. That being said, these files are designed to be printed on both A4 and American standard 8.5 x 11 inch letter-sized paper. All of the files (at least those that are completed at the end of the Kickstarter, including the first 5 settings) will be made available to all backers as soon as the Kickstarter funds are distributed to us (Usually within 2 weeks of the project end date).
      After printing, the pages will look something like this:
      You'll need additional supplies such as a hobby knife, double-sided tape, and backing material in order to assemble your pop-ups.  Once you put them together, you will be able to combine them into fantastic miniature worlds!
      Our initial funding goal will cover the design of the first five settings and one flat terrain peice. These will include the Mageboat, the Market Square, the Traveler's Wagon, the Castle Wall, Charlie's Castle, and the Mysterious Grate Flat Hex. 
       Mageboat
      The Mageboat is a watercraft designed to be steered and propelled by magical means. At a 28mm scale it would measure 50 feet from bow to stern. Take your adventures to the high seas with this sturdy vessel!
       Market Square
      At the Market Square, you can find food, drink, weapons, and a host of other curios. This is probably where that stolen painting wound up, now coated in a thick layer of dust, after nearly 2 decades.
       Traveler's Wagon
      The travelers are the continent's most prolific traders, and are always a welcome sight. But this cart seems to have been left unattended. Its team of horses and usual occupants are mysteriously missing. It was probably the giant ants. Again. Yes . . . that was what happened.
       Castle Wall
      The castle wall is the perfect place to hatch a "storming the castle" plot. All you need is a wheelbarrow and a holocaust robe. You probably already have both! Print out and assemble 6 copies of the castle wall and you'll have yourself a stronghold!
      Charlie's Castle
      Charlie's castle is a very small castle (more of a fort really) that is mostly used as a customs checkpoint these days. It's fortunate that you adventurers came along, you can clear out the tribe of goblins that have set up camp within its walls. 
       Mysterious Grate Flat Hex
      Not technically a pop-up, this hex tile provides some space for your characters to cross on their way to somewhere else. Because is it really a journey if no one journeys? Also, what's going on with that mysterious ground hole?
      We are excited about making as many pop-up settings as we can to be included in this kit! That's why we are going to keep adding more stretch goals as these ones are met. Our current plan is that every additional thousand dollars pledged to the kickstarter adds a setting to the digital kit!
      CORRUPTED SHRINE: $3000 Stretch Goal
      This shrine honors the great philosophers and scientific minds that together founded the Elipsiconian council. Unfortunately, the shrine has lately become the site of several unexplained deaths. It's up to you to discover it's dark secrets! (This setting is a redesign using the basic structure of the Gazebo from our previous Pop-up Kickstarter.)
      WATERFRONT FLAT HEX (Unpictured): $4000 Stretch Goal
      This flat hex serves as a transition from land to water. Here you can fish, swim, and relax as you prepare to head back into the nearby ruins.
      LONE TOWER (Unpictured): $5000 Stretch Goal
      This lonely tower is where the orcish sniper is holed up, shooting hapless travelers as they move along the nearby roadway. You guys should head up there and make sure he (OR SHE! Petra asks why it couldn't be a female orcish sniper. Girls can be snipers too!) is stopped. 
      As we reach these goals, more will be added to the kickstarter. We already have some pretty awesome stuff planned, but we also want your suggestions for the terrain you'd like to see in the set!
      We are excited to get these pop-up files completed and have them in your hands so you can make them too! 
      Risks and challenges
      Because the focus of this kickstarter is the creation of digital files, there will be very little that can go wrong. That being said, we could get sick or something. That could cause some delays. As with all digital files, backers might have difficulty opening and printing .pdf files on their end. We will do everything we can to ensure that backers can access and use the files from this kickstarter to make some awesome pop-ups.
    • By PhantomAquarist
      Finished this a few days ago. One thing I have to say. I've looked at a lot of people's online before doing mine. And not to be rude but I don't like any of theirs. Nobody seemed to try and do a theme to the rocks that location wise made more sense for the fossilized dinosaur on its back. Lots of people made gems and all kinds of other things. You wouldn't find those things around fossil remains. So this was my attempt to have something more surreal and actually include the fossils better and since I collect museum quality fossils apart from painting minis. I've seen enough to try my hand at what it would look like more on an excavation site. :)

• By lexomatic
      I got my caverns terrain, and... Wow!
      Cave Cliff Pack,

Natural Bridge,

stairway to violence,

stone banks pack,

and webbed lair adventure pack.

Apparently a tote is still coming? And I already got texture patches.
      Things are currently getting scrubbed.
    • By PhantomAquarist
      I did this one a while ago. My first attempt to recreate the painted version on the packaging. I'm just missing the foliage. This was super fun! :D

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)