Progressing as a painter

Styrofoam

This is my progress.  On the left, is within the first month of learning how to paint.  The one on the right is from about 5 months later.  I wanted to see how far i've come.   And i want to go further.  Are there any tips on what i can do to be better?  Thank you everyone.

IMG_1270.thumb.JPG.9e564c72c0db3802b95edc11fc9c5b5d.JPG

Edited by Styrofoam
typo
  • Like 12

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Styrofoam said:

This is my progress.  ON the right, is within the first month of learning how to paint.  The one on the right is from about 5 months later.  I wanted to see how far i've come.   And i want to go further.  Are there any tips on what i can do to be better?  Thank you everyone.

IMG_1270.thumb.JPG.9e564c72c0db3802b95edc11fc9c5b5d.JPG

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on your first post!   I think you meant to say the one on the left is the first month... as you’ve got two “rights” now. :)

It looks like you’ve made a lot of progress.  My one tip to you is to increase your highlighting just a bit.  For example, your skin looks good, but I think just a shade lighter highlighting would improve it.  

• Like 5

the two things that stick out to me on the mini to the right is the bracer or whatever on the left arm, and the coil of whatever on the upper right arm. 

That coil is probably metal jewellery, so needs a bit of metal or something to make it shine. 

As for the bracer, what the?

honestly, it looks as if you just basecoated it, then ignored it until the rest of the mini was finished. 

I'd  love to have the talent you show on skin, but on that bracer(or whatever) you're no better than me!

Give it the same love as you gave to those straps in the front of his... kilt?

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

Browse the forum for more tips ( Painting and Advice thread) look at other people's WIP.

Make a WIP ( Work In Progress) thread of your own and people will give advice, tips and it is fun to see how someone paints.

We all learn from each other.

I agree about the bracer, it needs more work, but I guess you asked for help since you're not done yet.

You are improving!

It takes time and practice, but most important, HAVE FUN while doing it!

• Like 1

Highlight, or just add more contrast in general. Sometimes that means going deeper into the shadows with a dark color. What I am starting to notice is that my well contrasted pieces have enough contrast that I can see some definition on the figure when I walk into my painting room... and I am seeing them from a few feet away, and my lights are dim (one poor window for daylight in the room - the ottlight still off). That isn't to say I'll see every feature, but that in poor light at a moderate distance, they don't look flat. It takes a surprisingly large amount of contrast to do that. 

Have you explored using washes at all? They aren't the only technique to get shadowing done, but they can really help early on in giving shadows to vague areas (like the bracer). That, and you can be relatively sloppy with them compared to other methods. 

As the sparkly canine said, welcome! If you want some critique in general, post WIP threads and ask for help! 

• Like 5

Looking good!  You might dry brush the club to bring out the carving and seal with a matte varnish to kill the shine, if you want it that way.

What has helped me the most (and I consider myself low to mediocre tabletop at best) was looking at some of the amazing artists on this site and unabashedly plagiarizing.  Figure out how others are doing what you like and paint, paint, paint.

Good paintin

• Like 2

I can't add anything that hasn't been said already, but the one bit of advice that has helped me most is the simplest: Keep Painting. 

I am no master, but I think I have improved significantly since I began and I think each mini I have painted has taught me lessons about what I should or shouldn't do.  Every mistake, which I always agonize over, is a lesson to learn from.  Keep up the great work! 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

I can't add anything that hasn't been said already, but the one bit of advice that has helped me most is the simplest: Keep Painting. 

I am no master, but I think I have improved significantly since I began and I think each mini I have painted has taught me lessons about what I should or shouldn't do.  Every mistake, which I always agonize over, is a lesson to learn from.  Keep up the great work! 

I'm quoting Baldur because I don't think it can be said enough. 

I'd also add "Paint for yourself".   By that I mean, worry more about if you're enjoying yourself than whether or not you're painting to a given skill level. You're less likely to paint, or keep on painting if you're always stressing out about how each piece comes out.  Realize that sometimes you just won't be in the mood to paint a piece to your highest level, or that you'll just want to get a piece done so you can move on to something else.  That is OK.   The important part is that you're painting. 

• Like 5

Welcome!

I can easily see where your brush control has gotten better, and you're refining the skill of shading. I think you've already understood the key ingredient to painting better - time and practice.

However, if you're looking for a few points to challenge yourself with, I can drop a few of my general observations. Please do keep in mind that this is only representative of how I enjoy painting - your own style may or may not agree. Additionally, the only 'right' way to paint a miniature is the one you enjoy.

1. Go bigger/deeper/higher. I see you've gotten better with this, but I think you could push to have darker darks and lighter lights. The contrast between the two on the same model really give it the illusion of depth beyond the properties of the sculpt. For instance, your recent giant's body is overall very dark, but you've picked out good places to start highlighting. With more contrast between your darkest dark and highest high, you would really pop the areas that my eyes should see as sticking up from the model.

2. Layer more. Start with 3 layers for every component of the model (shadow, mid, and highlight.) Some painters work from shadow to mid to highlight. Some paint mid, then shadow, then highlight. Some people do something entirely different, I'm sure. Find what works best for you. Add layers depending on what the component needs and the overall effect you're looking for. I'm going back to the giant's body as I would consider it one of the 2 or 3 major elements of this model - Maybe mix 2 layers on either side of your midtone going down into your shadow and up into highlight. 

3. Work on blending. All the layers and all the contrast in the world are going to cause a very disconcerting effect if they are plopped down in isolation from each other. The blend is the tricky part and it's one I am actively challenging myself to do better. I've currently reduced it to:

-Thinned paints in many transparent layers

-Brush strokes that feather and draw the paint where you want it

-Irregular transitions between layers that mimic the diffusion of light upon a natural surface

-Glazing 7:1 water:paint mixes over areas with abrupt transitions 'normalizing' it towards a single color, but still preserving the gradation. I'm still not entirely decided if I'm doing this because I'm not following my own above advice as closely as I should, or if it's a legitimate complimentary technique. A little of both?

Hopefully this helps. Put in the time. Challenge yourself. Most importantly, enjoy what you do. You're off to a great start.

• Like 4