Master Series Complete Set #7 or Essentials Set

In my previous marriage I had the GW citadel paints for some metal miniatures I tried to paint and those pots dried up within a month. I never did much painting then and whatever I did have my ex most likely threw out.

But my current wife actually paints with me, and enjoys it. 

So I'm looking forward to receiving these paints next week as me and the wife spends nights painting miniatures.

And in 4 months we are moving to a new home and will even set-up a painting station

• Like 4
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's two things people do wrong with small paint pots... 

1. They wipe off excess paint on the rim of the pot...

2. They store the with the lid up.

The first guarrantees that there's dried paint there to foul up the seal.

And you need to turn them upside down after closing so that fresh paint seals the pot properly. If left the 'right way up' it's almost impossible to get it to reseal well enough to stop air getting in. (This trick also works with those little humbrol tins. My brother still use that c**p on model planes) This trick doesn't work with GW pots, of course, since you can't easily seal chicken netting...

Now, have you decided on brushes and brush cleaner?

Also, 'not going to buy many minis before bones 4'... 

Yeah, right....

Have you seen Dark Sword's Kritterkins or Oathsworn's Heroines in Sensible Shoes or Badgers & Burrows, Dark Fable's bunny Girls...

Feel free to stay away from the Aquisitions thread over in Off-topic, or the entire Kickstarter section. There's just so much tempting stuff out there...

• Like 1

Well, I will try to stay away from purchasing more miniatures between now and the arrival of the bones 4. Not a guarantee, but I will try to hold off until after June, until we move into the new home and I make a new painting station. 

I was looking at getting this for the desk

[link removed] 

But even if I did it would only hold 1/2 of all these paints I'm getting.

Edited by OneBoot
Removed commerce link
53 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

There's two things people do wrong with small paint pots... 

1. They wipe off excess paint on the rim of the pot...

2. They store the with the lid up.

3.  painting with the lid open.  

Fastest way to dry out your paint is to let it sit there with the lid off while you fiddle with details.  If you must use pots, put a small amount on a wet palette and close it up immediately. 

Reaper MSP will last a decade or more when cared for properly, if you don't use it up first.  Some of my paint is from 2004 when it was first introduced, and it is still fine.  That's not to say you won't have a bottle now and then that goes gummy or needs a few drops of distilled water to loosen it up.  

If you're only going to paint a little between now and delivery of Bones4, get one of the 3 sets you are considering, and wait to get the others. Less risk of it being mishandled in storage between now and then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, joepacelli said:

While I have a handful of smaller ones, and one big one Ma'al Drakar. I most likely will only purchase a few small ones between now and the release of the Bones 4. 

I've pretty much started painting cause I backed Bones 4 too and wanted to be able to paint all the minis I fell in love with. You may want to check out Ebay, there are a few Bones 3 core sets listed for ~150! That's what I did so I could have lots to practice on before getting, like, all of Bones 4. 

• Like 1

Actually since I was getting the great deal for everything for $550, I went and purchased it. It should come next week. Storage is not a problem. The problem will probably be the vast amount of color choices my wife will now have when she starts to paint Ma'al Drakar. 

• Like 4
13 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I agree on the drying out bit... Citadel paint pots are notorious for it, drying out sometimes in as little as six months.  The pot looks neat, but it isn't designed to seal properly, not to mention the fact that one can be easily tempted to use the "mini-palette" built into the flip top part of the lid. 

Yeah! I have a few Citadel paints (experimenting before I decided to just go all aboard the Reaper bandwagon), and 1, they seem terribly thick compared to Reaper paints, and 2 I have to double check every time to make sure the lid is actually sealed! It does this false click when you press down so it feels like its closed but really there is a giant cap! 

• Like 1

So I got shipping notice from UPS of a package being delivered this coming Monday. The strangest part about it since I purchased it from eBay is according to UPS it's coming from Reaper Miniatures in Denton, TX. So I was able to make a deal for both

Master Series complete Set #7 RPR09956;

09001-09270

Master Series Paints Essentials Set RPR09972

09001-09111

09401-09454

29801-29854 

But I removed the duplicate paints 09001-09111 that are also offered in the Master Series Paints Essentials Set

And I was able to get it all for $550 which is about 1.70 a bottle.

But I was shocked to see it shipped from Reapers Miniature itself.

But I'm totally looking forward to enjoying them all.

• Like 5