Confrontation: Classic

ced1106

2 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Wow, just wow...

Someone over on another forum asked them something about using Rackhams old photos to show off the minis and not their own. Apparently their reply was 'Did Rackham ever tell people their photos were of professionally painting resin minis and not the metal ones they sold.'

I'm going to be seriously amazed if this one actually delivers anything let alone decent minis.

My word, bad-mouthing the people whose IP you are using, it doesn't get much nastier than that.

Having had a quick look at the kickstarter and manufacturer  I wouldn't touch this with 2 barge-poles tied end to end.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 5

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Wow, just wow...

Someone over on another forum asked them something about using Rackhams old photos to show off the minis and not their own. Apparently their reply was 'Did Rackham ever tell people their photos were of professionally painting resin minis and not the metal ones they sold.'

I'm going to be seriously amazed if this one actually delivers anything let alone decent minis.

It was deceptive when rackham did it.

It is even more deceptive the way these guys are doing it

• Like 3

Lemure posted this reply on Dakka : ""Well in fact it's how is working the whole industry. .... Basicaly the whole industry is lying. Do all the other editors tell they are showing resin casted minis ? (I think you know the anwser)" "

Yeah, I think I know the answer. You're not getting $370 plus shipping outta me, that's the answer! 

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/540/717182.page

• Like 7

4 hours ago, aku-chan said:

This KS is supposed to produce plastic minis. At least, as far as we can tell. This statement almost, but not quite, implies otherwise. A not-careful reader may be “confused”.

47 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

It was deceptive when rackham did it.

It is even more deceptive the way these guys are doing it

Agreed. While there is always a loss of quality when comparing resin to, well, just about everything else, it is still far less pronounced when compared to metal as opposed to board

game piece plastic/PVC/etc. plastic. I can’t shake the sneaking suspicion that the creators are either hoping backers won’t know the difference, or that the creators themselves don’t know the difference.

And honestly, I’m not sure which of those possibilities is more troubling.

• Like 4

Thanks to Fenriswolf on Dakka. Ludik Bazar and Sans Detour are owned by Piotr Borowski. The two companies are at the same address. As mentioned in the KS, their experience is in publishing, primarly RPGs.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/540/717182.page#9939004

"Glad people were able to figure out that Ludikbazar is connected, as they've been having financial problems for quite some time."

29th March, 2018 
Hello everyone, 

Here again is the opportunity to communicate to you, but not with good news. 

First of all, I would like to thank all those who sent us messages of support and took part in the destocking operation last week, and also sorry for the pre-order mess. 

Things have rushed since and our difficulties have not stopped, quite the contrary. 

From the beginning I made the choice to communicate as transparently as possible about our difficulties and despite the consequences that it may have had I always think that we were right to do, a TPE remains a human adventure and that- It lasted for fifteen years, whether for me or Cédric de ludibay. You have been more than 100,000 to order on our sites from the beginning and even more on the marketplaces, we have sold millions of games and processed up to 20 000 orders per month, it's not nothing and we are very proud. 

We are doing a destocking operation, it will probably be the last we do, this operation will last until stocks are exhausted. 

At this point we arrive at the end of the month and have to deal with our most urgent regulations. 

It is with a heavy heart that I think we have arrived at the end of this adventure, sadly because we have identified a lot of growth drivers and a new economic model that has shown great results, but without funding or sufficient resources we do not could put it in place. 

We envisage the sale of our websites and our assets, we invite all those interested in a resumption of the activity whether by a direct or community approach to contact me on [email protected], all solutions are possible even the resale of a single site. 

In the meantime take advantage of our latest offers and products that we have, we may put some products on sale as and when our inventory. We hope to be able to ship the latest orders on hold in order to have a situation as clean and simple as possible, as well as disable the virtual products remaining on our site. 

We will continue to be active and look forward to the opportunity of either a buyer or the event we talked to you a few days ago.

"They had been talking about their cash flow and business problems for quite a while, and their facebook page does seem to have a fair few complaints about orders not being fulfilled. I am even more concerned about this than I was before."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

While having a businiess that generates low sales isn't a problem in my books, as long as they take care of the paying customers, so there isn't another on those "New Wave" and "Maelstrom" scams. But the "fair few complaints" is raising questions, especially if those "fair few" are actually substantial. But apart from their sister company having financial issues, there were enough red flags for my liking, anyway. I might still pledge for a box or two, but I'll have to wait to see what is on offer by the end of the project, and what they have to say about the material/production of things.

• Like 3

More news on the plastics. It's a combination of PVC and ABS. http://www.sans-detour.com/public/Aarklash Post/Aarklash Post %239 EN.pdf

But an odd mention in the PDF is that they're saving money since the sculpts have been paid for. Well, when you have this many plastic parts, them plastic molds won't be cheap. How much are sculptors paid for a metal figure? Surely it's much less than the 10K+ molds these plastic miniatures will cost??

13 minutes ago, ced1106 said:

More news on the plastics. It's a combination of PVC and ABS. http://www.sans-detour.com/public/Aarklash Post/Aarklash Post %239 EN.pdf

But an odd mention in the PDF is that they're saving money since the sculpts have been paid for. Well, when you have this many plastic parts, them plastic molds won't be cheap. How much are sculptors paid for a metal figure? Surely it's much less than the 10K+ molds these plastic miniatures will cost??

From what I gather, sculpts cost anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to somewhere approaching $2k if you want someone like Tom Meier or Julie Guthrie. 

Still far less than the “more than a car” cost of a single steel injection mold.

Since most of the ex-Rackham sculptors are 'names' in the industry you'd probably be looking at at least $750-1000 per sculpt if they were having to pay for them, which at around 200 individual pieces would be a huge cost

I'm still not convinced they've got enough money to pay for all the moulds they'll need, but at least it sounds like they're talking to the right factories about production (although there can end up being a big difference between and informal, can you do X for us, and a final signed contract where prices tend to go up and time frames slip a fair bit)

• Like 2

Disturbingly these people were responsible for the Alkemy miniatures. Even more disturbingly they think the Alkemy miniatures were really good. I know the studio photos made them look good but the actual figures were so bad I never bothered to paint them.

I hope they do much better with these Confrontation re-releases. Seriously. I do. There's a lot of Confrontation fans who really want this to work so I hope it works out well for them. I'm just not sure I need to be involved yet. I've still got most of the old Dwarfs of Tir Na Bor in metal. I even painted  afair few of them. greenstuffed on moustaches as well because, without them, they just looked like Pac Man wearing a really bad fake beard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3