BananeDC

[Hosting Pics down] Solutions ?

After Photobucket  turning from free to 50$/month (:blink:), HostingPics announces that the site is closing. When you have a lot of images on forums, it's a problem : 1) you do nothing and there will a lot of holes in your favorite forums 2) you have a lot of work re-upping pics and repairing the broken links everywhere.

I need a solution, i wanna be sure that the images will be there to stay, even if i have to pay (but not 50$/month...).

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks.

You can post pics here in Show Off and WIP and Random directly from your own PC.

Just choose files and upload, reduce the size , I believe max 6mb.  150KB!!!

Only nudity pics must be linked.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

I wound up resorting to using the webhost I'm using for my website(s), as it's a consistent price (it's around $146 CAD per year, all in (including GST, domain registration, unlimited hosting, unlimited websites attached, and privacy stuff), and that's with the almost double the going rate for the domain hosting (I'll switch it over to namecheap at some point, and save close to $10 CAD per year).  There are options like imgur, Tumblr, and pixiv? (can't recall spelling) but yeah, a lot of the free hosts seem to be drying up. 

As for what @Glitterwolf said, I thought limit was 150KB per pic here on the forums? 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 1

I stand corrected. It is 150 KB

Uploading Images, Some Tips:
1. Stick with gifs and jpegs. Windows IE doesn't like png and Macs don't like bmp.
2. File size is limited to 150k. If you can't get your image down below 150k, ask around. There are a number of people who can probably help out around here.
3. Please keep 'em small (or smallish, anyway)... most folks are using modems to connect and a page full of 30 and 50k images is going to lead to significant load times. Just because you're allowed 150k doesn't mean you have to use all of it all the time.

• Like 1

I use Flickr.  IIRC you get a terabyte of free storage.  But mostly I just upload from my PC on sites that allow that. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I'm really looking for image hosting sites that provide the tools needed (bulk uoload, auto image links for forums at the size chosen etc). @Glitterwolf : 150 k is really too short, unfortunately. (by the way i can't believe that the majority of people still use 56k modems. People have at least ADSLconnections now).

I already have an Imgur account, half of my photos are there. Will have a look at Tumblr and Pixiv.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, while we usually have decent broadband here in Europe, there are 'black spots' or at least some very dirty grey areas.

My brother lives in 'central' Norway, about 30minute drive from our largest airport, but until recently he had to use mobile broadband because the telecom central in his area wasn't upgraded to handle ADSL.  

In large areas around the world they call it 'broadband' if you get more than 1Mbps download.

And in other areas there's metering.

• Like 2

I have started using Google cloud for images that needs to be linked.  It's working fine for me, but there is a storage size limit.

• Like 3

I used to have a paid Photobucket account.  I didn't mind paying a reasonable amount, since I didn't expect them to provide the service for free.  But then they decided what they wanted was an unreasonable amount, so I decided "no... no."

• Like 4