Sign in to follow this  
ced1106

Confrontation: Classic

If they were planning to produce them using injection molding, they would have to scan a 'master' and use CNC machines to carve out the molds. 

It's possible then to fix casting errors in that 'master' by editing the object file before starting the milling operation. 

But yeah, having the masters is a big advantage, particularly if the castings they had found had been worked on. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

If they were planning to produce them using injection molding, they would have to scan a 'master' and use CNC machines to carve out the molds. 

It's possible then to fix casting errors in that 'master' by editing the object file before starting the milling operation. 

But yeah, having the masters is a big advantage, particularly if the castings they had found had been worked on. 

True -  but that rework also costs money.  I don't know how much money a good master can save, but given their track record so far, I'm guessing that no one at SD knows either. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, odinsgrandson said:

really don't understand why they'd be selling the real masters like that in any case.  It just doesn't make any sense to me.

It doesn't change the fact that their parent company was "selling" the masters they "weren't going to use" for around $700-$7000 each on their separate website during the campaign to raise extra funds.

• Like 2

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sansdetour/confrontation-classic-the-legendary-skirmish-game/posts/2653364?fbclid=IwAR2kCaB0h7v20ibyJulocAdK6kRFP46EsyrZQ0UlEELsZcLH11Y60FcWy44

"Trying to be everywhere meant we were getting nowhere. This is why we made the following announcement in September: Sans-Détour will reduce their book publishing activity in order to focus its energy and resources on the Confrontation project."

well that and you've not paid companies whose work you've being translating, and now that's out in the open your not going to get as much other chances to do the same to others

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orlando_the_Technicoloured said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sansdetour/confrontation-classic-the-legendary-skirmish-game/posts/2653364?fbclid=IwAR2kCaB0h7v20ibyJulocAdK6kRFP46EsyrZQ0UlEELsZcLH11Y60FcWy44

"Trying to be everywhere meant we were getting nowhere. This is why we made the following announcement in September: Sans-Détour will reduce their book publishing activity in order to focus its energy and resources on the Confrontation project."

well that and you've not paid companies whose work you've being translating, and now that's out in the open your not going to get as much other chances to do the same to others

Don't forget the "Choose Cthulhu" Kickstarter campaign that got shut down for copyright reasons.  After that, they decided that the best thing for their company and their backers was to abandon the print projects that they can't do anymore anyway.  That allows them to focus on Confrontation.

But the Confrontation royalties are being paid to a guy who works at Sans Detour, so they probably won't be forgetting to pay them like they did with Chaosium.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 3

The tone of that update came across to me like a teenager explaining to his teacher why he didn't have his homework done and promising he would do it soon, while trying not to whine "it's too hard" or admit that he'd rather play video games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odinsgrandson said:

Don't forget the "Choose Cthulhu" Kickstarter campaign that got shut down for copyright reasons.  After that, they decided that the best thing for their company and their backers was to abandon the print projects that they can't do anymore anyway.  That allows them to focus on Confrontation.

Interesting. I met the Choose Cthulu guys at Fighting Fantasy Fest in London back in August and they had a lot of printed books with them. Not one mention of Sans Detour having anything to do with it. Nobody even mentioned a kickstarter. What was the deal? Sans Detour running a kickstarter to publish French language editions? The Choose Cthulu running a campaign and Sans Detour was going to be their publisher?

I was considering picking up a few of the books but now it sounds like I need more information.

San Detours used to do French translations for RPGs & games like Call of Cthulhu licenced from Chaosium, and a bunch of Cthulhu Wars stuff licenced from Petersen Games but they've not been paying all (any?) of the royalties for doing so for a number of years, so those licences have been pulled

• Like 1

Oh I'm aware of that. As far as I know the Choose Cthulu books have nothing to do with Chaosium (although I wouldn't be surprised if Chaosium sued them out of existence either). I mean those scum at Chaosium are the reason we're not allowed to buy Hero Quest anymore because they wanted to use the name for Runequest then never used it.

What's odd is that you can ditch the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu mechanics (which aren't any good, imo), replace them with your own, and there's no way Chaosium can sue you *if* you stick to so-called public domain works (it's still murky, but no one's been sued yet). Chaosium has *some* Cthulhu IP, such as its Yellow Sign picture, but several Cthulhu RPGs and games have been released without, AFAIK, Chaosium's permission (eg. Trail of Cthulhu). And, of course, Chaosium already knows that they wouldn't be able to get any money from Sans Detour, especially because they've been already trying to do so with their CoC licensed product.

ObSnark: Maybe SD hasn't paid their printers, either. <_<

and the groundwork for not delivering is proceeding as foreseen:

(cut from one of the recent forum posts at dakka. Note there has been no KS update since October 15th.)

"

It's pretty clear with this announcement on their Facebook page that refunds are getting out the question...

Here is the translation in english for those who don't speak french :

"Hello everyone,

At the end of the year, we are taking stock of our various projects.

Sans Détour is going through a very difficult period. Our company is trying to restructure and launch its activity.

The first actions will be to stop direct selling and the immediate closure of our Villeurbanne depot. In the future, our logistics will be entirely outsourced.

You have until December 31 to place orders on our online site. We continue to deliver all orders.

After this date, we will remove most titles from the catalog.

Regarding our other licenses and pending files, end year holidays and strikes do not allow us to advance as quickly as we wish. Our projects are idling, but not abandoned. Many discussions are underway for the relaunch of Sans Détour.

The offices will be closed from December 23 to January 6.

We will meet you after the holidays and our move for more information.

We wish you a very happy holiday season.

Sans Détour""

• Sad 2

On 12/27/2019 at 2:25 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

This word "sans" ... I don't think it means what they think it means.

It means without.

Ironically while they continue to "struggle" Legends of Signum seem to be quietly going from strength to strength.

• Like 2