Confrontation: Classic

ced1106

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

299 "starting" pledge? No, thanks. Being forced to get all the factions? No, thanks. No clear pictures of the minis I'll be getting? No, thanks ... Some companies make it easy for me to resist, despite being generally interested in their product.

And that’s in Euros. Going to be much larger numbers in just about every other currency. Far too much for me. Then again, the factions I might be interested in don’t seem to be part of the main set (or even offered at all). <_< 

Faction boxes are the norm for most Kickstarters these days, aren’t they?

19 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

299 "starting" pledge? No, thanks. Being forced to get all the factions? No, thanks. No clear pictures of the minis I'll be getting? No, thanks ... Some companies make it easy for me to resist, despite being generally interested in their product.

Yep.  This was an easy No, even given my interest in the classic models.

Looking at the English used in all their facebook stuff it's understandable, but pretty awkward, which doesn't bode too well for the translation of the game (one of confrontations original problems) and may explain in part their lack of response to the English questions they've been asked. I get the impression they're more forthcoming in French (but then I don't speak it so it's not much use to me)

I've seen it said that they're a behind the French language versions of Call of Cthulhu, Achtung Cthulhu, and several other roleplaying games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Maybe I'm blind ... but can anybody find the fact that the miniatures will be plastic on the main page of the project? I can see it in the FAQ, but not on the main page.

And: Have they mentioned what kind of plastic we are talking about? HIPS plastic like GW? Boardgame plastic?

No, and no. But they wrote in the comment section that they will post information about the material at one point. So stay tuned, I suppose. I hope they do add some more add-ons, though, as I could be persuaded to add for a small box or even two. But this huge deal is just too expensive for the lack of information they are giving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Maybe I'm blind ... but can anybody find the fact that the miniatures will be plastic on the main page of the project? I can see it in the FAQ, but not on the main page.

And: Have they mentioned what kind of plastic we are talking about? HIPS plastic like GW? Boardgame plastic?

There's zero chance that (with the money they're asking for) that they can afford to scan and break up the sculpts sufficiently for HIPS (it's even more different sculpts than Kingdom Death's first KS and we know how long and how much cash that took)

So if it's plastic it's something that can handle undercuts and that means PVC, but whether that's melty looking boardgame plastic, bones, or later CMON Black Plague/Wrath of Kings quality that's the question and that's down to who is scanning the masters, how much time and effort is spent on optimising the digital files and resculpting stuff that's too shallow on the originals, who's making the mould and who's casting them

If they're using the place that CMON uses (and can pay for digital tidy up where needed) the stuff could be decent,

but if they end up with Panda or the place Cthulhu Wars 2.0 was done at (both of which produced good large sculpts) i'd be wary as the 'human' sized stuff wasn't as sharp as i'd want for a purely minis game and a lot of the confrontation stuff is even smaller

and if they're going with a less experienced place i'd worry a lot

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Initially, I had a lot of interest about this game. After years of supporting various project on KS, something do not sound right. They are not able to specify what material they used and not even the name of any specific manufacturer. The fine details of the old metal figures cannot be easily duplicated by computer scan and this raises a lot of concerns from various sculptors as posted in various forums. It also does not make any sense why it is a all or none package. I cannot come up with a reason why they cannot offer different pledges such as single fraction or rule book only. How many single players will need that many miniatures at one time? At such a high price, most if not all developers will show at least some prototypes but not this KS.

• Like 5

Wow, just wow...

Someone over on another forum asked them something about using Rackhams old photos to show off the minis and not their own. Apparently their reply was 'Did Rackham ever tell people their photos were of professionally painting resin minis and not the metal ones they sold.'

I'm going to be seriously amazed if this one actually delivers anything let alone decent minis.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2