Sign in to follow this  
Disciple of Sakura

T'Rakzul as Red Dragon and Treasure Hoard

I stayed one of my last big miniatures from Bones 3 finally, and put together a large base for him. He's enormous, so I decided he'd be my colossal Great Wyrm Red Dragon.

I assembled the base from some treasure pieces, including pewter Treasure Hoard II (02320) and resin Treasure Hoard Vignette (74016) as well as several loose bits, including an elephant from am old necklace is bought for the chain. I also used a piece of aquarium terrain for the rock formation. I did most of the sculpting using Super Sculpy, and I added modeling snow and rocks for texture. 

20180115_230901.jpg

20180115_230909.jpg

20180115_230914.jpg

20180115_230922.jpg

20180115_230934.jpg

• Like 12

I started with a base coat using black spray paint and started building up the layers on the dragon. Took me about 3 days off and on during my 10 hour shifts at the call center. I kept the head separate until everything was painted, but assembled everything else prior to painting. 

20180121_155218.jpg

20180121_155247.jpg

20180121_155303.jpg

20180121_155323.jpg

20180121_182104.jpg

20180122_110437.jpg

20180122_110454.jpg

• Like 13

I took a break from painting the dragon to turn one of the Bones 3 Pretty Deadly minis into a marble statue for his treasure hoard. I primarily used spray on black marbling and some white paint applications. 

20180122_155541.jpg

20180122_155550.jpg

20180124_125956.jpg

20180124_163301.jpg

20180124_163310.jpg

20180124_163320.jpg

20180124_163337.jpg

20180124_184207.jpg

• Like 14

I got the crazy idea after already spring and assembling the base to try my hands at rigging lights into the cave piece to make it glow. So, I picked up some string LEDs and did some drilling into the wood and fiddled with it before I started painting the pieces. The treasure was tedious. I painted the inside of the rock, where the lights would go, red and orange and have it a coat of gloss varnish. I also drilled some holes for the light and installed a magnet in the bottom to hold the battery pack. 

20180128_101455.jpg

20180128_101508.jpg

20180128_101514.jpg

20180128_101524.jpg

20180128_101532.jpg

20180128_103114.jpg

20180128_111911.jpg

20180128_111917.jpg

20180128_141536.jpg

20180128_144313.jpg

20180128_162312.jpg

20180128_180750.jpg

• Like 16

I can't but think that it looks like you are painting at work which is . . . jealousy inspiringly awesome!

Seriously though this looks great, I love the wings in particular. I keep putting off working on my dragons in large part because I'm scared of the scales and wings, but this gives me some ideas!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Gargs said:

I can't but think that it looks like you are painting at work which is . . . jealousy inspiringly awesome!

Seriously though this looks great, I love the wings in particular. I keep putting off working on my dragons in large part because I'm scared of the scales and wings, but this gives me some ideas!

Yeah, I get to paint at work. It's one of the few things that keeps me sane(-ish). I'm sad that I didn't get more pictures of the treasure pile before I assembled the whole thing. The dragon casts a big shadow. Hope to get pictures for a show off thread soon.

• Like 3

Awesome base!

I have T'Raukzul waiting....still intimidated by his size.

Looking froward to see this completed.

He looks vicious!

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Otyugh
      Today's mini is a blast from the past, Reaper's casting of the Heritage Red Dragon.

Because of his seemingly furry chest/stomach, he is called the hippie dragon.

He is one of many miniature purchases from the old Lone Star Comics. I raided the store for weird miniatures. The had a lot of bagged Reaper minis for sale.

• By Dr.Bedlam
      I saw this ad in Fantasy Modeling #5 back around '80 or '81 and immediately sent off for the Dragontooth catalog, and promptly bought the dragon. I think it cost something like $20, if you factor in the shipping. I knew when the box containing him arrived, because I think the box must have weighed twenty pounds.

He was about the size of my hand, five and a half inches from tabletop to wing tip, and weighed approximately fifty pounds. Solid lead. Eight parts; Two wings, torso, four legs, and the top of his head and upper jaw. Wings would NOT stay on with crazy glue, epoxy, solder, or Sovereign Glue.

My players must have fought that dragon three or four times in the three years we existed as a gaming group before we all went off to college and scattered to the four winds. One of the boys named him Skippy. As in, "Dragon? Oh, man, Skippy's gonna hit the table!"

There weren't a whole lot of dragons back then. Toy dragons may have existed, but we didn't have any clue where to find one. And metal dragons had begun to exist, but I lived in a little tiny Texas cow town in the middle of nowhere. For us, there was Skippy, and we loved him well.

So naturally, he was among the things my parents tossed out when I left for college. I have never seen another Dragontooth dragon like him. He was seventy pounds of solid lead, and probably illegal to sell, these days, but I'd buy another one in a minute.

This is my newest dragon. Arrived today. He's pretty, and I hear they have him at Wal Mart, now. He and his box of friends cost fifteen bucks.

And back in 1980, I'd have flapped my arms and flown to the moon by sheer force of personality if I thought it would have got me a dragon like this.

But then.... today... you can find dragons anywhere. I think Reaper makes one or two different dragons, don't they......?

Who was YOUR first dragon?
    • By Otyugh
      My Reaper habit started with a Friday night gaming session...

"Tom felt a breeze wafting up from the chamber beyond. For some reason the air was hot and heavy, even though he was walking along a passage deep in an abandoned mine."

"Ummmm. Sorry, but we have to stop here today." I did not have a dragon mini to use to harrass Tom. A salt shaker just does not have the same drama as slapping the correct monster mini down on the table. I also could not handle everyone laughing at my poor (ugly mishapen) solder dragon.

Time to take a trip to the old Lone Star Comics and see if they had a Dragon that I could afford.

As usual, walking into Lone Star was like entering Alladin's cave of treasures. Real Partha, Grenadier, Rafm, and more distinctively sparkled, beckoning, despite the cost. A Dragon was too far out of reach.

Back along the wall, there was something new. There were affordable minis on the back wall!

I was able to score a package of villagers, some weapons sprues, and a real Dragon mini.

Tom was promptly roasted to a medium rare, and eaten by the freshly painted red Dragon the next friday.

Don't laugh too hard, but this is the solder dragon in question. It is amazing what can be made with a soldering iron, a little flux, a bit of solder and a ton of patience. It did in a pinch, but was retired after the Reaper dragon made its appearance.

• By Choppertown
      Continuing to dig up my childhood minis... This crazy old dragon was done back in 1984, I basically dunked him in turquoise enamel.  While not sophisticated, the color was beautiful and it's one of my all time favorite sculpts so I left it intact and decided to try adding some details. Results below!

• By Minehermit
      I have wanted to get into painting for a long time and have watched days worth of videos on it. i think it shows in how my first minis came out.
      the first was a reaper kobold and he looks a bit sloppy. (on the card for the hobby holder i got because i could not find anything else to put him on for the pic lol)
      next was a blue kobold and a baby dragon, I was still working on how washes work with the blue kobold but the dragon came out better.

now the one i did today

I am pretty proud of him, for being my forth mini i think he looks really good. he is colored like a ring neck snake.
  • Who's Online   33 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)