Reaper Bones 4: Information Thread

ladystorm

Day 16 KS Infobits Summary part 3 (last one for Day 16):

Note: The following quotes are all from Ron Hawkins (aka ReaperRon).

the handler and terrapin will be separate from each other.

Is there a reason that aside from Damaris and 4 goblins in the main set not a single unit is sporting a bow?

-

PJ - nope. No reason. Which is weird, cuz I love me some archer minis.

Is either the baggage/saddle removable from the terrapin or can we get riders?

-

Baph -*shakes crystal ball* Answer not clear. Ask again later. :)

From the Dreadmere Manuscript by Joseph Wolf: This is from a Terrapin rental shop. Horses, mules and even oxen don’t fare well in the perpetually wet environs of Dreadmere The giant land terrapin (once prized for its flesh) now provides portage for a price. The beasts' shells have been meticulously shaped to accommodate a buckled frame to which goods can be hung. The owner has been raising the beasts for years and only in recent years have the residents realized the utility of the terrapins. The beasts are bred, hatched, raised, and trained in large muddy paddocks. The only downside is the beasts hibernate 3-4 months out of the year. The beasts can be rented or purchased directly costing between one and a half to twice as much as a riding horse. The owner carries a full range of harnesses, saddles, and tack.

Is Dreadmere a campaign setting, or an adventure path, or both?

-

One Boot - if it can cleared it through proper channels, it would be neat to have a free Dreadmere campaign setting pdf free for all backers.

-----

Is Dreadmere part of Warlord?

-

OneBoot - I think Dreadmere would make a fine Warlord setting. :)

BTW, the Terror Fish, Bonesack, and the Razormouth were designed and sculpted by Chris Lewis. He did an outstanding job! Kudos!

Is Dreadmere more jungle swamp or more misty horror swamp?

-

Talae - temperate swamp/moor/wooded wetland.

Sorry to jump around. Bob Ridolfi (who sculpted the fantastic townsfolk in Dreadmere) just sent me pics of Julie Guthrie's latest piece. No hyperbole here: I think it's the coolest mini in the Kickstarter. And while it's not Ma'al Drakar big, it's stupid cool.

-----

I'll share the picture eventually. That will take the sting out of it.

Are there plans for a new $50-75 single add-on along the scale of Ma'al Drakar in size?

-

Edward - can't spill the beans right now. But let me say that we haven't shown some of our big guns yet.* *not a Victoria Miniatures hint. Really, it's not!

End of Day 16.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 17 KS Infobits Summary part 1:

we will (probably) not be adding more to Chronoscope and Dreadmere, but there is certainly much more to come in the kickstarter. We might surprise you ;)

We have added new concept art (bigger images) to https://www.reapermini.com/bones4

My primary goal for the next 14 of the remaining 16 days is to make the Core as great a value as we can, and to make the Expansions great values, so that our backer total going into that critical final 48 hours is as high as possible. This means periodic adds to both of those, interspersed with Add ons, which have a more directly observable effect on the funding total.

there are definitely plans for more expansions. While we have several more themes in mind that we are likely to unlock, we are curious which themes y'all might like.

as long as when you log in, the system sees that you had a pledge, whether you have spent it or not, you will see KS pricing, not Late Backer pricing. Note that if you do have a pledge and still see late backer pricing, that is because the PM login email and the email you used on kickstarter to pledge are not the same, so the system doesn't know to apply the pledge to your account

we helped another company out with terrain for a Conan Kickstarter that did not make muster. It is known that the rights reverted back to us and we have hinted that some of the options (Tree of despair, among other things) would make an appearance here. Speculation is how much will appear here.

metal figures are significantly more expensive to make, although the molds are thousands of times cheaper.

is there any chance that we might get a printed copy of the comic on the campaign page?

-

@Peter - I suspect such an artifact is unlikely

at the end of the kickstarter, we do a countdown party. We are likely to livestream much of it.

we will not be attending PAX West this year, after 8 wonderful years there.

Day 17 continued below.

Huzzah!

• Like 10

Day 17 KS Infobits Summary part 2 (last one for Day 17):

Should questions for Livestream be limited to currently revealed items?

-

@Talon - not at all.

I like how the gain in backers per hour is increasing the past couple of days. Total number of backers is the key to big final numbers. Reaper will provide plenty of awesomeness over the rest of the campaign, especially the last 48 hours, to get the average pledge up to about $200, making # of backers key to big end totals.

-

@Kyle, that's why core set adds, while not sexy, are important. Also expansion adds.

I am in Euro zone. Do you ship for me from the US or UK now?

-

@Laurentas - right now still from Denton but soon from U.K. For normal orders

Note: The following quotes are all from Ron Hawkins (aka ReaperRon).

It's not known if the terrapin's gear will be removable or not at this time.

DUDE! I just got the final renders of something from Gene Van Horne. You people are going to LOSE. YOUR. MINDS.

-----

It's big, but it ain't Mal big. Functionally big. :) 

I mean Ma'al is cool. But *poof* there goes all the tabletop space.

-----

Maybe...just maybe...we can show a pic of it on Saturday during our livestream.

-----

is it a new sculpt of something you make already? Or completely new critter?

-

Wax - Yes, and yes. Kind of. :) Chew on that!

-----

It's not a whale demon, nor any other kind of demon.

-----

It does fly though.

-----

It has wings. :)

-----

Doesn't swim.

-----

Hmm. You *could* use it as a deity.

-----

Hang in there. All will be revealed, and you will love it. It's been requested many times in the comments.

[Gene Van Horne] Have they guessed yet Ron?

-

[Ron] Hey Gene! Maybe they have. They've tried!

-

[Gene] Did you tell them what it smells like?

-

[Ron] Smells like lavender and vanilla.

Oh wait. That's my wife's soap.

-

[Gene] I would think it smells like an old trunk...

[Ron] Now that you're done with this project, Gene, what's next for you? Grand finale?

-

[Gene] Yeah, the Finale and the other group we talked about. Oh and the one thing for Ed.

End of Day 17.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
weird spaces
  • Like 10

Day 18 KS Infobits Summary (only part for Day 18):

are the two remaining secret minis unlocked when we hit a certain point, we just won't know until after we hit it?

-

@Stephen - we will reveal those over the course of the upcoming week, and tell how to unlock them as we do.

the shipping amount also varies by destination, so while $10 is probably a reasonable estimate for Core Only shipping, it's likely to miss the mark in reality virtually every time

-----

@Nethear - your shipping will stay the same when you lock in even if our costs change.

A painted image of the Zombie Dragon has been added to the Previews page https://www.reapermini.com/bones4

-----

Michael Proctor painted that.

-----

Comparable in size to Narthrax/Kyphrixis

now that your gonna live stream what's the chances of clever crow live streaming himself painting one of the stretch goals ?

-

@Limey - he's not on site, but Anne will be in hand to talk paint

Any cool plans for during the eclipse?

-

@Boot - I'm thinking a Small World Heroes Unlock. "If the sun ever comes back ...."

End of Day 18.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
auto-merge
  • Like 8

On 8/17/2017 at 7:28 AM, Dr_Automaton said:

Is the intent with the Dreadmere Land Terrapin to make the pack, saddle and bridle removable for added versatility?

Response from Reaper:

11 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

It's not known if the terrapin's gear will be removable or not at this time.

Huzzah!

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Is there any backstory on the inspiration behind all of this?  (E.g., are these designs done with any particular system/setting/campaign in mind?  Or is there any particular region or time period that's serving as inspiration for the styles?)

Various responses from Reaper regarding the Dreadmere campaign setting:

Is Dreadmere a campaign setting, or an adventure path, or both?

-

if it can cleared it through proper channels, it would be neat to have a free Dreadmere campaign setting pdf free for all backers.

Is Dreadmere part of Warlord?

-

I think Dreadmere would make a fine Warlord setting. :)

Is Dreadmere more jungle swamp or more misty horror swamp?

-

temperate swamp/moor/wooded wetland.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 9

Would the Jungle King`s Throne be to small for Narglauth?  I realize he won't be able to sit in it.  More as a terrain piece, would it look to small for him.

Also is there a size difference in the Hill Giants from KS4 and the Hill Giants available at retail currently(77313: Krug, Hill Giant)?

Edited by JDizzO

15 hours ago, JDizzO said:

Would the Jungle King`s Throne be to small for Narglauth?  I realize he won't be able to sit in it.  More as a terrain piece, would it look to small for him.

Also is there a size difference in the Hill Giants from KS4 and the Hill Giants available at retail currently(77313: Krug, Hill Giant)?

Yes, that throne is too small. I suppose you could try, but I don't think it would look right.

There is. The new giants are almost as tall, but stylistically different, and not as beefy. They are closer to what the traditional game rules for Hill giants are than our current incarnations.

@Reaperbryan do you guys have plans for anymore videos in the very near future?  I thought there would be more videos and I think it helped last weekend to get some money flowing.  (Not that I mean the money isn't flowing, I'd say $1.68+ million is some pretty good money flow).

I finally got to watch the whole livestream (I have 4 kids so it wasn't easy to hear or watch the whole video before) I am super excited that we can buy the Swag Bag from Reaper Con!!  Any idea how much that will cost?

• Like 5

On 8/25/2017 at 10:21 AM, NecroMancer said:

@Reaperbryan do you guys have plans for anymore videos in the very near future?  I thought there would be more videos and I think it helped last weekend to get some money flowing.  (Not that I mean the money isn't flowing, I'd say $1.68+ million is some pretty good money flow).

I finally got to watch the whole livestream (I have 4 kids so it wasn't easy to hear or watch the whole video before) I am super excited that we can buy the Swag Bag from Reaper Con!!  Any idea how much that will cost?

We posted a video yesterday shortly after this question, and have another one planned for this weekend.

We may also do another one close to the 24h mark, but that's TBD

OneBoot has had a death in the family and then will be attending PAX West during the closing of the campaign.  

I'll try to catch up this weekend so that as things ramp up toward the end the summaries can be kept up.

Day 20 Infobits Summary

just as a hypothetical: let's say we don't reach a revealed stretch goal. Will that goal still see the world of retail or will it forever be lost with much sadness?

---

we would evaluate. If it was popular and lots of people had added for it in the PM even though but wasn't reached, we'd make it anyway and honor the pledges. If almost nobody pre-added, we'd refund the $10 (or whatever) to the few who did and can it. This is one reason it's important to add BEFORE a goal is reached.

so does that mean that you guys are keeping track of what is being added in the PM now?

---

yeah. We can see what's in carts. Only about 50% of backers have entered, but statistically, it's accurate enough to help us predict final numbers.

How are accounts that add *10 of everything counted in the pledge manager calculator dashboard??

---

I only see aggregate totals. Item X, Y copies ordered. I don't see *your* order, although as the database admin I probably could if I needed to

What are the projections for people that either forget, or back out of the PM?

---

5%. Which seems small. But with 11,000 backers, that's HUNDREDS…

For Bones 3 there were over 600 backers that failed to lock in any rewards by the time we started shipping. And almost all of them got angry at us when they saw we "skipped" them. News flash: I cannot ship you rewards if you do not create an account awn tell me a) your address AND b) what rewards....

I mean, I genuinely want to ship rewards to everyone. But those two peices of information are mission critical. The only ones that bothered me were the ones that told me "nobody ever told them" they needed to use a PM.

about this time in Bones 3 you started to tell us the most and least popular add-ons, any info for us?

---

Most popular so far, Wraiths. Least - Paint Set B, which surprises me actually. Usually our paint is in the top third.

who made the roc?

---

Gene Van Horne

so was that an add to the project caused by comments voting?

---

Yep

[Backer stated the Roc image was a prototype and was not a sculpt yet.]

---

no, that's a sculpt. It's a WIP but it's almost fully done.

please don't say it was in the wings

---

no, Gene saw it in the comments and asked Ron if he could do it. Ron agreed.

Gene Van Horne was successfully summoned and joined in the conversation along with Ron Hawkins.

What is the height and wingspan of that Roc! Looks awesome!

---

Gene: It has a 12" wingspan

so the wingspan [of the Roc]... will the base fit on 50mm or does it need 60mm?

---

Gene: it's on a 4" base 100mm

Ron: BTW, the final size has not been set, so don't go quoting us on the size yet. 12" wingspan is the size the model is currently set at, but that is *not* final. Could get slightly smaller or larger.

Ron: And while you can't see it, Gene added an elephant's skull to the base.

Ron: It'll probably stay right where it is, to be honest, but just in case...the 4" base is pretty set though.

Now, I imagine that Roc's been keeping you busy for much of the campaign, but any chance there might have been a piece or two on the other end of the size spectrum that you've been / will be working on?

---

Gene: I did all the Rocky the Red's and the Small World heroes. I've got a couple other projects I'm working on. One is BIG!! The other is a group of figures but I can't say more than that.

How long did the Roc take you and what is left?

---

Gene: I lost count of the hours, the hardest part was figuring out the feathers. Once I got all that figured I think it took about two weeks.

Ron: Gene - I just got around to looking at your reference for your group of undisclosed figures. Wow! Good stuff there.

• Like 14

Day 21 Infobits Summary

I was told last Kickstarter that burning Bones miniatures might be hazardous to my health, guess I have to behead them then ...

(Bryan refused to answer my question if using acid on them is better or worse than burning ...)

---

We would not encourage the use of caustic chemicals or acid on our products

I am wondering if I will have the option of having shipping through Australia or direct from the USA here in Japan and which I would choose if I have a choice. I do hope the shipping to Australia is direct from China and then direct to me.

---

we're not able to offer backers the flexibility to choose their preferred hub. Japan ships from our partners in the AU

so theoretically.... when Reapercon comes along, say i want to order X amount of paint and the swag bag and whatever else it will forward to Notts [UK] and then the lovely people will send it to me here?  so i don't pay my whole order and postage and give the delivery company £22 for the gracious letter and bringing me my parcel?

---

more or less. I believe we are desperately trying to have them at full functionality by Christmas

What's pointing to an underdark expansion?

---

I'm being naughty since Ron is withholding the next stretch goal form me (he says the images are ready but he won't let me look) so I've added the Comic that span this map and the next. Ordinarily I'd not add the comic until I added the map, but the joy that comes with the return of the Sun has caused me to feel impish.

Strictly speaking, the comics are only harbingers of the next Map, which itself is not always an accurate predictor of the coming goals. A Roc in a narrow Cavern? Baba Yagas Hut in a Cave? But speculation is fun and I like to see what people want.

you were going to tell us more of the comic. And then Ron was going to read us a story

---

Oh the comic? Well I don't know actually. Izzy scripts it. I tell her what Maps and monsters are next, and she takes "last place, last encounter" and "next place, next encounter" and writes a story in 4 panels

I have to say, I'm loving the direction you've chosen to go with Bones. It seems like things are becoming much more cohesive looking across the board.

---

Interesting, i felt like this time we were really branching out and getting into more niches and subgenera

you weren't the volunteer to head up PR and wrangle so many cats??? Say it ain't so

---

I ended up with he PR job by default really. I was active on our forums as one of the more outgoing introverts, and ended up kind of becoming the spokesperson by default.

Ron: *yawn* Somebody woke me up. This better be good. I need my beauty sleep.

---

Ron they think any word you put inside asterisks is a hint. *squamous*

Squamous means scaly.... a dragon...?

---

is that what squamous means? huh. Ok.

---

Ron: Just to be clear, "squamous" is not *my* hint.

Do you think the great on the terrapin will be removable like the camel?

---

Ron: ideally, the stuff on the terrapin's back would be removable...

… An option might be you get two different shells with the terrapin: laden and unladen.

… Just a thought. Early in the production process.

• Like 11

Day 22 Info Summary

What does an average mold cost make?

---

on average, $16,000-$20,000. Some of our most expensive molds were $60,000

I was wondering if after the KS I would be able to buy some of the models from Dreadmere set separately? I'm interested in just a few of them and are hoping they will the be for sale outside of the set in the future.

---

none of the figures are KS exclusive and all will be available at retail after fulfillment, usually one model per package

Why can't we have a model bigger than Ma'al? Did he pose issues due to size or was there another reason?

---

We could. I believe it would be possible, but very expensive. Ma'al is already a $150 model, and affordability is kind of our reson d'être. I think $150 stretches the limits of "affordable"

So is darkreach another reaper setting like dreadmere?

---

The Darkreaches are the under mountain caverns beneath the nations north of the central seas of Adon. Everything we make that is not licensed or nor chronoscope is from Adon, our own world. Chronoscope is an alternate reality

I commend you reaper for the amazing expansion. However really really dissapointed with the core set content reveal, as a backer of previous Bones KS I have a TON of goblins and kobolds, SO many in this campaign that are beyond reason, and now even the last stretch goal is, again , the same?? And only 3 of them?

---

Our top selling Bones models - Goblins and Kobolds. Sorry they're not exciting, but I pay my mortgage with Goblins and Kobolds.

Is that this kickstarter? Or is that bones in general (speaking to kobolds and Goblins)

---

Bones in general. 7 of our top 10 models are monsters, and 5 of those are one variation of Kobold or Goblin.

Unsure as to whether to remove the eye-beast from the voting list. That kind of is one. No eye stalks though. I'm leaving it for now?

---

there will not be another variation of Eyebeast in this project. We already have one in Bones, and this is a variant subspecies.

What size is rockmaw? Large, I hopeses.

---

on the large side of medium

---

That'll do!  I think they actually are listed as medium... though I could swear they used used to be large… Either way. Yummy.

---

we thought they were large, but all online resources said medium so we're compromising and going with a "big" medium

Copyright and IP are a difficult area to explain. A given IMAGE is copyrightable. A given set of characteristics is protected under IP. Use your own IMAGE, which has a distinct and different set of characteristics, and it's now your own. Exactly where to draw that line is... harder to explain.

How much does your current offerings change or limit what you put in a KS campaign? Like you have pages of dragons, and sure people love dragons, but do you ever choose one over another because you already have a lot of X or Y?

---

We do look at what we have, and what sells. We also look at what we don't have. With Gauth, every dragon we had already is now in Bones, so everything here is new, which means finding a new way to innovate and make them distinct from what's there.

Do the classes at Reapercon have a separate cost associated with them and if you have taken a class at Reapercon, what was your favorite?

---

they do. Usually [$40] each. I have only ever been able to take ONE class before, a sculpting class by Gene Van Horne called "Beastie Bits" where i learned to do fur, scales, feathers and hair. Since 99% of what I do is conversions, that's been a ridiculous help for me. I wish I could take some airbrushing class because painting my armies (plural) by hand is a beast. In a year and a half since I decided "primer white" was not an army color, I have only finished 1 army to about 75%

Is the underdark expansion likely to be the last multi-part expansion?

---

it's not the last one we could potentially unlock. But we're not making promises until we're ready to reveal any potential 4th or 5th expansions.

any idea if the Dagon Statue from that update may also be released around the same time (April 2018)?

---

Altar of Dagon = June 2018

Is it possible to do a KS 'exclusive' with a mold that could be reused.. ie: a clear exclusive to reaper but the mold would then be used for the same miniature in the regular bones materials which would NOT be exclusive...

---

that idea is more warmly received in meetings, but right now I do not have any indication that that's how we're doing anything specific

Spoiler based on Popular TV Show!

Spoiler

Did anyone else find it funny how the stretch goal for Zombie Dragon was reached at around the time something similar happened on a popular TV show?

---

We had no foreknowledge of the events of the TV show. Cool coincidence though

It seems that we are reaching the are where it is less feasible to get additional stuff into core, with the distance between core additions increasing and what is added decreasing (only three smallish minis for the latest).

---

Oh there's plenty more in core. We just only had 3 more goblins.

I would love more off-the-wall golems, especially the ones Reaper comes up with. Enlarge the family!

---

I think we could certainly do some unique Golem ideas. The real trick is finding something exciting.

The "Dreadmere is complete" comment saddened me. I was on the edge of funding for that with expectation of a few more models as time goes on...

Nothing else? It's done? No more stretch goals?

---

It's complete. Nothing else will be added to Dreadmere.

Does the dragon in the dance of death can be isolate to them like 2 different dragon? I want to use a plasic stick to put them in the air.

---

I am going to say that it is unlikely that the figures will come naturally separable. It would be possible for modelers to separate them, but they are unlikely to be put on mold in such a way as to make such a process as simple as "don't attach them to each other"

If the next expansion is Prehistoric or something like that, I'm sunk.

---

We will fully unlock Darkreach before getting to any other Expansions

Ron: Some cool stuff coming up. Ridolfi and Guthrie have some great stuff, Van Horne has some great stuff, Wiebe has some oft-requested minis, Jackson has some fun stuff and Chris Lewis has something coming that you all kind of requested, but with a twist.

Which thing that has already been revealed surprised you the most from assignment to sculpt in this campaign? How so?

---

Ron: tough to tell. I do know that I asked Guthrie to sculpt a certain thing. I had certain expectations, and since Julie *usually* works from her own designs, I didn't have a spiffy piece of Talin art to go by. When Julie sent me the pic of the piece in question, I was blown away. Better than I expected!

I'm wondering how much of KS is now determined. I think they said 80% at the beginning with 20% made up as we go guided by feedback from the community. How much of that 20% (or whatever number it was) is already commissioned and/or revealed?

---

Ron: sometimes we have things planned that backers request already working in the background. Jason Wiebe's "monster x that I won't' say what right now" is one of those.

you've probably been asked this in the past. What happens to sculpts, if they have already been worked on or even completed (prototype) but that goal is not reached. For example, lets say you have a world turtle at $4 million, but due to its size, you already asked someone to start work on it, and this program ends around 3 million.... Do you save it for another time or just dump it?

---

Ron: We wouldn't waste anything. We'd either save it for another project or another medium, or just find something. Wouldn't want the sculptor or the company to be stuck with something. We make it work somehow.

I love the Nagendra, but all the ones I have in metal and see in Bones have swords and spears. Is it possible to get more variety in weapons? I'd like ones with axes or hammers and perhaps crossbows.

---

Ron: unfortunately not in this campaign.

Ron: No mouslings this go round. Talked to Gene about it today...he's just swamped with final KS sculpts. However, we will have one ready for ReaperCon. You heard it here first.

No mouslings? Oh. That is very disappointing.

---

Ron: keep watching ReaperCon.com for the new Halloween Mousling next month.

• Like 11