MissMelons

Ysera Dragon Bust

I really like to colors, shading on the horns, and highlights throughout.

I have mixed emotions on the eyes though.  They both look like eyes, and not like eyes at the same time.  It's weirding me out in a good sort of way because I can't figure it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful painting. 

I see the issue people are having with the eyes:  without an appreciable pupil, it is a little strange.

Cataracts or blindsight would explain it away, but it is what it is.

Have you thought of a more fantastic pupil option?  Hourglass perhaps?

Or is this beauty Done! Done?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Clearman said:

I really like to colors, shading on the horns, and highlights throughout.

I have mixed emotions on the eyes though.  They both look like eyes, and not like eyes at the same time.  It's weirding me out in a good sort of way because I can't figure it out.

The eyes are intended to be a bit unsettling and other worldly. Ysera is based on World of Warcraft Ysera that is known as the Dreamer. Her eyes are typically supposed to glow blue but I wanted to try something new with her eyes. Her full form:

Ysera_BotA.thumb.jpg.ee4764076e733594eaf929f0ed7d2155.jpg

2 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Beautiful painting. 

I see the issue people are having with the eyes:  without an appreciable pupil, it is a little strange.

Cataracts or blindsight would explain it away, but it is what it is.

Have you thought of a more fantastic pupil option?  Hourglass perhaps?

Or is this beauty Done! Done?

I'd call her done until I practice sculpting her jewelry! The eyes I struggled with a lot because I wanted to do something different but still have her recognisable as Ysera. I may brighten or darken the contrast a bit more but ultimately, no other design changes would be applied.

I'm glad you all like her though! I'm definitely in love with this bust!

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 5

Fantastic!

The colors are beautiful and I also really like the way you did the eyes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MissMelons said:

The eyes are intended to be a bit unsettling and other worldly. Ysera is based on World of Warcraft Ysera that is known as the Dreamer. Her eyes are typically supposed to glow blue but I wanted to try something new with her eyes.

And this makes total sense.  I've noticed over course of the day that I've just kept staring at this.  So regardless of whether I'm weirded out or not, this is a great art.  I would love nothing more than to have someone so entranced by something I've painted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kangaroorex
      I am taking am attempt at Ral Partha's Ghost dragon.  The box art does him in white but I wanted something different. I wanted to play with color making him red from the top down, blue from the bottom up but making the transition acceptably smooth when liked at from the side..Ill say up front this is not the easiest dragon to work with.  Have I gone wrong?  I would like some opinions on the roughed out paint scheme as well as some suggestions for the eye and mouth color.  Originally I was considering him for a playful ghost but more and more he is looking like more nightmare than daydream 

And sorry for the pictures, I just snapped them off my (rather messy) paint station

From the side:

Top down

Bottom up

• By Zethia
      Now that my Bones 4 order is here, my backwards brain decided it's finally time to paint the fire dragon I've had in my box of shame for a year and a half! I don't think I can claim that I'm "new to painting" anymore, but this is my first dragon and by far the biggest mini I've attempted thus far. In order to actually paint more things I like instead of saving them until I've practiced or become good enough to attempt them, I'm trying to adopt the mentality of trying at least one new technique with every mini I paint. Hopefully this will get me out of my comfort zone and into some new styles and skills. 

The focus of this guy is going to be blending, both wet and feathering. I'm still getting used to the process of documenting my WIPs, so if anybody has suggestions or requests (pics of my working palette, color recipes, what have you) please let me know. Lots of pics beyond the spoiler! 

• By Ludo
      To help alleviate the last minute rush order or trying to have them shipped to the hotel, I'm reminding people that personalized badge ribbons are a thing.

Because of forum rules we can't post a link to where to order them but if you post here, a certain @ub3r_n3rd fairy may PM you details.

The standard size that Reaper makes their ribbons is: Personalized Badge Ribbon 1-5/8"H x 3-1/2"W

FAQ
      What are the ribbons for?!
      Reaper gives out ribbons for various tasks like joining a faction, taking a class, spending a LOT of money in the Reaper Booth. Some are known, some are secret.
      Individuals also have their own ribbons made and have their own criteria for earning them. 
      In the past there has been a prize for longest chain (without duplicates) but this is subject to the whims of Reaper.

Can I make my own ribbons?
      Absolutely. Anyone can have their own ribbon. Come up with fun (family appropriate) phrase and a task that you will have the receiver perform (again, family appropriate) then contact a ribbon company to have them printed.

How many ribbons should I bring?
      If this is your first time giving out ribbons, 100 should be plenty. If you are teaching a class, running a game or a vendor, you probably want more as you will be interacting with more people.

Is there a list of all the Ribbons and how to get them?
      Short answer, No.
      Part of the fun is talking to people to learn how they got a particular ribbon. When the con starts, I'll probably update this post with a list of known ribbons. like the ones Reaper gives out or ones individuals want to share. (Please don't share the how to unless you have the OK from the creator) 

Not even one spoiler?
      Ok, if you want to get the "Ludo, Friend" ribbon, you have to bring Ludo a small rock. (Rocks from the hotel decor will not be accepted.) Bonus points will be awarded on how fancy the rock is. 

• By peepster1976
      WiP on this too cute baby dragon from bones 4. One of the reasons for my to back. The kids each pick one, and choose their own coulor. The dragon fly is magnetized, and i'm gonna put more magnetes on some other dragons so the dragon fly can hope from 1 to an other baby dragon.
      ... keep u posted.
      grtzzz Peepster

• By HolkDiggity
      Hey, all! This year, I'm taking part in as many parts of ReaperCon's MSPOpen that I can while still narrowly holding on to my sanity. The first of these is a small diorama, (my first ever,) for Bombshell Miniatures.

Since this is my first, I've decided to go with a relatively simple story: While venturing along an escarpment, a heavy-armored priestess is waylaid by a spinning, blade wielding half-orc. I began by cutting some foam to build up the earth behind the cliff face, and then used some plaster molds to cast the face and the large rock buried in the ground. Next, I covered everything with Vallejo's White Pumice and Wet Ground pastes, and then added additional stones. Once this was dry, I primed the whole thing in white.

Once the primer was dry, I used a mix of Reaper acrylics and GW washes to paint the base. I didn't go overboard on the dirt, since most of it will be covered by grass and other detritus. For the stone, I made sure to use a healthy mix of greys, greens, oranges, browns, purples. I then lightly dry brushed the stone in sandy tan and again in tan closer to white. Once the paint was dry, I sealed the base in anticipation of the next phase.

• Who's Online   39 Members, 5 Anonymous, 98 Guests (See full list)