Sign in to follow this  
Rob Dean

Vintage Minifig ME50 Goblins

cool! you got some facial definition out of these!  I have a few of them and the term "blank canvas" comes leaping to mind when i look at the face.  sort of a flat sheet with a pointy bit in the middle.  You did a good job with these

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

cool! you got some facial definition out of these!  I have a few of them and the term "blank canvas" comes leaping to mind when i look at the face.  sort of a flat sheet with a pointy bit in the middle.  You did a good job with these

Thanks. Their skin is done with the Reaper Olive Drab triad, which makes for easy repeatability. Given that my originals were done with enamels and dubious brushes back in the day, it’s been interesting to see how well these can look with modern techniques and tools. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Thanks. Their skin is done with the Reaper Olive Drab triad, which makes for easy repeatability. Given that my originals were done with enamels and dubious brushes back in the day, it’s been interesting to see how well these can look with modern techniques and tools. 

I think that is really part of the trick, the charm, the enchantment to these miniatures.  They are old figures from back in the day that lots of us know from our youth, and we painted them before we had the tools/knowledge/skill we do now.  Once we take these older figures and apply techniques and experience that we currently have, they really come our so nicely and they can be more fully appreciated. I really for example like the new figures Reaper is putting out that are "old school" inspired, but equally I'd love to see those old school miniatures see a renaissance as well.  We've got Michael Thomas over at classicminiatures.net who casts the old Heritage stuff as well as a number of other out of production figures.

• Like 1

Man, I do love seeing vintage miniatures being painted.  Those figs look just great.  And come to think of it, I think I have a few of those pieces in a box somewhere around here.

The Egg

Edited by Egg of Coot