Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Sadly I don't quite remember what paints were used, other than them being metallics... I suspect they might have been some of the Citadel paints I've picked up, since I wanted to try them out and see what my thoughts were on such paints. Done back in April, they've been sitting on the desk for, uhm, a while... >.>;;;;
They were fun little robots to paint....
Hi guys, back again after a long absence... again. I took a very long time to paint something that was supposed to be a speed paint. I was painting a Bones Finari and wasn't happy with the cast so I was just trying to get her done quick to get her off the shelf but then everything went wrong with the paint job and I stalled out for a long time. I'm not posting her because I wasn't happy but I've finally moved on. This is my Gnoll Warrior. I kind of like him. He is part of my new strategy to just paint and get used to the motions and not try to be perfect all the time. Trying to be perfect puts more minis on shelves of shame instead of in display cabinets. I thought his mane looked a lot like a mohawk so I decided that maybe he would dye it in the colours of his tribe or clan or war party or whatever. I thought it was neat. If I did it again I would maybe use more muted colours but this first time I was afraid maybe muted colours would fade out and go unnoticed. I was happy with the eye and jaws on his right side but not his left (which is why there are no good pictures of his left side ). But here he is, he's imperfect and I'm happy with him! Comments are welcome as always!
Once again my buddy with the minotaur character fixation asked me to find a minotaur for him that I can convert into a monk. Given that most are armed and armored ... I understood his dilemma.
Thrym's Table presents:
Spellcrow Minotaur as
Original marketing image; copyright Spellcrow Miniatures.
The first things that had to go were the axes. The hands were attached to axes on a separate sprue and made it easy to remove them. Next I drilled out the old handle and cleaned up the pins to the wrists.
Fairly easy so far. I did it during game night while playing Talisman. I was the Sprite.
Next I pared back the horns to create a pin and to create a better profile. The stock horns seemed a bit out of proportion to him. When I got home my original plan was to place pieces of mini cable ties to create a Karnak look for his fists. The cable tie I started with worked to a point but wouldn't lay flat enough to his hand. So time for idea #2, wire.
As you can see, Karnak has bands around his hands.
That worked well. That gave me the idea for a necklace or medallion swinging away from him.
Here he is...
Enjoy and stay tuned.
I finished this model right at the end of February, but I've been under the weather and it wasn't until today that I felt up to taking pictures. This was my first time chopping up the integral base of a bones mini and making a custom base and I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
I realized upon photographing him that I forgot to properly paint the armband on his left arm so I'll have to go back and do that. I might also repaint the knife/cleaver as steel. I thought it would look cool as copper like some kind of ceremonial knife, but I think it's a bit too much.
C&C welcome, thanks for looking!
Who's Online 32 Members, 1 Anonymous, 203 Guests (See full list)
- Chris Palmer
- Paradoxical Mouse
- Doug Sundseth
- Xiwo Xerase
- Disciple of Sakura
- Rob Dean
- Original Timmy