• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sharkbelly
      On the board this week is the basilisk. I have started the base coat on the lower half and the first wash.

• By Pingo
      This is the Reaper Bones 77371 Basilisk sculpted by Julie Guthrie. It's quite small - about the size of a large dog, with a wonderfully grouchy visage.

I painted it up fairly quickly to illustrate a video about how yellow and black can be mixed to make greens. This was an example of the less vivid greens (For a really vivid yellow-and-black green, see my She-Hulk Show-Off thread). All the colors on the critter were mixed just from yellow (mostly Yellow Ochre, but also a little Hansa Yellow), black, and white.

The video is here, if anyone cares to watch it.

• By TaleSpinner
      Some of you may remember the diorama I had started entitled Billy's Bad Day.  For various reasons, I am, for the most part abandoning that concept.  I was really struggling to tell the story I had in my head.  I still however want to paint my basilisk, and maybe include it in a diorama, but if I do, I will likely include another character that is a bit more relate-able to the viewer than a couple of goats. 

More on that later.  For now, I'm going to concentrate on painting the basilisk as I have time between sculpts.  If I get that done and my other ReaperCon entry for 2019 in time, I will look into expanding this into a diorama. If not, this can still be my Open category entry.

Here is the basilisk:

The basilisk will be based on a Gila Monster:

But instead of pink, the light areas will be inverse flame color (red up to yellow) with a black belly and skin. 

A few months ago, I used my air brush to add a coat of brown liner/blue liner to the skin areas, then air brushed the rest with Cinnamon Red.

Lately, I have been reading Rhonda Bender's (@Wren) blog, Bird with a Brush.  For the past month she has had a series of articles on Contrast that have really got me itching to pick up a brush again, but I've had way too much sculpting work to get done to do so. I strongly recommend that you follow her blog, it is excellent.  The articles on contrast are as follows:

Compare and Contrast Contrast Versus Realism How to Paint Contrast – Mind Games How to Paint Contrast – Hands On   Last night, I was ill with a cold, but had slept much of the afternoon.  I wanted to relax, but my brain was just not functioning the way I needed it to to start the next step of the druid turtle, so I picked up this painting and decided to do the next step.  I decided to follow Rhonda's advice and add another couple layers of zenithal lighting value to the red, airbrushing on a coat of Sunrise Orange and another of Candlelight Yellow.  Then, I went back with a brush and base-coated all of the skin areas with a blend of Brown Liner and Blue Liner (I never use pure black for natural blacks).       So this is my base starting point.  From here I plan on using glazes to develop the shadows and highlights, pushing the contrast further than I have ever gone before.   Challenges I see coming for me in this project:   Finding time; I have a lot of sculpts in the hopper between now and January, so progress may be slow between now and then. Developing enough contrast.  I have a tendency to think it is enough and stop too soon.  I really want to push it on this one.  Keep me honest folks! Black/near black.  I've never been very good at black, so having major areas of black scares the stuffing out of me, especially since I will be covering major areas of finished color with black squiggles to make the gila monster markings; that's going to hurt.   The next step will be developing the major red shadows.   I want to thank Rhonda one more time for teaching, inspiring, and challenging me to do this.  I honestly believe that this is one of my best sculpts; I want it to be my best paint job as well.
    • By wickedshifty
      This guy was so fun! 
      Mmmmm...and my uploader is broken. Sorry...I’ll try again later...
    • By Mutilatedlips
      Found this in a box at a friends house. He gave it to me for free, I eventually painted it up and gave it back for free. Painting is fun!

• Who's Online   21 Members, 1 Anonymous, 115 Guests (See full list)