Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I have a few WIPs that are taking forever, but I needed an alternate Kuo Toa faction for D&D tonight, so I went for it and “speed painted” these in about 4 hours.
I used both BCA Pink *and* Drow Nipple Pink as the main skin and spine colors! Do I get bonus points for that?
Here are the ones I did a few months before that took about 4 times longer over several weekends.
By Rob Dean
After yesterday's work on the Bones 4 scenics, I dug around and finished off the first of a set of resin buildings I got from an Apocalypse Miniatures Kickstarter a year or two back:
I also finished basing up a seriously vintage (ca. 1974) Minifig Ent:
And, finally touched up basing and finished off my Gencon speed paints:
From left to right, a Word preliminary round figures, a Reaper preliminary round, a Wyrd final round, and a Reaper final round. (So, 45 minutes on the preliminaries and 60 minutes on the finals...I added names to the two preliminaries; retitled the Word final, and attached the Reaper final to a Frostgrave-themed snow and rock base.)
Bit of a kitbash here. The chap with the spear is from Alternative Armies. The others are a mix of Warlord orc heads (previously Wargames Factory) with two frostgrave arms and bodies, one Oathmark goblin, and one Oathmark dwarf heavy infantryman.
Have managed to get a really quick palette going for speed painting orcs. I prime them by brush with Vallejo dark grey primer, then use Scale 75 black metal for the armour, Vallejo hammered copper for decoration and metal details, dark red for cloth and dark brown for leather. The skin is Vallejo Model Colour Heavy Warm Grey. Then the whole model gets a black ink wash and I pick out teeth etc in light grey. These models took about 90 minutes altogether, ex drying time.
Really enjoyed painting these up, and looking forward to getting the Bones Kickstarter with 12 more unique sculpts.
Painted these as a batch of 12 in about 2.5 hours by starting with an all over coat of Vallejo German Red Brown primer, then a wash with Green stuff World Swamp Brown ink. Then just a case of picking out the details, and highlighting the skin with Vallejo Game Colour Tan. I didn't finish off with a wash, as I normally would, because the minis were so small and had a Brown palette. I thought I would just blur the details if I washed them..
The bases are mdf disks (20mm) with Green stuff World roller used to add a texture. That was just painted in Scale 75 Grey Brown and shaded with Army Painter Strong Tone.
As I said on my Saproling's topic, I had today off, so... I decided that in addition to the saprolings, I'd knock out some tabletop quality ghouls. They were already assembled and primed, so the first thing was to paint the undead flesh. I used Vampire Shadow for their sickly skin. It didn't quite match the ghoul I'd painted before, but it was close enough. I sadly didn't always take good notes...
After that I decided that as these were primarily going to be gaming ghouls, and not for a unified force for Kings of War, they'd each get their own clothing color: Red, Green, Blue, Tan, and Dark Brown. I used Rusty Red, Muddy Olive, Rich Indigo, Desert Stone, and Ruddy Flesh. The eyes were all painted with Walnut Brown, as were the spikes sticking out of them.
Then I washed them all with a mix of 4 parts sepia wash and 1 part black wash.
A little bit of highlighting with the base clothing color, then it was time to paint the bases black, and then flock them! Oh, and a bit of watered down rusty red around the mouth.
Oh, and aged pewter on the spikes and the cleaver.
Looking good for such quick work.
Who's Online 14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 192 Guests (See full list)