Jump to content

Hitting the big 40


talion78
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

We don't count in years past 20.  You know you've reached elder status when Dr. Pepper doesn't so much resemble flavour as it does oil of fiery burning.  For the moment, I can still taste it. 

Actually, when  Dr Pepper means a quick trip to the facilities.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Beagle said:

Hitting 40:

- Suddenly noticed that my knees could hurt as a result of sleeping

- An evening down the pub with mates required a table to sit at and departure just as the all-night crowd were arriving.

- Students became irritating

- Gardening was no longer irritating

 

That sounds like me at 23 or so.  Besides, a night at the pub is much better enjoyed sitting down, because trying to stand up while eating nachos is more of a "let's all bet how long it'll take for him to fall over because he lost his balance" for those watching.  Aka, spectator sport :p

 

On the plus side, as you get older you also wise up on alcohol consumption, and instead tend to drink to enjoy said beverage,instrad of just to get buzzed.  Never could understand the whole get stupidly drunk thing though. 

 

Gardening on the other hand, I always enjoyed even in my single digits.  It's one of the biggest things I don't like about living in an apartment, I can't have a garden! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't mind turning 40.  It meant that I was now running in the Masters category, and no longer running against a bunch of 18 year olds.  (Not that I am winning races anyway, but now I can look at them and say "Meh, not my age category.)

 

I still operate under the delusion that I am someday going to get everything painted, but that has nothing to do with age, and everything related to by desire to live forever or die trying.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, warlordgarou said:

I didn't mind turning 40.  It meant that I was now running in the Masters category, and no longer running against a bunch of 18 year olds.  (Not that I am winning races anyway, but now I can look at them and say "Meh, not my age category.)

Exactly.. it was like 'woohoo! Masters category!!'  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Beagle said:

Hitting 40:

- Suddenly noticed that my knees could hurt as a result of sleeping

- An evening down the pub with mates required a table to sit at and departure just as the all-night crowd were arriving.

- Students became irritating

- Gardening was no longer irritating

 

As a person with Brown Thumbs, gardening , or any other form of horticulture not involving cacti [who do best when just left alone], will never ever not be irritating.

GEM

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

 

We don't count in years past 20.  You know you've reached elder status when Dr. Pepper doesn't so much resemble flavour as it does oil of fiery burning.  For the moment, I can still taste it. 

Uhm, well past 50, steaming towards 60...

 

Ate a cup of pickled jalapenos last night.

 

My wife tells me I'm a mutant. ::P:

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

I turn 40 next month. Don’t feel that old and certainly don’t act my age!

As long as "not acting your age" means you are not acting mentally older than your chronological age you are doing it right.

That is, at least from my perspective, which is that of a healthy young man trapped in an old and increasingly creaky body.

GEM

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...