Confrontation: Classic

ced1106

I've only ever seen one product using the word 'sans' and being able to prove it. 

And that's the 'Sans Rival' glass chimney on my heirloom oil lamp. 

It really IS 20 - 30% better than regular glass chimneys. 

Of course, I believe those chimneys were really manufactured by a German company...   

(A US company is now making new glass chimneys based on a complete example fround in a cabin here in Norway... )

I can't wait for Sans Detour to disappear so that Cadwallon can start pushing their recasts again...  

And the Signum gang just released new minis again... 

• Like 3

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

It means without.

Ironically while they continue to "struggle" Legends of Signum seem to be quietly going from strength to strength.

Yeah. Signum has a shady foundation for their company and game, but the problem was all about owning the rights.  They have experience with production logistics, so they brought in enough money to pay for their delivery.

Seriously, I'm still not totally sure whether it is possible for them to be as ignorant of production logistics as they seem to claim.

*Although the fact that Sans Detour doesn't own the Confrontation means that "Stellar" -a "completely different company" will continue preventing Signum from doing their recasts.

I'm pretty sure that avenue of Confrontation recasting is never coming back.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Strange, that. Wasn't it Sans Detour who sold off the old masters some time ago?

Yeah.  I wonder who bought them.  I mean, it might have been a collector, or someone who wanted to use the production masters for, you know, casting.

(CMON still has a set of masters from back when they were trying to make Confrontation Phoenix happen).

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:46 PM, Gadgetman! said:

Strange, that. Wasn't it Sans Detour who sold off the old masters some time ago?

Yep although I don't know how many they sold at $700 each (with no production rights).

Signum has a shady foundation for their company and game, but the problem was all about owning the rights. 

Yep. Really shady. But they do seem to be trying their hardest to distance themselves from that and turn things around.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

You clearly didn't play dwarfs did you? Normally the people who say they loved the old Confrontation models all played elves, Wulfen, Alahan, Akylania or Dirz.

I never played actually.  Only collected some of the models I really liked (Dirz and the elementals, whoever they fall under).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dan d'Lyon said:

I love the old models too.  Including the dwarfs.  No, they didn't play so well, but that takes nothing away from the sculpts themselves.

That's putting it politely. The dwarfs were bottom tier. Practically unplayable. They only ever stood a fair chance if they played against goblins (who were also bottom tier). Unfortunately the game did suffer from faction tiers where any match up featuring a top tier and a bottom tier army wasn't worth playing. It was literally that one sided. Playing a mid tier faction against a non mid tier faction would still result in a rather one sided match up but at least the underdog would stand a chance.

Unfortunately back in the day my gaming club all decided to play something I didn't fancy getting into (some small scale sci fi skirmish) so I got stuck for 8 months playing Confrontation against top tier only factions with my dwarven force. It was a very depressing and frustrating lesson in a lot of the major balance issues within the system. The problem was that the dwarfs had lower initiative than a zombie had the enemy didn't need to hurt them to cripple them in combat, merely hit them with non damaging attacks. From there is was just a downward slope that consisted of spending 60-90 minutes being a punching bag that could not strike back. The -1 modifier for receiving a non damaging blow pushed their attack and defence stats down so low that they simply couldn't hit back. The game's designers "balanced" this by giving them orc and goblin style massive damage ratings (which they could never inflict because they could never hit anything) and lots of greenskin style "but you could roll a 6!" mechanics. Basically it wasn't playing dwarfs. It was playing orcs and goblins in a badly sculpted dwarf suit. One where you had to greenstuff on your own moustaches because they couldn't be bothered to sculpt them (or because they wanted the dwarfs to look like Pac Man with a little baby's body stuck on the bottom and a rubbish strap on fake beard).

I did manage some quite pretty paint jobs on them 'though. I might upload a few pictures later if anyone's interested.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Update:

http://opengazettes.com/gazette_notices/395547292

The game designer for Confrontation Resurrection is no longer working for Sans Detour.  Playtesting the new edition has stopped.

At this point, most of the backers are giving up on ever seeing their pledges.  I'm kind of impressed at how little gloating there has been from the people who were warning about the project from the start.