Sparrow makes a paint swatch journal

SparrowMarie

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would use the lines or possibly words to show the transparency.    I think I would stay away from the paint as it might affect the end results if it bleeds into it....  Possibly permanent marker or HB pencil would be the choice. 

I also think a word would be better than just a straight line as it would be more of a complex shape under the paint and maybe highlight coverage better because of that. (harder for the mind to fill in covered pieces and miss the fact the pieces are actually not showing)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, robinh said:

I would use the lines or possibly words to show the transparency.    I think I would stay away from the paint as it might affect the end results if it bleeds into it....  Possibly permanent marker or HB pencil would be the choice. 

I also think a word would be better than just a straight line as it would be more of a complex shape under the paint and maybe highlight coverage better because of that. (harder for the mind to fill in covered pieces and miss the fact the pieces are actually not showing)

I'm also thinking I won't use the paint, it was just handy when I was looking at options. I'm thinking using a word(s) is a good idea. Now I'll have to think of a good word(s) to use, possibly just the general color (green, blue, etc.). May have to look around the house to see if I have an HB pencil, all I have handy are mechanicals. So might have to get one.

I haven't done anything since last night, I wanted to let the ink/paint dry before I go over it again. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I'm also thinking I won't use the paint, it was just handy when I was looking at options. I'm thinking using a word(s) is a good idea. Now I'll have to think of a good word(s) to use, possibly just the general color (green, blue, etc.). May have to look around the house to see if I have an HB pencil, all I have handy are mechanicals. So might have to get one.

I haven't done anything since last night, I wanted to let the ink/paint dry before I go over it again. 

Most normal mechanical pencils are HB. HB refers to the softness of the pencil, and HB specifically is the usual writing pencil. People wanting more detail might go for H or 2H, whereas people who want smear will go for 1B or 2B. 

• Like 3

The mouse has it correct.   HB is just a softer graphite and well leave a nice dark line.  H and 2H I used to use when doing drafting to establish the initial lines as they leave a very light line due to the hardness in the lead.  I would then use the HB to darken up the final lines to make them stand out.    if you are using a mechanical pencil the default "lead" is normally an HB formulation.

Edited by robinh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, robinh said:

The mouse has it correct.   HB is just a softer graphite and well leave a nice dark line.  H and 2H I used to use when doing drafting to establish the initial lines as they leave a very light line due to the hardness in the lead.  I would then use the HB to darken up the final lines to make them stand out.    if you are using a mechanical pencil the default "lead" is normally an HB formulation.

Ah, thank you for this. I will most likely have to find a real pencil in any case since the mechanical pencil I used did not want to write over the primer well.

• Like 1

Got some #2 pencils because we apparently don't own any. That wrote over the primer with no issue. I ripped out the two pages that I had worked up because since I don't have all the kinks worked out yet I wanted to just use those as test pages. I started gridding up more pages for when I actually get going. I'll probably post some pictures tonight of my line/word tests after I have some time to actually put paint down. I'm wanting to do one color for the tests but I'm not sure which I'll go with. Probably one of the two greens I've already used for consistency.

• Like 3