Doublesix66

10mm scale buildings for sci-fi (pic heavy)

Hello All,

I was looking on the internet for some buildings to use with my Cav forces so having a look at the scale a lot of reasonable models pre-painted came up as well as the 4ground ones you need to put together yourself then I came across these ready damaged buildings. And theres a few different variants and they don't break the bank either.

46_UTF_building46_UTF_building2

46_UTF_building346_UTF_building4

46_UTF_building5

looks a nice kit comes flatpack and easy to just clip together, the Cav is for scale and as you can see not bad, just deciding whether to spray it then add some burns marks for recent damage or weathering to make it a bit more like the ones that I've seen done for drop zone commander with all the foliage on them.

what do people think will use this topic to show any progress with my painting

regards

'66'

• Like 15

Hi all thanks for the replies I have ordered 4 different models once they all arrive I'll do a group shot and start painting them up.

Second building arrived today this one is not battle damaged but might end up a little ::D: one of the last ones I'm waiting for is a corner of the street end which is also damaged like the one above.

47_UTF_building

47_UTF_building2

47_UTF_building3

47_UTF_building4

47_UTF_building547_UTF_building6

It was clipped together in no time unlike the damaged one theres only 2 internal floors one at the 1st floor and one in the middle as well as the roof so I might have to add  a few for the other floors if I leave the windows out the last picture shows the front decorative panels loosely in place.

regards

'66' 

Edited by Doublesix66
typo
  • Like 11

I have quite a few of these, but I never knew that they made ruined versions. They are Outland Model buildings, in "N" gauge. I generally get them from eBay. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2018 at 5:02 PM, Sharky said:

I have quite a few of these, but I never knew that they made ruined versions. They are Outland Model buildings, in "N" gauge. I generally get them from eBay. 

yep those are the ones I've come across 10 different versions of the damaged one thus far going to get one of each as cash permits

Yay the postie has braved the weather and another building has arrived one more to go then I'll do a group picture and start painting them up

This one is a nice corner piece could be a panel missing from the top little roof building will fill in with a bit of plastic card when building them

51_UTF_building

After a few minutes putting it together... and a couple of Cavs for scale

51_UTF_building2

51_UTF_building351_UTF_building451_UTF_building5

regards

'66'

Edited by Doublesix66
  • Like 8

Are you sure that tall thin section on the corner (front-and-center on the 3rd picture down) isn't supposed to be mirror-flipped?  The missing chunks seem to correspond to the adjoining walls OPPOSITE where they're currently lining up.

57 minutes ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Are you sure that tall thin section on the corner (front-and-center on the 3rd picture down) isn't supposed to be mirror-flipped?  The missing chunks seem to correspond to the adjoining walls OPPOSITE where they're currently lining up.

Good Spot, yep in my haste to put it together thats flipped the wrong way around i'll be removing it and the one of the front panels to paint the inside with dirt & dust before doing the outside.

But with a little work it could be put this way around for a different version of the same building.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doublesix66 said:

Good Spot, yep in my haste to put it together thats flipped the wrong way around i'll be removing it and the one of the front panels to paint the inside with dirt & dust before doing the outside.

But with a little work it could be put this way around for a different version of the same building.

True.  Maybe a bit of cutting away to create some new break points or at least a little bit of "battle damage" on the facing edge.  I suppose one weird thing about those "battle damage" holes on the corner piece is that I'm seeing that the broken edges themselves have a bit of repetition, resulting in almost a Rorschach ink blot test type of effect due to the (almost) symmetry.  (I guess I'd have to do some Photoshoppery to call out exactly what I'm referring to, but I on the same photo I mentioned before, if you look at the top "breakway" segment of the flipped corner piece, and then look at the chunk taken out of the wall right to the viewer's left of it, the "jigsaw" breakaway lines are almost identical in places -- like when this was designed, someone just had a template for a "jagged broken edge" and used the same template in both places.)  But unintentional symmetry is probably the EASIEST thing to fix when you're putting together a "ruined" building.  :)

P.S., these look like nice building kits!  It almost tempts me to try my hand at some ruined 10mm buildings for kaiju and stompy robot battles.  Making something that roughly approximates a building isn't so hard, but it's the precise repetition and the finer details of those window frames that would be especially hard to replicate.  I look forward to seeing how these turn out!

• Like 5

Jordan I know what you mean about the damage but it can easily be changed a little with the help of a scalpel and files.

heres a picture of the above building with the central panel in the correct position. As you can see it looks a lot better now

51_UTF_building6

Ok heres another one thats come a nice housing block of flats the front panel is a bit off as its only held on by a single clip at the top and not glued in position yet but you get the idea

52_UTF_building

52_UTF_building2

with the front wall removed to show the balconies 

52_UTF_building3

52_UTF_building4

52_UTF_building5

Heres a nice garage / workshop that I found as well

53_UTF_building

53_UTF_building2

53_UTF_building3

Group shot of the building together as a street

54_UTF_building

54_UTF_building2

54_UTF_building3

54_UTF_building4

Could even work for battle tech miniatures as well

54_UTF_building5

Right I've decided to work on the 1st building that came on its own just to figure out the best way to paint these up, to be honest still not 100% on how I want these to turn out modern recent damage like the buildings you see in the middle east or a more rundown street which has been damaged a while ago and nature has started to take hold a bit like the pictures of Chernobyl or the Dropzone commander styled buildings with the growth on the outside. Will probably add some debris inside on the floors for a bit more realism and maybe add a little plastic rods to the outside to make them a little more 3d that just flat faces on each of them, also a few bullet holes wouldn't go a miss at street level and around a few of the windows.

Wish me luck ::D: I'll try and post ongoing pictures as I make it up

regards

'66' 

• Like 11

Ok time for an quick update, I've added some damage to the buildings and a few steel rods exposed I've added a little rubble to each of the inner floors and base coated them will highlight and add some more details such as blacked for fire damage etc then I'll assemble the building again and work on the outside.

Inner floors you might be able to make out the bullet holes on the ground floor wall and a few of the exposed steel rods

55_UTF_1stbuilding2

55_UTF_1stbuilding

55_UTF_1stbuilding3

regards

'66'

• Like 10