So this has probably been asked, I've looked around the internet and can't really find any concrete answers. I have the W&N brush cleaner and restorer. I have some dying brushes. How do I use this stuff? Like how long do I need to soak the brushes? Do I even need to soak them, can I just dip it and leave it on for a while? If I have to leave it soaking how do I hold my brushes up without letting them rest on the tip of the brush? 

I have master's cleaner and I've used that pretty regularly but these brushes are too far gone for just that and since I have it I figure I might as well try it.

The instructions say up to 24 hours for dried acrylic.  I usually suspend my brushes by the handle using a clothes peg so the the ferule is just below the surface of the cleaner.  Afterwards I wash them thoroughly and then let them dry.  I use masters soap too.  I find it works very well with the sable brushes.  

Be super careful with this stuff.  It says non-toxic etc but it will dissolve many things.  The reason I haven't been posting much on this forum lately is that I spilled about 30 ml of this stuff on my painting desk last week.

My masonite desk protector started peeling apart after a couple of days.  Plastic miniature bases which got splashed became sticky and have not recovered after washing.  Fortunately I didn't hit any miniatures that were in progress.  Unfortunately, the handle of my favorite brush got some on it and just like it warns on the container, the paint on the handle softened and is now slightly gooey when touched.

On the upside, it has caused me to make a commitment to clearing my shelf of shame.  I don't really have a shelf, I usually just push unfinished miniatures further away on my desk.  There were about 50 miniatures in various states on my desk when I spilled this stuff.  

Yes it also caused the varnish to peel off the desk.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

18 hours ago, Geoff Davis said:

The instructions say up to 24 hours for dried acrylic.  I usually suspend my brushes by the handle using a clothes peg so the the ferule is just below the surface of the cleaner.  Afterwards I wash them thoroughly and then let them dry.  I use masters soap too.  I find it works very well with the sable brushes.  

Be super careful with this stuff.  It says non-toxic etc but it will dissolve many things.  The reason I haven't been posting much on this forum lately is that I spilled about 30 ml of this stuff on my painting desk last week.

My masonite desk protector started peeling apart after a couple of days.  Plastic miniature bases which got splashed became sticky and have not recovered after washing.  Fortunately I didn't hit any miniatures that were in progress.  Unfortunately, the handle of my favorite brush got some on it and just like it warns on the container, the paint on the handle softened and is now slightly gooey when touched.

On the upside, it has caused me to make a commitment to clearing my shelf of shame.  I don't really have a shelf, I usually just push unfinished miniatures further away on my desk.  There were about 50 miniatures in various states on my desk when I spilled this stuff.  

Yes it also caused the varnish to peel off the desk.

Thanks, I think this is mostly what I needed to know. Now to just find something that I can't melt with the stuff. Also, duly noted. I will do my best not to spill it on anything.

• Like 2

When I throughly clean my brushes I soak em in WnN but I use this to suspend them:

266x300.jpg

Inside the cup is a mesh screen (with its own handle) for to clean the paint off and let it settle to the bottom, away from the bristles. The handle is removable for storage or travel. Works great!! Cheap too. Amazon has it at various prices but most of them are under 10 bucks.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, haldir said:

When I throughly clean my brushes I soak em in WnN but I use this to suspend them:

266x300.jpg

Inside the cup is a mesh screen (with its own handle) for to clean the paint off and let it settle to the bottom, away from the bristles. The handle is removable for storage or travel. Works great!! Cheap too. Amazon has it at various prices but most of them are under 10 bucks.

I'm headed to Michael's today. Their website says they have them but if they don't I'll probably just order one. It's also like $10 there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SparrowMarie said:

I'm headed to Michael's today. Their website says they have them but if they don't I'll probably just order one. It's also like $10 there.

Remember to get a Michael's coupon if they have em!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use this stuff.  My method is to use a plastic hood string clasp I liberated from an old winter coat, which I put the brush handle into and then suspend over the rim of the restorer, making sure to keep the painted part of the handle above the ferrule out of the restorer (it will eat the paint off, and what's left might be gummy). 

As to how long, I can tell you that 24 hours is wayyyyy more than necessary and will likely do more harm than good.  I had very short brush-life until I realized this and since I stopped soaking them so long brush longevity has improved by a huge amount.  At most, 10 or 20 minutes should suffice. 

After soaking for about this long, take the brush out and very gently, starting from near the ferrule, use your fingernail to scrape gunk along the length of the bristles and out the tip.  You may want gloves, as it will get all over your fingers.  Do this a few times until gunk stops coming off.  Then dip the brush in your rinse cup and gently swirl it a little.  Take it out and lightly drag it backwards along some paper towel.  More gunk will come off here, mostly as fine particles.  Rinse and repeat until it stops. 

Having thusly cleaned the brush, you may optionally use some hair conditioner on it at this point (be sure to rinse out the conditioner before storage).  Whether you do or not, put that brush aside to dry out for at least 24 hours before use.  Remember when you go to use it again to dip it in water and give it a light drag before use.  If you don't leave it to sit after using restorer, any remaining restorer soaked into the brush will begin to work on your fresh paint and you'll get a lot of debris in your brushstrokes.  This looks like the brush is shedding, but it's actually small strings of paint.  I learned that the hard way, too. 

By doing the above I've had no issues, and even with my harsh treatment of brushes in use my high quality Kolinskys bounce back from the trauma every time.  If any part of the above isn't clear, ask and I'll try to explain it better.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3