Which base size for D&D 5e (Bones) Orc

Hello community,

I finally started preparing my bones 3 orcs and want to base them. I am wondering what base size would be the correct if we use them for d&d 5e ? I assume 25mm, but from the figure size it’s more 32mm. Anyone some suggestions please? Do you think 32mm would work as well with the d&d or pathfinder map tiles?

regards,

nuki

The grids on the D&D and Pathfinder stuff are 1-inch squares, so 25mm bases are better. I don't have those orcs so I can't say for sure that they'd fit on 25mm bases. You can try to mount them diagonally to get them to fit, and there's a good chance their feet may hang over the edges a little bit depending on their stance. I'd also suggest removing the integral base and mounting them directly to the square base for a better fit.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

Thanks! If 25mm is the correct size I need to rethink my plans for the orcs. Need to find a solution to get them on those ones.. 

I better continue with the lizardmen.. they seem to fit to 25 and wait till I get a solution to have a decent base for the oversized orcs.

Yea, 25mm is the base you technically want to use, but the Bones orcs are in wide stances that don't play well with them. I'm almost at the point where I want to get rid of grids entirely for RPGs and just go with using a measuring tape like a wargamer(back to the RPG roots!) because I like dynamically posed minis, but dynamically posed minis tend not to work well with RPG grids and bases.

I'm currently working on those orcs and I'm basing them on 30 mm I think. They fit well on that and I'm okay with them being a bit larger than my adventurers. They still fit into that one grid thing okay-ish. I'm willing to play them as medium creatures on the bigger side of things in my 5e games. 

CQa8QxC.jpg

25 mm und 30 mm base on 1 inch grid paper.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jadeite
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/medusaminiatures/3d-printable-elite-orcs-sculpted-by-medusa-minis-7-days

Another 7 days KS by Medusa Minis. I have been quite happy with their previous campaigns. 9 pounds for the whole set or 25 if you missed the previous orc sets.
    • By R2ED
      I can't begin to tell you how excited i am that my parents found these in the basement in some supplies i had stored.  These are Ral Partha models from 1988 to 1991. I bought them with my allowance back when i was like 9 or 10 and am thrilled to see these again.  I remember being so afraid to paint them because i didn't want to mess them up, that i never ever tried.  

These are primed and need to be stripped. These are early pewter-white metal.  They even had packaging that read "now lead free". 

What I'm wanting to do is savor the joy of painting them, now that I'm way more capable.  However...i need to get this crappy primer off of them.  These are 30+ years old and I'm blown away they look as good as they do.  

Anyone have a solution that can strip this down to the metal? 

• By Firestar
      My first Wyvern. :)
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Hi everyone.  Got a couple more demons for you today.  This is a pair of Bones Fly Demons for use as Chasme in D&D.  These guys could also serve double duty as Giant Flies for Rangers of Shadow Deep.

More Below the Spoiler:

Feel free to check out more of my demons and devils in my Blood War project HERE.

If anyone has any leads on other interesting giant fly minis please share them, as I've been finding it difficult to find good models for RoSD.

Also, how do you paint insect wings?  They're such a unique feature in the animal kingdom and I'd love to see how you go about it?
    • By Thrym
      Yeah, another base. Shocker, I know.  It's one I've been thinking about for years, basically, since I bought the beads that are in it.

So, the premise:
      I use the air-dry clay hexes from the previous project as well as these beads I bought at Walmart so long ago. The Bugle Beads are hex-shaped and iridescent.  The color on the tube is labeled as "black iris."

I build a flat of the hexes and use the beads upright on a portion of the base to represent an unusual terrain.  I use a pill bottle shell along one edge to build the terrain upward on that edge more easily.  I'll peel that off later.  

So here's the bottom layer of the piece.

The front layer is as high as it will go.  The next layer will go to the top of the beads and also be flat.  The last layer will be more like a hill on the other side of the beads.

Now if this was for a mech it would look like pilings holding back the earth.  I will use more of them here than just along the fronts.

Stay tuned. Enjoy. Please, stay safe.
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 2 Anonymous, 64 Guests (See full list)