Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
It's the weekend and you know what time it is!
Got a terrifying little foursome going here this time. Attempted a few new things that have been given to me as feedback over the last few weeks, so thought it was a good time to put them to use.
* Sticking to a simple color scheme for the skin - trying to only use two tones and building up the colors. Win - kind of. More on that to come.
* Making the chest area stand out from the rest of the skin I thank made for a fun touch. Layering was done well, but learned a lot in doing it that next time could be easier.
* Eyes. HOLY SMOKES! I'm so happy with the eyes. I did a blacked out eye area, filled in the round white, then used a black to dot in the center. Was a shaking mess doing it? You bet I was, but the outcome was worth it. Each of them have eyes I'm very happy with.
* 2 of them have a burnt umber ink wash 4:1 flow improver to DR Ink. The wash went on well and settled into the seems, but I think there's still something I'm missing. Had to go back with another coat and hit just the cracks for deeper color. The other 2 were done with a diluted MSP Brown Liner. The Brown Liner was the better of the two to really draw out the shadows, but still something to be desired. However, both of these methods worked better than a GW wash that usually just dirties them up.
* Horns were pretty good prior to the wash I gave them in a transition from dark rust to a bone white. I thought the ridges needed more depth so I washed it with that brown liner. They dont' look bad, but they don't look as good as I hoped. The win was learning this brown liner wash.
* I tried washing over the leather colored kilt with a black wash. Big miss! Messy, wrong tone, and ruined it. Had to do it again.
* Tried a red color for the waist cloth (same red you see on the eye-patched minitaur on his wrist bands) and it was too similar in color. I was aiming for brighter colors to break up the model. I don't think it worked. Did it over again with MSP Leather.
* I hate the fabrics on their kilts. None of them came out as I hoped. Only one with decent turn out was the eye-patched guy with his kilt-o-faces.
* Washes ended up heavy and very, very, very glossy. So glossy in fact, I couldn't even tell if they were dry or just glossy. Using flow improver on top of an ink is basically like making it glass. Good to know, but not desired look.
* The swords and metal overall wasn't ideal. Kind of dark for what I wanted. I chickened out on the NMM. Again.
I'm happy to have these little guys done and don't think they are bad. Just think they could have been better. Getting to understand the washes, glossiness, what matte cote will do it after, and the eyes - oh those eyes, this was all a project worth doing even if it wasn't my ideal turnout. Here they are.
As always send me any feedback you got.
Hello to all you bovine aficionados!
So a while back ago I did a normal minotaur, Greek-type mythological beast with an axe on two legs. This one is a little different, it's a Shadowrun Minotaur which has a bull's body and a "primate" face. I think Jim Johnson sculpted it back in the nineties, as usual forgot to check for a date on the bottom. Pretty straight forwards colors, and it's actually kind of a big and heavy model. Put him on an oval base because there was no way he was going to fit on a normal size circle one:
Anyhoos, hope you guys all enjoy him!
So I think this Minotaur may have been originally sculpted by Julie Guthrie, but likewise it might have been Dennis Mize because it's part of those Ral Partha resculpts that were won't with some of the Citadel miniatures back then. Anyhoos, fun figure, and didn't take too long to paint. It's my first minotaur, I must admit!
Once again my buddy with the minotaur character fixation asked me to find a minotaur for him that I can convert into a monk. Given that most are armed and armored ... I understood his dilemma.
Thrym's Table presents:
Spellcrow Minotaur as
Original marketing image; copyright Spellcrow Miniatures.
The first things that had to go were the axes. The hands were attached to axes on a separate sprue and made it easy to remove them. Next I drilled out the old handle and cleaned up the pins to the wrists.
Fairly easy so far. I did it during game night while playing Talisman. I was the Sprite.
Next I pared back the horns to create a pin and to create a better profile. The stock horns seemed a bit out of proportion to him. When I got home my original plan was to place pieces of mini cable ties to create a Karnak look for his fists. The cable tie I started with worked to a point but wouldn't lay flat enough to his hand. So time for idea #2, wire.
As you can see, Karnak has bands around his hands.
That worked well. That gave me the idea for a necklace or medallion swinging away from him.
Here he is...
Enjoy and stay tuned.
I finished this model right at the end of February, but I've been under the weather and it wasn't until today that I felt up to taking pictures. This was my first time chopping up the integral base of a bones mini and making a custom base and I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
I realized upon photographing him that I forgot to properly paint the armband on his left arm so I'll have to go back and do that. I might also repaint the knife/cleaver as steel. I thought it would look cool as copper like some kind of ceremonial knife, but I think it's a bit too much.
C&C welcome, thanks for looking!
Who's Online 7 Members, 1 Anonymous, 60 Guests (See full list)