03660: Amrielle, Female Ranger

03660: Amrielle, Female Ranger Julie Guthrie

This one has been on the shelf of shame for a couple of years.  I had some severe problems with textures which is why she ended up on my shelf of shame.  First mistake was I didn't sand smooth the various flat surfaces before priming.  Then I primed using spray on aerosol primer when the weather wasn't right, creating a very rough, beaded surface texture (check out the top of her bow).  Then when I was painting her, I was using glazing medium to try to improve my blending.  I didn't wait long enough between coats of paint.  Consequently, the partially dry layers got peeled up and made into a mess (look closely at her cheeks).  She is finished now, good enough for use as a minion in a tabletop game where no one will look at her too closely.  I have included close-ups of the textures so you can see my mistakes.  I also put in one close-up of an area I painted today.   The difference it makes when you take your time and let the previous layer properly dry shows clearly. 

34 projects left on my shelf of shame!

5a921d85bed99_Ranger1.thumb.jpg.e45c79143e22492236c7e845ae5f1d3e.jpg

5a921d8755eb7_Ranger3.thumb.jpg.3584b821833c52e3034fabb3e7a09192.jpg

5a921d867d589_Ranger2.thumb.jpg.fd701ed25277cf290a6cf19bab307e50.jpg

5a921d87ebe95_TextureCloseup1.jpg.63997620d1a1da4996b59ac5e2244144.jpg

5a921d888a179_TextureCloseup2.jpg.fb4a47d6a1abfc21a7c648fe6602f044.jpg

5a921d8951487_TextureCloseup3.jpg.dafd758b92ef8a87addbf2a8426456cf.jpg

• Like 22
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really did an admirable job of just getting it done despite the poor surface prime.  I have a few unfinished in this category.  I’m not going to try the Simple Green bath just yet.

What a curious ranger.  She has a bone spine whip/spiked chain?

Thanks for listing the things you thought contributed to your struggles and what you tried to do to fix it.  It helps us all have more ideas when we run into the same thing.

• Like 2

Man, you made some great lemonade with that lemon! And as always, you've got some great color choices and a really good eye for shading.

I have a bunch of old Ral Partha elves that I had this happen to. They may eventually get stripped and given another go.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.