Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Information Thread

Day 3 Infobits Summary part 1:

if you go to Facebook and look up our painting contest Paint My Dragon there is a listing of Reaper Dragons.

@Aryanun - Rocky is the thing Wren was painting that she couldn't talk about.

@Lord Lovehandles - over the 5 years we've been making Bones, we've had a few models that didn't survive the transition from metal to plastic well. We've learned, and we're better at choosing models that will look good and function well. Because of this, there's many metal figures that are simply unsuitable for the transition, and others that, in retrospect, we're just not fond of the aesthetic, and given a choice of "this model which we like, and this very similar model we don't" the one we like gets chosen.

That was a long way around of saying that while we have about 3,000 different metal models, we suspect fewer than 500 are viable candidates for Bones, and over 300 of those have already been used.

are the hill giants and fire giant on the same scale as the enlarged giants from Bones 3?

-

@Baron von Jamin - yes, they are roughly analogous. There are some variations, as we believe that just as not all humans are exactly 6'0", not all giants should be precisely 3" tall (in scale)

@Deadication, for all previous projects, a wave has taken an average of 10 hours to complete, so the difference in which day your rewards ship from wave 1 to wave 6 is 1-2 business days.

^^EDIT: "1-2 business days per wave - so like 5-10 days."

What's the biggest reason why only 1/6th of your line is viable Bones candidates?

-

@Alexander borate - many details don't transition effectively, and others are too .. flimsy is not the right word, but would have appalling stability issues. That's our biggest worry is that a model we think is good, once actually on (the very expensive) mold will turn out to just be a dud because of an intrinsic instability.

I was looking through bones 3 and kinda noticed most the unlocks after 1 mil were addons, can we expect that here you think? Or will the core set be larger this go?

-

@Chrois Holodnak - Mostly, but we also still have Core Set adds for after $1M this time. We believe last time we front-loaded the core set too heavily.

@Reaper do you think the core set total will be equivalent to previous bones? They all seemed to be 150 ish minis in total

-

@Christian - roughly, but Gauth's molds are as costly as 10 "human" figures, so when we're doing our calculations we count him as 10. This means that for us to keep our costs the same, we will do things slightly differently.

Continued below.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 15

Day 3 Infobits Summary part 2:

@Reaper- out of curiosity, why is the Narglauth 'mini' a different color material in that picture?

-

@Colin - that is a master, not a Bones model. The molds do not yet exist to produce the model in Bones.

Also, and these images will be pushed in an update later, and we will add more images to this page later, but here's some scale images of Narglauth, compared to Fire Demon (Bones 2) and Rauthuros (Bones 1) https://www.reapermini.com/bones4

Reaper, is there a list of miniatures included in the core set?

-

@Bob Arnold - we don't maintain a consumer friendly list. Most of these models don't have names anyway. and all they have is sculptor reference "Bobby Knight" etc.

This probably fits under the no discussing unannounced stretch goals but are there any plans for DVDs, Artbooks, shirts for this one?

-

@Type 2 - that falls under not talking about that kind of thing yet.

any chance the Zombie Dragon will be Ma'al sized?

-

@Christian - after we reveal that model's goal, we can show scale references.

when does the griffon get revealed? How close are we?

-

@Christian - It's on the horizon. I can't be more specific.

Please excuse my naivety but why are miniatures so very small? [...] Surely there must be a high demand for larger figures? Easier to paint and see. Also should be much easier to get the detailing done when manufacturing.

-

@Rob Vickery - as a general rule the largest market is for 28-32mm models, as opposed to 54mm or 72mm. This standard became very popular with the advent of D&D and the ubiquitous 1" grid maps, where a 1" miniature was the proper scale.

The sabretooth pug. Can it be replaced?

-

@Jason - no. we d not offer substitutions or replacements. Every back that receives the Trolls reward will receive the same models in the set.

@Anonymous- Gauth alone will be $30 MSRP at final retail.

Can you see how many $1 are actually @1, or say under 50

-

@anonymous - I'm not really permitted to give that information, but there a lot of $1 backers at only $1. The average Pledge is $105 right now.

Continued below.

Huzzah!

• Like 11

Day 3 Infobits Summary part 3:

so am I wrong in thinking this KS is running longer than the others? Is there any specific reason?

-

@CrimsonK - It's shorter than Bones 1, but it is longer than Bones 3. It was a decision intended to give backers a chance to recover from GenCon

@Zombie Painter - each time in the past we have added bases, Bases did not replace an existing goal, they were tossed in between goals to stimulate enthusiasm. At no time did the number of models made/molds made change because we added bases - but buying on bases enabled us to raise extra, and thus make more molds.

@Aryanun - well, you know how Mr. Bones wants the heroes to deliver a scroll? Have you wondered ... to whom?

if the size of the dragons keeps growing, we'll need a "ladder" add-on by the time we get to Bones 20 or so...

-

@Bart VK - *note to self* 'buy stock in ladder company'

are the painted ones the actual Bones-version?

-

@Bart - nothing showcased is actual Bones version. The molds have not been made - that's what we're funding. Those are resin masters.

@Omnislush - we have a 3 sheet spreadsheet. Sheet one is goals we, for various reasons, all want in the project. Sheet two is the ideas that we'd like to do, and that if we see lots of user votes for, we add those, and ones ya'll don't vote for, we leave alone. And sheet 3 we record user suggestions that our art director is excited by

Seeing such a big number is daunting.. it's like "man i want to put in more and see more goals" just to realize at the end of day i as an individual won't count for 0.01% of the total.. it's very impressive and humbling to see what the combined forces of thousands of wallets are

-

@Omnispush - it may be daunting but we're still tracking over $2000 per hour. that's exceptionally healthy, and while it puts the Kobolds at tomorrow, that's ok. Honestly, 32 days of 10 SG a day would exhaust our artists - this pace is exactly what allows us to be responsive. We can create the art assets - be it concept art, sculpts, or 3-d renders - and add those to the maps and other graphics, in response to user requests and suggestions. We have about 10 undefined levels, with about 25 ideas for them (which we will choose to fill with items we see requested, if you ask for one of them), Another two dozen or so are fixed - these ideas WILL be in the project (assuming funding goals), and another 3 are undefined. We've assigned one of those based on user comments already, and will be assigning out another early next week. So honestly, in a way, this slow pace is actually one of the best things we can hope for - it's sustainable, steady, and allows for us to be responsive, giving you the best of what the gestalt mind wants.

Continued below.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 13

Day 3 Infobits Summary part 4 (last one for Day 3):

Has Reaper ever done a series of 'downtrodden adventurers'? IE, the versions of adventures after they've had some really bad outcome / lost most everything / went senile.

-

@Jason Emery - in the past, wounded, maimed, and haggard heroes have sold exceptionally poorly. Our theory is that it's the reason most fantasy avatars are "fit" and "greek human ideal or godlike" physique. In fantasy, people tend to want to be the "best" version of themselves/their idealized hero character.

It's one reason we often get heat for lack of variety in our models physique - we tend towards the idealized shapes, which doesn't often include rubenesque women and men, paunches, dad-bods, or other body types. While we certainly do not believe that "good" and "heroic" equate to "physically fit", the fanbase, by and large (and it's VERY evident from sales patterns) doesn't tend to buy alternative body types - including physical disabilities and obesity.

Though two of my favorite mini's from the last 2 kickstarter were the obese monk with a barrel cask and the overweight half orc from the townsfolk

-

@Rx2Web - interestingly, we have found over the years that obese males tend to perform marginally better than non-idealized females.

I'd like to see various 1 inch and 2 inch bases that have terrain on them, made in rigid Bonesium. Lava bases, Desert bases, Snow Bases, Forest Bases, Wood Plank/Inn/Ship, SciFi, etc.

-

@Peter Fedorka - We usually don't comment on future stretch goals, but every now and then we do. We have many many friends in the miniatures industry, and one of our best friends are the folks at Secret Weapon Miniatures. They do, we believe, amazing work with an inventory of hundreds of styles of textured bases in dozens of sizes. We would never step on MisterJustin's toes by offering a competing product - he is a great guy, with a great group of employees, and runs a top notch company we are happy to support.

Short answer - we will not be doing textured bases any time soon.

Beside your name is the label "6-time creator." Please explain the label and what all 6 of the "creations" were.

-

@benjoshua - 4 of the 6 are Bones 1-4. One of them was a collaboration with Talon Games to help promote their CAV game, which they purchased the IP from us, so we felt it appropriate, as the fan base for them were familiar much more with us than them. One of them was Base Boss, a small project that we set up to produce bases in many many sizes, to be manufactured at our factory in Denton, instead of having bases made in China.

We were also collaborators with Secret Weapon on their Dungeon Tiles project, but that is not added into our tally.

Has Reaper ever thought about having a Kickstarter for non-fantasy figures, maybe a mostly space/technology/robots Kickstarter, or mostly horror/dark future/chronoscope Kickstarter or all of those or something like that?

-

@Benjoshua - I am not aware of any plans to have any future kickstarters. I'm not saying this is the last one, but we aren't already working out a business plan for the next one - and if history is the guide, we would normally not start that kind of thing until we were pretty much just waiting on delivery. It's going to be a long time before we start talking about whether or not to have another one, and even longer before I'd be allowed to disclose anything.

At retail all FIVE rocky won't come together right

-

@Anonymous- no, at retail they will be sold singly.

We will not be removing items from our game plan as a result of negative requests.

End of Day 3.

Huzzah!

• Like 11

16 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

It mentions Sir Forscale being "Human Sized". This can lead to confusion for those unfamiliar with our good knight or 28mm scale minis in general. It would be useful to get his true dimensions (in inches and mm) in the FAQ.

The Bones Sir Forscale is 47mm from the bottom of his base to the top of his sword.

Huzzah!

• Like 9

I noticed how that a lot of the minis (minotaurs, kobolds, Rocky, fire giant huntsman, etc) seem to be built on round bases. Is this true? And if so, will they be produced connected?

• Like 2

Skeletal Monsters addon: Do you plan to make the extra skulls interchangable on these miniatures? (because that would be neat and useful)

• Like 2

How does Reaper decide which items are courtesy stretch goals and which are addon items? Like the skeleton monsters are to be an addon, but the devils are popped into the core. They seem of similar magnitude in terms of crafting them, and garner similar levels of interest (at least to my untrained eye). 

Just curious.

• Like 3

Day 4 Infobits Summary part 1 (sorry it's late):

Oh, and Jason Wiebe sent something today as well. Showed it to Bryan and we both shared a knowing nod. (this is Ron)

-

That was a pretty cool pic Jason sent. Some of these backers are gonna get really excited. (this is Bryan)

@Anonymous - Izzy shared something with me this afternoon. I think a lot of people are going to be pretty happy with it.

We are planning a 3rd LTPK, yes. Rhonda Bender is writing it.

And while it's not official until it's "official", the third set is Skin and Flesh. No, it won't be part of this KS.

Dan - we'd hoped for Christmas seasonal sales, but more likely spring 2018.

has izzy been commissioned for any tasks based on viewer feedback??

-

@anonymous- yep. I'm aware of 3 backer suggestions that have been commissioned

Painted shots of the Kobold Mooks: https://www.reapermini.com/bones4

Easy Bryan ... give us the update now and you can drive home in peace ... I promise I won't look at it before we hit 895k.

-

@Weresheep, in 7 projects, I have done that exactly once. Bones 1, we were on a very slow day, tracking for a 3am reveal. I was exhausted so at 2:30 I hit the button anyway (about $500 early)

Has the end of the campaign preparations been discussed at all down at HQ?

-

@Anonymous, I know Ed's planning something but I'm not clear on the details yet

Anybody know what the deal is with that super tiny High Roller?

-

@Andrew - Pyp? That's the wizard's familiar!

The prices on some of these options seem off compared to the big discount we're getting on the core set and paints. I have a hard time committing $15 for a mini I might not need in 18 months if the premium for waiting is only like 20-25%.

-

@ProfessorLOL - That Dragon Turtle is easily going to be $30 if not $35 at retail.

have you guys considered the market for 6mm ships (fantasy or space or historical), or is that outside your core competency?

-

@Granite - we have helped other companies produce such models, but it is not a market we are interested in at this time.

Continued below.

Huzzah!

• Like 8

Day 4 Infobits Summary part 2:

How difficult is it to change addresses after pm locks down?

-

@Omnislush - great question. You can change your address at any time, but it is slightly different for each zone. EU and AU backers will have the files with their addresses sent to the shipping hubs, and changes cannot be made after that point. US backers will be able to change right up until the same time. We will announce the Friday before we begin shipping that you have until Monday to have your address up to date, and after that, NO backers can change their address

is there any chance of the little pictures like the old bones had for supporters? i want a bones 4 supporter one

-

@Elli - I was planning on making a few of those with some art that hasn't come in yet.

@Crimson - We will have the master copy of the Wyvern in the video, so you will be able to see all angles and scale.

Are there plans to phase out the older designs of Bones Giants that have been updated by Bones 3 and possibly Bones 4?

@Ben Warrick - we currently plan to offer all versions simultaneously. Sales trends over the next few years will tell us whether to retire one set over another.

can you confirm at least if we're getting more conversions in the future? VS all the new and unique figure types

-

@anonymous - this project will have many more new models, although many of those are improved versions of older ideas - the dragon turtle, for example, which we previewed on https://www.reapermini.com/bones4 and Facebook, is a new sculpt of a model idea we've done before.

another thing to remember is that after 5 years of Bones, we have a broad and stable baseline of models. This allows us to expand into the more esoteric offerings, with stranger requests that fill niches, which, if done too early in a product line, fail to secure you enough volume. So in addition to more new models, this project has many more monsters, and more unique ideas - sci fi dinosaurs, as one example

@Andrew Muller - Yes, I am saying there will be a Chronoscope part 3. We are not ready to announce the goal target yet

@Elli - apart from filing 2 blanks with goals we had in our "maybe" list, no major plan changes for the weekend's planned reveals. We discussed a video showing several models from multiple angles, and some banner ads for various sites, as well as proper use of Facebook promotions.

how do you guys approach other RPG/IP to get create a fig?

-

@Payne Mykonos - Licensing is a very complicated subject, and each company we work with has a different culture and approach. At present, we are not actively pursuing new licensing deals, and are working on improving our internal processes to better serve the evolving marketplace of the modern era.

Continued below.

Huzzah!

• Like 7

Day 4 Infobits Summary part 3:

Who's running your speed painting events at Gen Con?

-

@Dan - The MHE event crew is running them this year, led by Shannon Stiltz. I am given to understand that we donated product support, because she told me we did.

Are any of the paints new this time? I cannot keep up with all those.

@Marvin, none of the paints in Set A are new, but there will be new colors in Set B

@Baphomet - it is beyond the scope of this project to dedicate project resources towards a revival of the Warlord games.

will all the characters from the front page comic be made as minis for this project?

-

@Michael V. Drejer - I believe I can confirm that, as something we will begin revealing next week.

is number 12 a were-lion?

-

@Stephen - it is a Wererat Giant, or Wererat Ogre, or mutant Rat Giant-kin

@Peter Apple Head Anderson - We have made games in the past. We have made adventure modules in the past. Both have performed reasonably well. Nevertheless, our primary focus is making miniatures, and we will most likely stick to that for quite some time.

is the battering ham that Jason Wiebe showed on Facebook an actual part of the troll stretch goal? Thanks!

-

@David Locke - we will be producing it, but have not made the final decision as to whether the Pig will be added to the reward level. If we do, we will announce it via Update.

when designing Bones sets, what would you say is the balance you try to strike between the numbers of heroes and monsters/villains? I've noticed that if I was going by this set, there are a lot of things to fight against, but not much that does the fighting.

-

@Lord Lovehandles - the ratio has evolved over the years. Bones 1 was very PC oriented. But in the last 5 years our Sales data supports Monsters outselling PC models by a significant margin, so each project has a slightly greater bias towards monsters. We do have many more PC and NPC types planned for this project, however.

@Chris Holodnak - the first hour after a new SG reveal is usually pretty active. This is why we try to space goals such that we can reach one per day, and create funding targets, like Wyverns, who can be created on the smaller budget thus afforded.

Anyone else notice that the map is made from the Fat Dragon digital tiles we got in the last Kickstarter?

-

@Dan - Fat Dragon were kind enough to give us permission to use their tiles for our graphics, they are truly wonderful people.

Continued below.

Huzzah!

• Like 7

Day 4 Infobits Summary part 4 (last one for Day 4):

Also, we have updated https://www.reapermini.com/bones4 with painted images of the Wraiths.

We will also share these images in an Update over the weekend, for all backers. Those of you in the comments get to see them a little earlier.

as I'm looking at Bones 2 and 3, it seems like $100K between additions to the Core Set ($895K to wyvern unlock) is a lot less generous than previous projects.

-

@Paint Monk - we are reducing the distance between goals in the slow days, by virtue of having slightly expanded them on the first map. You'll note that $ to Rocky was $65,000, but $ to Wyvern after that is only $35,000

@Rachel - Most projects for returning creators have a very U shaped funding curve. The first 2 days are high, the middle bit has low daily averages for new backers and new pledges, and the last 2-3 days are also very high. We are not surprised by the reduction in pace, and are prepared to do what we can to keep enthusiasm up.

@Belinda - we are most likely to ship rewards to our two overseas hubs first, and then begin to process N.America/S.America orders. Because of Transit times to our overseas hubs, most US backers will get their orders first, even though they will be pulled and processed last.

@Michael Edwards - we will have more paid add ons, but we also want to cram as much into the core set as possible

Will we get a notification here when past Kickstarter models are available on the Reaper Bones website?

-

@Deadication, we don't normally send out such notifications, but each month until all B3 models are released we are releasing 25 more

@Jarrod Bigalky - We have partnered with Canadian companies before, but currently have no plans to add an additional factory in that region

you get weekends off or is ks campaign a 24/7 job?

-

@Omnislush - 24/7 for me until it wraps. then I get a few days off, and then it's back t the logistics of the backend

scale shots of Narglauth with the fire demon: https://www.reapermini.com/bones4

We will officially post the images in that link in an update over the weekend, as well as any other scale reference shots we make today.

-

@Reaper Thanks for that, he looks great! I have Rauthuros as well.

-

you're welcome! Honestly, I kind of like those kinds of requests because the backer reactions to something being a size they're not expecting is usually entertaining.

Fantasy Saurials would interest me also, as I was the impetus behind the sci-fi saurials

+1 bones dm screen.

@Ravendas - like, one appropriately sized for Mr. Bones? So a trifold screen about .75" tall? Interesting accessory idea. :D

End of Day 4.

Huzzah!

• Like 9

@Reaperbryan Questions from the chatter thread:

8 hours ago, breegull said:

will the below kobold bases need to be trimmed to fit cleanly onto a reaper 20mm round base which is more like 17-18 mm at the top?

KoboldMooksScale.jpg

10 hours ago, Pineapple said:
10 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

So saw this on Oneboot's latest KS comment post in information thread:

is the battering ham that Jason Wiebe showed on Facebook an actual part of the troll stretch goal? Thanks!

-

@David Locke - we will be producing it, but have not made the final decision as to whether the Pig will be added to the reward level. If we do, we will announce it via Update.

So this has kind of put the trolls on my backburner list of stuff to get. Unless something changes or new cool stuff pops up, my LOCKS are wraiths, high rollers and Rocky all to be pledged before KS ends. Then I need to save up and lock core set after KS ends. Then MAYBE get some add on's as money allows, but maybe not trolls now until we get confirmation of battering ham. 

Yeah I was under the impression earlier that the pig was definitely in based on other comments. 

10 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

I suspect the sculptor may have accidentally tipped people off 'before it was time'. 

Clarification?

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 3

Day 5 Infobits Summary part 1:

Some aren't all new (or am I wrong?). The marsh troll seems very similar to the troll king from Bones 1? And 49-50 in townsfolk I think I have lying around somewhere. Or maybe I have the metals and am just confused

-

@Peter - the swamp trolls lis similar, but is a new sculpt. When we talk about NEW models, we mean "never produced in Bones before", although a great many of these have not been produced in metal either.

is the turtle already sculpted? If yes is it floating or resting on the loot as alluded to in the gfx

-

@Anonymous the copy I have is floating, but the loot pile is the connection point to the surface. So it is ... attached and floating? I mean, we don't quite make minis that levitate yet

Could you tell us how it is attached please?

-

@John free - a subtle socket connection. I don't have it in front of me but it's not a big ugly hole. Although, It has happened that the mold making team has altered the original connections for structural reasons.

Digital Renders either already have been printed but the print isn't cleaned or mastered yet, Or have not yet been printed. But they represent a completed sculpt.

So is the skeletal creatures one of the 80%?

I think Bane is referring to the 80% of the SG that are 'set' for this KS.

-

Oh, predetermined? Yes. all the green cells in the spreadsheet are fixed.

Oh, yeah, you can't see that spreadsheet. Here: http://imgur.com/8gegLix

I don't have direct access to the calculations [for shipping], we live query the shippers with the package data estimated weight and estimated size based on selections. I cannot confirm estimates.

-----

Thanks reaper, got that. Ordered from your store before, so my account is already set to [home country].

@Allistair - if you've done other Kickstarters then it knows your address from them, but I promise you it does not get your account information off the main site. I know this, I wrote it.

-----

Also remember, the $20-45 is the average range from Bones 3, which were most frequently NOT Core Set Only. Smaller orders, such as those with one item, might be cheaper.

less than 20% of backers comment, and less than 10% comment more than a handful of times.

Continued below.

Huzzah!

• Like 6