Reaper Bones 4: Information Thread

ladystorm

Day 23 Update Summary

Bases!!!! So I've never actually done any basing but always wanted to try. What's the best why to glue a mini to a base?

---

I normally superglue the model down.   These bases are designed to be reversible - you can put the mini on "top" and it would resemble the preprints of other companies (if visual similarity is important to you), or you can flip it, and put the integral base inside the hollow area, and fill that area with material - PVA and flock, gravel, sand, cork, etc.

I think I may take 30 seconds in the next video to showcase the Bases. They're really neat, I think, compared to most other company offerings

when will we see the next video?  I'm looking forward to some more spoilers!

---

It's on my to-do list. I'm waiting on parts to come out of masters

Masters can take variable amounts of time depending on what they need to do. Typically it's cleaning mold lines, 3-d print artefacts, and making a mold if necessary.

When is the next video? I hope we get 2 more before this is done. They are great for new backers and us die hards.

---

right now my masters dept is *killing* me. They have so many parts I have almost nothing whole I can show unless we resort to 3-d renders in full 360º video.

Maybe I don't get the mouseling asthetic…

---

it has long been our position that if we tried to make every miniature be beloved by every backer, we would quickly go insane. We operate under a default assumption that only 1/3 of our total backers will want any given thing. Sometimes it's more, rarely it's less. But that gives us a great foundation, and means that for every goal, somebody likes it and wants to give it a new forever home.

I will never understand the "please don't put it into the core" crowd. Everything that goes into core makes it more attractive to new backers, and then we all win. Things in core aren't taking up spots that other things that could be in or would potentially have. There is no losing side if something that you don't want makes it into the core.

---

there's a subset that think we possibly bypassed a reward they wanted for one they didn't, and seldom realize that the Core is the most well known part of the KS, with Options being mostly where we look at backer suggestions, and only 5-10 Core models MAX are ever really up for debate. Over 145 of the models in this Core Set were predetermined before launch.

No Ooops. We're not done adding to core. With 10 more days, we're going to start filling in those last few open spaces and putting out what's already planned.

will you make another stream at saturday ?

---

Probably not a livestream, but I'm in a planning meeting and the next video is now on the recording schedule.

Do we know if there are going to be more dragons for the Core Set or are the rest going to be add-ons?

---

we haven't said, but I believe everything else for Core is size L or smaller.

any plans to add any additional paints in the mix (besides the two sets already available)?

---

no additional paint sets will be offered. Our Paint Department says that assuming demand is consistent with previous projects, this is all they are capable of adding to their work load while mining regular production.

I am a little worried by just the number of minis in Darkreach. It seems like way less value than dreadmere and chronoscope right now, with only 23 minis so far and dreadmere having a total of 43, and chronoscope having 38(ish)

---

Oh! I forgot to mention!! You're right - it is shorter SO FAR.

Ron said that he split Darkreach into 4 parts, not 3, because he's trying to give an artist a few more days to finish *something*

blacksting is so good! so, what's the story there - a remake of a named wyvern - is he from an in-house game or the warlord setting?

---

Ron: Yeah, Blacksting goes back to the first wyvern by Kevin Contos, then resculpted by Bob Olley. Based on a damn wyvern that harassed my old D&D group for months. Couldn't ever seem to kill that bastard. When we finally did, we named our adventuring group 'Company of the Wyvern'. True story.

Bob Ridolfi / Julie Guthrie: The small wyvern was designed to also be posed clinging to a wall.

Ron: "Hint: Bob and Julie sent two pics. One for Core, one for an Expansion. Both are super cool."

• Like 10

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 24 Infobits Summary

Is there a plan for a Paizo email this go round?

---

our contracts do not require them to promote these projects. They are aware we are doing this, and know which models were are including, per our contract, and that's where the obligations end.

Are the troglodytes larger than a normal figure?

---

I believe they are larger than man-size, but I have not seen a print yet to confirm

Larger like an Orc is larger, not Large

will you leave both this new Agramon and the old one with the same names when this one hits retail?

---

different SKUs but same Proper Name. Probably different appellations. Agramon the Red, Agramon the Duke of Hell, etc.

@Ron - so, you're an old Dragon mag fan... about those five translucent gem dragons (blue/sapphire, red/ruby, green/emerald, purple/amethyst, clear/diamond)...?

---

Ron: gem dragons in translucent are a great idea...  For Bones 5. ;)

This is where I'd make a joke about "next you'll tell me Anhurian cavalry..." but I don't want to go there...

---

Ron: Anhurians have a better chance than most requests, simply based on the fact that they're *already done*!!!

• Like 13

Day 25 Infobits Summary

I have to apologize. In Bones 3 I was underwhelmed by the weapon spures when they came up. I only got the included ones from the core. But yesterday my DM gave me a sack with an old Ral Partha cyclops group in it and told me to paint it. None of them had weapons! Adding the bonesium weapons was fun and makes them look amazing and made the duplicates unique. I was such a fool, more weapon sprues please!

---

it's interesting, because we often hear people tell us that they were "meh" about a particular reveal or goal, and afterwards it's the surprise hit they didn't expect, or the one they regret not getting. Do you have pictures of how you used them?

Oh one more question as I didn't see it on the most recent list of releases - is there an estimated date when T'Raukzal will be going retail?

---

This document has the approximate release Months for all Bones 3 product:

https://reapermini.com/misc/Reaper_B3MAP_Schedule.xls 

just stopped by briefly and saw the list for Bones 3. The one mini I am hanging out for is Goremaw but I didn't see it. Did I miss it somewhere?

---

Goremaw does not fit into any of our existing packaging, and new packaging continues to be on order (supply problems are the bane of my existence). It will be released when that issue is finally resolved.

how about a Q&A with one or more of your sculptors as part of the KS? Probably not live. Needn't be video.

---

We will have the sculptors on hand at the finale party on the last day, and might be able to get some of them to participate in a livestream.

earlier you mentioned metal minis being cast on demand. Why are metal ones so much easier and cheaper to produce?

---

for metal miniatures, casting takes less than a minute per piece, the molds cost under $100 to make, and the metal itself is the most expensive component. So we can make one fairly easy and relatively cheap. Plastics take 45 minutes to change out the molds, the molds cost $20,000 apiece, and the plastic itself is under a buck. SO there's advantages to each. By financing the molds via Kickstarter, we can sell the minis without having the cost of that overhead factored into MSRP, but with metal 95% of the cost is the metal itself, with almost no overhead.

... also, be aware that I have given a rather simplistic explanation. The whole mess of production logistics and price models is ridiculously complicated.

Julie, how long did it take to sculpt Ma'al Drakar?

---

Bob Ridolfi / Julie Guthrie:  longer than Ron would have liked.

Bryan: Heya Bob & Julie! Working on anything you're allowed to talk about? Ron never shares with me anymore.

---

Bob Ridolfi / Julie Guthrie: We are finishing up on a few things that we need to send Ron pictures of tomorrow. I can't say any more or we will not get our Coffee m&ms from Ron.

do you 2 compete over who's best? Or Does sculpts like dance of death kinda seal the deal that Julie is master of hands?

---

Bob Ridolfi / Julie Guthrie: we don't compete as to who is best, but we do swap out who is in charge of the Studio, Julie is in charge on odd days and I am in charge on even days. We also hand pieces back and forth to work on together.

Someone mentioned that, with the exception of Chronoscope, all of the miniatures come from Reaper's game world. Does that world exist as a purchasable product?

---

Ron: not yet! Just in parts, i.e. Warlord, Warlord Savage North, and hopefully Dreadmere very soon!

Nice! Are the pillar tops designed to go with the fencing from the Graveyard Expansion in B3?

---

Ron: Pillar tops just *happen* to fit on top of B3's fence posts. But, they can be place wherever you like.

Ron: Want to point out that the Fungus guys were sculpted by Christina Van Patten! Give her a hand!

• Like 16

Day 26 Infobits Summary

the Rockmaw is tri lateral symmetry yes? That's not quite apparent in the concept

Also the Tyrant Trooper and Armorback are same size yes medium humanoid?

---

trilateral symmetry rock maw - yes.

Saurials as "medium humanoid" PC/NPC types both sci fi and primitive - Yes

---

Ron: yes, tri-lateral symmetry. The Rex and Armorback are similarly sized, M size. Rex is taller, Armorback is smaller. Think of the armorback as a Wolverine type.

We think another preview video is needed! Maybe one showing off the dragon turtle in all its glory!

---

Dragon Turtle video? I will see what we can do.

When I said "Brawler" before, I meant the Fungal Bruiser. That's just concept art?

---

Ron: Fungal guys are traditional sculpts. CVP (Christine Van Patten) is dropping them off next Saturday at the Kickstarter Countdown Party!

Only downside I see to the core is that I don't see any ranged weapon (bow/gun) "heroes"

---

Ron: Yes, our ranged heroes selection is a little short this time. Sorry, not intentional.

Any idea of the scale of the Burrowing Behemoth?

---

Ron: 2" base. Height, not sure yet.

any chance we could see some of Reapers wonderful genie and astral reaver sculpts make it into bones? If not in this kickstarter then sometime in the future.

Also how big is the dark watcher vs the bones eye beast?

---

Ron: I would *love* some new genies. Just gotta get there.

Dark Watcher is similarly sized to the Eye Beast.

why is there another large spider in Bones when there are no giant beetles? I would love some that are like the ones in the dark Crystal movie

---

Bryan: well, Spiders have always sold well, and 3" is a size we've never had. We have Cadirith, who is 5 or 6" I believe, and several 1" and 1.5" variants, and even a .75" and a swarm variant, but HUGE seemed to be a place we needed a spider.

Ron: Huh. Well. Are you saying that the Bloodstone Gnome Beetle rider needs a companion? Weird.

---

It's HUGE? well, why didn't you make that clear in your picture. I thought it was yet another large one. Huge spider (hums contently)...well, am I greedy if I ALSO want a large beetle?

---

Ron: Yeah, sorry. We *try* to make the images scale to each other as closely as possible. Yes, you are greedy. I like that.

Bryan: LOL, no not greedy at all. Yes, that's a 3" round base its on.

Are the spider centaurs 1.5" base?

---

The Spider Centaurs were designed with a 40mm base in mind

I have to ask because this has plagued me for some time. Why is anything designed for 40mm bases? The primary game in which these minis are used. 40mm is simply annoying because it doesn't fit the 1" grid.

---

Warlord wasn't a grid based game, but also 40mm lets us straddle the line between M and L for monsters that there's disagreement on which size it should be

still 7 days... so 6 until the capstone piece? I am so impatiently waiting....but yet so excited.

---

we'll be gradually revealing a series of capstone pieces throughout the week. but not reveling the target goals.

I am a little unclear.  What is a capstone piece?

---

On the last day, we reveal large and impressive pieces. Kaladrax, Ma'alDrakar, etc. These are Capstones.

On the graphics, is there anyway that you could keep / add in the names that go with the figures. Example, the Dreadmere expansion used to have the names of the pieces but now only has numbers. Meanwhile the Darkreach expansion has names, but no numbers (assuming that is because it isn't complete yet). Please?

---

once an expansion is complete, we switch to numbers.

Speaking of an 11" Sir ForScale, it would be cool to have Bones Weapons, Armor, Shields, etc to accessorize Barbie and Ken dolls as fantasy warriors.

Probably not a huge market for that, but Bones would be a great material to do it with.

---

I feel like Bones fantasy weapon accessories for Barbara and Kenneth dolls are possibly outside the scope of our primary business model

We'll have a video tomorrow [Sunday the 27th]. It's coming

• Like 9

Day 27 Infobits Summary

quick question. What is the difference between bloodstone and deep gnomes? Is there a published history behind them? Am quite curious.

---

Bloodstone gnomes are a gnome breed developed oil the mind of Wayne Reynolds, and developed for our Warlord game. I do admit to not myself being an expert on their lore.

With this being my first reaper backing and having no prior experience with reaper miniatures, how much assembling is there? - the KS says "...may come unassembled".

---

typically, most "PC" models are assembled. Larger models typically are not, usually models come in 2-6 pieces. Our YouTube channel has some examples of me building models, let me find a link…

Here's a few assembly videos, so you can see how complex the typical Dragon model is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

Assuming a mold is a pair of metal plates with injection ports for the molten PVC, how many models can you get per $20k plate pair?

---

the majority of our molds would contain 4-8 standard "PC" models. Different machines can take different molds, and while there are standardized sizes, there is not one universal size. We group models together based on estimated and projected sales - so models assumed to sell high together, models with low sales together, etc. This projections are based heavily on pledge manager data. If we had 4 "low models" and 8 high, we might try to split them among 2 molds of 4 and 8, rather than 2 molds of 6 and 6, or 3 molds of 4.

further, models like Dragons, or Baba Yaga's Hut, may require 2,3 or sometimes more Molds. I believe Kaladrax from Bones 1 takes 6 molds to make all of the parts.  Ultimately, we measure the mold's surface area, so a models pose or spread has more to do with how many neighbors it can have.

Izzy “Talin”: Hey, Bryan - you have something cool in your e-mail.

---

the artwork for the next reveal looks awesome! They're gonna love them!

Izzy has Ron ever tasked you with artwork similar to Yephima *spoiler*??

---

Izzy “Talin”: Ron didn't "ask" for the Yephima artwork per se. IIRC, he yoinked it out of my sketchbook, to use a technical term. I want to do a more friendly/passive male giant to go along with her, because Cloud Giants aren't necessarily ragebeasts. (In the case of Yephima, she's stooping down to talk to adventurers. At least, in my brain she is.)

Izzy “Talin”: Would you like a spoiler for the next reveal?

Bryan: I think they'll murder us if we don't give them something :D

---

Izzy “Talin”: All right - couple of random (?) thoughts on the next reveal:

Some people will complain about what comes up next, and others will love it. They'll probably be raven' about it for a while. At least one thing in it is something I've been wanting since last Kickstarter, and hopefully everyone will think it's as cool as I do.

Izzy you at least tell us things. Ron seems to *poof* out of a pocket dimension. He's too tricksy

---

Izzy “Talin”: Ron and subtlety rarely meet. I think they have drinks together every couple of weeks, but that's about it. *pokes Ron with a stick*

He's the Lawful Good member of the party. I've drifted more Chaotic over the years. ;)

---

Bryan: Y'all are so good are parsing out the clues, poofing away is the only way to be safe

Wait there's going to be another whole expansion? Not just 4 parts in the last expansion?

---

We have plans for not just 4 parts to Darkreaches, but also for a whole other expansion

Love the giants. That's the best frost giant concept art I've ever seen. Is the top one dual wielding?

---

Ron: she is! Izzy's call on that.

what's the weapon in Angrboda's left hand?

---

Ron: From Izzy, regarding the Frost Giant Heroine's second weapon - "It’s a saex – sort of a long knife/short sword."

Am correct in assuming that is a Dire Wolf Companion, potentially ~60mm at the shoulder and fits on a 2 inch base, far larger than any other wolves in the Bones line?

---

Ron: close. It's difficult to approximate sizes using concept art sometimes. The Winter Wolf will be sculpted to fit on a 2" base though. That might change height or length, but we'll do our best to make it fit to the art as close as possible.

I don't envy your month of October from a craziness point of view either!

---

Ron: Yeah, October's gonna be fun. Can you believe that we actually discussed running this Kickstarter in October with the end being the Saturday night of ReaperCon?

---

Izzy “Talin”: Bones and ReaperCon? You speak heresy, Ron. Heresy!

I have only one request, please, a bards assortment? Bards seem like the only standard class that isn't really represented in the Bones line. They are useful for both PC and townsfolk.

---

Izzy “Talin”: I have been grilling the Powers That Be for a chance to do a passel of Bards (a cacophony of Bards? A pratlairche of Bards?), though some of the instrument details - bows, whistles, fretboards - might be too delicate for the material to support. Also, bards means getting the Izzy figure. Ron knows that's like giving Dobby a sock. ;)

---

Ron: I want to put the Izzy figure out in Bones!

---

Izzy “Talin”: Now I'm worried about the thought of an Izzy mini. I mean, what if they work like voodoo dolls?

"Why do you have a mini of a bard chained to a drawing table, Ron?"

"Um... Don't worry about that."

• Like 13

Day 28 Infobits Summary

will the next ding! at 3 p.m. (BHT) be 3 reveals?

---

There are 3 things unlocked at the goal for the next reveal, which completes the summoning circle. We will only show two of them and we will show the third one alongside the reveal of what's in the fountain of blood. That third item still unlocks when the previous two do, but it will not be revealed alongside them.

just tell us... It's 3" bases right for all the Big McLarge Huge miniatures

---

we will add in lots of bases, but not today.

I love that Dino Hut! Will it be hollow inside? Like can I stick some minis on the table and plop the hut down over them?

---

it will be hollow inside

do you follow what people have chosen in the pledge manager? In other words, do we have a reason to keep the choices up to date, other than to keep track on how big dent the campaign will make in our budget.

---

absolutely we mine that data.  As was suggested right below you it is best to put in everything you want, so we know, and then adjust your pledge down to your means as of Sept 2, than to put in only a few items and have us think that some rewards are less popular than they will be.

But in the end, we're seeing 60% of backers (up from 50% two weeks ago) and so we have a pretty good idea within 5% margin of error what our final needs will be to place our purchase orders and work orders

Pledge Manager Refresher

Lots of PM Questions. OK.

You can have thousands of dollars in the PM and you will not be billed.

About 2 weeks after the KS closes we will receive the funds form Kickstarter. They will give us a datafile with your email address and your pledge level/wave, and your amount paid. that amount is the amount in your Manage your Pledge page here on Kickstarter.com

We will then "credit" your PM account with the amount you have already pad, and you can start fixing your rewards - by fixing i mean locking in/selecting etc. I'm going to use some dollar examples just to make the discussion easier... (continued)

Suppose you pay $100 on kickstarter, and have $300 worth of rewards chosen in your PM account. You will see that you have a $100 credit, and owe $200.

You can at that time, remove some items, and pay only $100. You could remove a few items but not everything, owe $30, and be charged and pay $30. This would get you $130 in rewards - $100 paid Sept 2, 30 paid after. Then later, you still really want that other stuff. So in a few weeks or months, you come in and get $70 more. Then later still, the final $100, maybe broken ups s 2 or three "purchases". (continued)

Now, you're not obligated to spend more than the exact number of rewards you want plus shipping (and Texas and UK residents will pay Sales Tax/VAT). You could in theory Pledge $5 for one of the two statue pairs, and pay like $7 or whatever. But you could also come back every single time you get a paycheck and add another thing. We will combine every "order" you make into one box, as long as we can make it all fine one box (some people order a LOT).

Some backers will accidentally use a different email to log into kickstarter.com and make their pledge than they use to log into the pm. Our system will compare their login email to the list of email addresses with paid pledges, and if it doesn't find a match, it will charge them the higher price.

We can fix this if you contact us, but it is much simpler and less stressful for you as a backer to simply make sure that you login to both websites with the same email address.

Any theme related add-ons coming too (like dire T-Rex or woolly mammoth)?

---

we do have plans for some larger Lost Valley style Optional Rewards - but whether we include will depend a lot on the reaction to this expansion after it is greater than 50% revealed and we can determine if the concept has enough "legs" to justify additional molds.

I'm on the fence about it ill be honest and whether i get it depends on what else is in it. But that house is gorgeous and I can see so many uses for it for goblins and so forth. What is the base size of the house?

---

the hut is around 5" at its longest side

do you know about how big that ankylosaur is going to be?

---

Intended to fit on a Huge base (3" base)

The labels on the Bones series paints seem different (not just graphically). Are you guys using a new printing method?

---

We have gotten a new printer recently

Wait… is Pizza Dungeon a real restaurant?

---

We're turning our factory into Pizza Dungeon for the finale party

I'm noticing what appears to be an Arnise inconsistency. We have blonde messy haired Arnise in the comics and brunette tidy haired Arnise on the map and I believe the miniature. Is there more than one? A doppel-Arnise if you will? Is there a potential for messy haired blonde in mini form? These questions plague me :)

---

Oh, Arnise likes to color her hair. She was green for about a month back in 2016, and red with pink chunks after that.

• Like 11

I am interested in the Bones 4 kickstarter, but I really only want the "Paint Set B" add on. I have way too many mini's to paint as it is! 

So do I just put my self down as the $1 backer option and expect to pay 18 bucks + shipping? Does that also mean I have to wait until Feb 2019 to receive?

23 minutes ago, MnemonicGhost said:

I am interested in the Bones 4 kickstarter, but I really only want the "Paint Set B" add on. I have way too many mini's to paint as it is! 

So do I just put my self down as the $1 backer option and expect to pay 18 bucks + shipping? Does that also mean I have to wait until Feb 2019 to receive?

Yes, choose the $1 level and increase it to $18 in Kickstarter or the Pledge manager. Shipping will be calculated in the pledge manager after the KS ends.

Yes, you would have to wait until Feb 2019. They won't start making the new paints until then.

• Like 1

Important note: Kickstarter is currently experiencing image uploading issues, which may result in the next Update being delayed. Please be patient; Reaper is aware of the issue and is communicating with KS support about it. 

Quote from Reaperbryan:

OK, I'm packing up my kit and heading home for dinner. I will stay on top of this all night and I promise I will work to fix these images as soon as I can. Please remind newcomers of the link below, and that this problem appears to be site-wide affecting projects who updated, added, or changed images today.

Reaper Miniatures 6-time creator 6 minutes ago 
@Kro - we have the Current Core Set, The Current Core Set Goal, All Unlocked And Future Options, and All Expansions here: https://www.reapermini.com/bones4 

• Like 6

Day 29 Infobits Summary

Any chance the Fungal Queen could be added to the next 360° previews?

---

We'll have to do video for that instead of a turnaround because it was a traditional sculpt, but I can check

thanks for that Fungal Queen WIP shot. What sort of putty/clay is that being sculpted out of?

---

Ron: you'll need to ask CVP herself, but I believe it's Fimo

---

It is fimo. I did say I sculpt in rainbow....

how big a base would it take to accommodate the King Cobra?

---

a 5" circle or a 4" x 5" oval base would be required for the King Cobra, minimum. Larger if that's how you like them

translucent grey, meaning grey like the terrain/ graveyard pieces.. but not 100% opaque?

---

the slimes? Yes, translucent grey, like smoke. The way that the fire elements is translucent red, but this one has black pigments added without opacitors.

At kickstarter fulfillment time, pretty much everyone is a packer or shipper I'll bet.

---

We keep a single employee in each department keeping it running to fulfill orders. One caster, one packager, one paint dept, and all of order fulfillment stays on task. Everyone else is repurposed.

Are the books on item 126 (part of Grave Things) separate or are they molded onto the altar?

---

they are separate.

A how-the-PM-works video - it was made for Bones 3 but other than the link itself everything works the same

Due to problems with the Kickstarter Interface, there were less questions answered than normal as Bryan was trying to get everything working. Feel free to ask again today!

• Like 10