• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, rfusca said:

Looking fantastic.  Wish there was videos of you doing this!

I've tried, but without someone manning a camera, it is very hard to keep it zoomed in, in focus and actually do the work. I'd be willing to do it if someone could help me figure out how to overcome that.

• Like 2

I had about 45 minutes after Scouts last night.  I made some back spines.  The first one (furthest back) took about 20 minutes as I figured out how I wanted them to look and figured out angles of attack.  The next two took about 15 minutes as I refined a repeatable technique.  The last two took about 5 minutes each.  By the time I'm done, I'll have them down to a few swipes of the tool. :lol:

IMG_E2932.JPG.3efffe123f5d8ca000fc34b27d983ddb.JPG

• Like 17
12 hours ago, GHarris said:

I am with you on fur being less time consuming than scales, but I would rather do fur or scales instead of mail armor! 

The other thing I remember being a pain to sculpt was samurai armor...

I don't mind chain mail armor; it gets kind of zen after a while.

I can definitely see where Japanese armor would be a PITA.  I tried painting it once years ago...once.

Feathers are also really time consuming.  Even though I am a bird enthusiast, I have avoided non-ratite birds since doing the Vulture.  Those wings took forever......

• Like 8
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I tried painting it once years ago...once.

If that was a Johnny Dangerously reference, I approve.   But you're kinda showing your age there TS...  ::D:

Bazzy's looking great!

Kang

Edited by Kang
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Kang said:

If that was a Johnny Dangerously reference, I approve.   But you're kinda showing your age there TS...  ::D:

Bazzy's looking great!

Kang

I love that movie.  I really need to share it with the boys.

Now I have the song stuck in my head. <_<

• Like 3

The spines are done. I'm not 100% certain what I'll do at the end of the tail.  I'll probably continue the spines to the tip, shorter and more diminished as we go.

IMG_E2936.JPG.a380e27dc989587fccc75b5dd498572a.JPG

IMG_E2937.JPG.d3f11740f97c8124ba1fcfe0a9a71ce5.JPG

I feel a little bad about these.  The mold maker is going to have to cut a vent from the tip of each spine.  On a production mold, that will be more than 30 vents/60 cuts. :unsure:

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The spines are done. I'm not 100% certain what I'll do at the end of the tail.  I'll probably continue the spines to the tip, shorter and more diminished as we go.

IMG_E2936.JPG.a380e27dc989587fccc75b5dd498572a.JPG

IMG_E2937.JPG.d3f11740f97c8124ba1fcfe0a9a71ce5.JPG

I feel a little bad about these.  The mold maker is going to have to cut a vent from the tip of each spine.  On a production mold, that will be more than 300 vents/600 cuts. :unsure:

You feel bad - is there a different way to do it that would be less vents? 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, rfusca said:

You feel bad - is there a different way to do it that would be less vents? 

Less spines.  It is a consequence of having the spines.  Seriously, I don't feel that bad.

Finished the tail spines and added neck scales on one side at lunch today:

IMG_E2938.JPG.185b23812b8e18d0072e9ffe08bef612.JPG

IMG_E2939.JPG.64a589d16a215783de0f37e06b78fa8c.JPG

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

There are so many reasons I need this. Even if you leave it with the smooth, "adorable" face. 

(But I'm looking forward to whatever you wind up doing to the face).

Thanks for the foot tutorial upthread, too. That will eventually be really useful to me.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Sanael said:

There are so many reasons I need this. Even if you leave it with the smooth, "adorable" face. 

There is a part of me that wants to make a mold of that face before I finish it so I don't lose the cute derpy version.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1