Ok so, my aussie friends and us play RPGs via Roll20 every friday and we take turns GMing. After a bit of a hiatus we've come back to my game, which is based in my world I call the Land of Oden. It's essentially high fantasy, low tech (though some exists from the 'previous' world, it's considered anathema) - you've got your typical racial archetypes.

The basic backstory is there are a lot of independent type holdings, and most people belong to a Guild, if they have a trade. Guilds keep the areas safe, caravans going, food grown, and animals, well husbanded. Anyway, so the PCs are all Guild Journeymen off on their Journeyman's quest (a ritual they all have to go through before being considered full time Guild members). By tradition the quest is secret - they can ask for help, but not say "I'm on X quest, help me find Y" kind of thing.

Lots of random quests are easy enough to insert - but here's the thing. I didn't think too far ahead when I decided they were on their Journeyman's quests... and all of them are very different >< I'm having trouble tying them all together =/ I was hoping maybe one of you guys would have some ideas to help out!

Quests:

Dariac - Dragon-Slayer (kinda defunct ancient order as Dragons no longer exist): find a red herring (deliberately made it so basically it can be anything)

Althoniel (Healer): has to find a special plant known to flower perhaps only every 11 years (provided random pic)

Mud - (Hunter): find the White Stag (not necessarily kill, just needs proof)

Rosen - (Wanderer - essentially woods guide/surveyor type): needs to survey Khurash Dhenfor (an area no one's been in for a generation, give or take)

Rincwind - (Mage) - survive to the Guild seat, at the top of the Mountain (planning a surprise for this one, once he gets there)

Heldin/!s͎tchp - (Elf) - not really the same, his background is he was cursed somehow into the shape of a falcon (!s͎tchp) and ended up travelling with Mud as a companion for a long time, until a recent spate of magic in a Necromancer's Lair seemed to give him the ability to shift, at least temporarily back to his Elven form (it's still somewhat involuntary)

So while this can be an ongoing campaign for a while - and there will be a big Baddie slowing them down etc - I need some way to tie these together >< How do I get myself out of this pickle?! I am a little loathe to simply let them all find out everything they're looking for is in the same place... that seems... just wrong. Idk =/

Help? lol

• Like 1

Have you thought about dragons being forced into hiding, rather than no longer existing?

You could very easily tie all the quest together into a larger coherent story with some dragons conspiring to come out of hiding.  The dragon slayer quest becomes more relevant.  Maybe the dragons also need the healers flower.  Dragons may poly-morph into stags for recon purposes (something as a white stag).  A survey of Khurash Dhenfor find evidence of said dragons.  A dragon could fancy moving into the area around the wizard Guild seat.  Your big bad could be in cahoots with the dragon league.  etc. etc.

• Like 3

Well, having them stick together through additional complications is already planned.

Why do their guild quests secretly have to be connected though? PCs in a party play through other PCs backgrounds all the time, because they get to like and support each other. 

Completing their quests might help them confront their combined goal, so the other characters have an incentive to help. Maybe the quests are also not solvable for one person alone and are meant to teach the applicant the value of teamwork and having different strengths (like having the flower for the healer protected by some monsters that need defeating, forcing healers to have more brutal help), forcing them to work together and get into a chain of "I owe you one".

• Like 3

Brilliant ideas!! this is why I knew I needed to ask you guys hah sometimes it helps to have an outside perspective

One reason I'm having issues, I think, is this is kinda a world I created when I was young and while I'm trying to make it more mature, I'm also trying not to loose some of my I guess whimsical ideas, if that makes sense?

I love the hidden dragon idea!

RE: connecting the quests, I guess they really don't. It might be a good to work on how they can help each other do them, as you mention. I think I've been stuck on their Journeyman quests being a main quest and it's taken me a while to realize, they don't have to be, and that that isn't even necessarily the best idea.

Anyway thanks guys! appreciate the help :D Sorry to be so late to respond, we all came down with the pox here ><

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.