Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Definitely loving the final form, especially that head on shot!  I have no need for a basilisk mini, but I definitely want one! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By nihilville
      I ended up going in a little bit of tropical direction with this guy, using some really bright, lush greens. For his eyes, I wanted to elude to his petrifying gaze by giving them milky, cataract like coloration.


    • By Sharkbelly
      On the board this week is the basilisk. I have started the base coat on the lower half and the first wash.
       


    • By Pingo
      This is the Reaper Bones 77371 Basilisk sculpted by Julie Guthrie. It's quite small - about the size of a large dog, with a wonderfully grouchy visage.
       
      I painted it up fairly quickly to illustrate a video about how yellow and black can be mixed to make greens. This was an example of the less vivid greens (For a really vivid yellow-and-black green, see my She-Hulk Show-Off thread). All the colors on the critter were mixed just from yellow (mostly Yellow Ochre, but also a little Hansa Yellow), black, and white.
       
      The video is here, if anyone cares to watch it.
       

       
       
       

       

    • By TaleSpinner
      Some of you may remember the diorama I had started entitled Billy's Bad Day.  For various reasons, I am, for the most part abandoning that concept.  I was really struggling to tell the story I had in my head.  I still however want to paint my basilisk, and maybe include it in a diorama, but if I do, I will likely include another character that is a bit more relate-able to the viewer than a couple of goats. 
       
      More on that later.  For now, I'm going to concentrate on painting the basilisk as I have time between sculpts.  If I get that done and my other ReaperCon entry for 2019 in time, I will look into expanding this into a diorama. If not, this can still be my Open category entry.
       
      Here is the basilisk:
       

       
      The basilisk will be based on a Gila Monster:
       

       
      But instead of pink, the light areas will be inverse flame color (red up to yellow) with a black belly and skin. 
       
      A few months ago, I used my air brush to add a coat of brown liner/blue liner to the skin areas, then air brushed the rest with Cinnamon Red.
       
       
       
       
       
       
      Lately, I have been reading Rhonda Bender's (@Wren) blog, Bird with a Brush.  For the past month she has had a series of articles on Contrast that have really got me itching to pick up a brush again, but I've had way too much sculpting work to get done to do so. I strongly recommend that you follow her blog, it is excellent.  The articles on contrast are as follows:
       
      Compare and Contrast Contrast Versus Realism How to Paint Contrast – Mind Games How to Paint Contrast – Hands On   Last night, I was ill with a cold, but had slept much of the afternoon.  I wanted to relax, but my brain was just not functioning the way I needed it to to start the next step of the druid turtle, so I picked up this painting and decided to do the next step.  I decided to follow Rhonda's advice and add another couple layers of zenithal lighting value to the red, airbrushing on a coat of Sunrise Orange and another of Candlelight Yellow.  Then, I went back with a brush and base-coated all of the skin areas with a blend of Brown Liner and Blue Liner (I never use pure black for natural blacks).       So this is my base starting point.  From here I plan on using glazes to develop the shadows and highlights, pushing the contrast further than I have ever gone before.   Challenges I see coming for me in this project:   Finding time; I have a lot of sculpts in the hopper between now and January, so progress may be slow between now and then. Developing enough contrast.  I have a tendency to think it is enough and stop too soon.  I really want to push it on this one.  Keep me honest folks! Black/near black.  I've never been very good at black, so having major areas of black scares the stuffing out of me, especially since I will be covering major areas of finished color with black squiggles to make the gila monster markings; that's going to hurt.   The next step will be developing the major red shadows.   I want to thank Rhonda one more time for teaching, inspiring, and challenging me to do this.  I honestly believe that this is one of my best sculpts; I want it to be my best paint job as well.
    • By wickedshifty
      This guy was so fun! 
      Mmmmm...and my uploader is broken. Sorry...I’ll try again later...
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 3 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...