Sign in to follow this  
alchemist

Black Tree Design - Minotaurs

Excellent brushwork, and the colors are really well done.  The models themselves have a lot of character and feel like old school minotaurs (a big plus in my book), and your paint job just adds to that, so you did great!

I am curious, since I've looked at Black Tree before, how is their casting quality? 

30 minutes ago, Darkmeer said:

Excellent brushwork, and the colors are really well done.  The models themselves have a lot of character and feel like old school minotaurs (a big plus in my book), and your paint job just adds to that, so you did great!

I am curious, since I've looked at Black Tree before, how is their casting quality? 

Thanks for your kind comments.

It is a long time since I bought any Black Tree stuff, so my view may not be up-to-date.  I think their casting is ok - maybe not up there with the best companies but I don't recall ever having a major problem. 

The quality of their customer service has traditionally been... patchy.  But that might just be the UK branch.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alchemist said:

Thanks for your kind comments.

It is a long time since I bought any Black Tree stuff, so my view may not be up-to-date.  I think their casting is ok - maybe not up there with the best companies but I don't recall ever having a major problem. 

The quality of their customer service has traditionally been... patchy.  But that might just be the UK branch.

Thank you.  I may have to put a small order together to see.  I've heard about their Customer Service (which frustrates me, since that was my thing before becoming unemployed). 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello to all you bovine aficionados!

So a while back ago I did a normal minotaur, Greek-type mythological beast with an axe on two legs.   This one is a little different, it's a Shadowrun Minotaur which has a bull's body and a "primate" face.  I think Jim Johnson sculpted it back in the nineties, as usual forgot to check for a date on the bottom.  Pretty straight forwards colors, and it's actually kind of a big and heavy model. Put him on an oval base because there was no way he was going to fit on a normal size circle one:

Anyhoos, hope you guys all enjoy him!

• By 72moonglum
      So I think this Minotaur may have been originally sculpted by Julie Guthrie, but likewise it might have been Dennis Mize because it's part of those Ral Partha resculpts that were won't with some of the Citadel miniatures back then.  Anyhoos, fun figure, and didn't take too long to paint. It's my first minotaur, I must admit!

Anyhows, enjoy!
    • By Thrym
      Once again my buddy with the minotaur character fixation asked me to find a minotaur for him that I can convert into a monk.  Given that most are armed and armored ... I understood his dilemma. 

Thrym's Table presents:

Spellcrow Minotaur as
      Minotaur Monk

Original marketing image; copyright Spellcrow Miniatures.

The first things that had to go were the axes.  The hands were attached to axes on a separate sprue and made it easy to remove them.  Next I drilled out the old handle and cleaned up the pins to the wrists.

Fairly easy so far.  I did it during game night while playing Talisman.  I was the Sprite.

Next I pared back the horns to create a pin and to create a better profile.  The stock horns seemed a bit out of proportion to him.  When I got home my original plan was to place pieces of mini cable ties to create a Karnak look for his fists.  The cable tie I started with worked to a point but wouldn't lay flat enough to his hand.  So time for idea #2, wire.  

As you can see, Karnak has bands around his hands.

That worked well.  That gave me the idea for a necklace or medallion swinging away from him.

Here he is...

Enjoy and stay tuned.  
    • By Pineapple
      I finished this model right at the end of February, but I've been under the weather and it wasn't until today that I felt up to taking pictures.  This was my first time chopping up the integral base of a bones mini and making a custom base and I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

I realized upon photographing him that I forgot to properly paint the armband on his left arm so I'll have to go back and do that.  I might also repaint the knife/cleaver as steel.  I thought it would look cool as copper like some kind of ceremonial knife, but I think it's a bit too much.

C&C welcome, thanks for looking!
    • By Rigel
      Here is a Black Tree sculpt from their remarkably extensive and comprehensive Doctor Who line. This was DW420, Professor Kettlewell, but I've repurposed him as a mathematical genius visiting Miskatonic from Howard University.

I love the hair. 

Bonus points if you recognize the equations! 

He looks like he cares for his abstruse and rarefied mathematical theorems, his coffee, and jaunty bow ties, and that's about it. The shabby suit and body language really help sell the character. Brainstein here is one of my favorites.
  • Who's Online   17 Members, 1 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)