How to organize my paints

So I've purchased the complete sets of paints from Reaper

09001-09270

09401-09454

29801-29854

It came with 3 caddy's and currently I've got them in numerical order.

09001-09111 in caddy #1

09115-09270 in caddy #2

09401-09454, 29801-29854 in caddy #3

And I've got a color swatch printed and in the top of each caddy.

But I was wondering should I organize them differently?

Should I group them by colors? Reds, Greens, Blues, etc

Or by categories; Flesh tones, liners, inks, washes, shadows, highlights

How do you organize your paints?

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the most common system is 'by colour in a rack and the most used in a big pile on the desk'... 

Organisation and creativity are two words that doesn't often go very well together... 

Honestly?

YOU are the user of the paints. The system you end up with will be a reflection of how you work.

Shadows and highlights are just normal paints, just darker and lighter than another specific paint, so they really belong together. 

I'm currently deploying 3 large Hobbyzone racks + a large corner, and have them sorted broadly by olour, and within the colours, I've sorted the triads so that they go 'shade, mid, high' when seen from the left to the right. 

HD paints are stacked beside or higher up in the racks. 

Mostly...

Then I've separated the primers, washes, varnishes and liners in or around the corner. 

Metals are a big jumble.  

And that doesn't account for the Scale75 paints that are placed as sets on the top row as close as possible to their thematic sorting group. (There's primers and washes in those sets)

Where I'll fit the GreenStuffworld colourchanging metallics, I have no idea... 

Did I mention investing heavily in HobbyZone products? 

Yeah, consider doing that. 

I use my one and only Paint Caddy to store spares and stuff like Brush Restorer, acetone-free nailpolish-remover and other goodies.

(I fill Restorer and Removers into dropper bottles and keep one or two in the paint rack, in the corner section)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Right now, I have my paint sorted by hue (or, to be more exact, however the PaintRack app sorts by color), with whites/grays/blacks (including near-colors), skin tones, and metallics sorted separately.  I decided to do this to try to break out of "painting by science," i.e. making decisions about paint choice based on SKU or triad rather than by color.  I haven't painted enough since then to know whether or not it works.  (I also have a lot of paint that hasn't been opened so there aren't dots on the caps yet.)

I keep my paint in a HELMER drawer unit from IKEA that fits under the dining table where I do my painting so I can keep my paint bottles close at hand (and make it easier to put them away when I'm done).  The unit can also be wheeled away and stored somewhere else in case we want to use the dining table for, y'know, dining.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, joepacelli said:

@Clearman - I like how the paints are in it top first allowing you to see the colors better.

But what is this storage unit. I like this organizer. What is it exactly? Where did you get it?

It's a home brew, DIY Frankenstein made from 1" PVC pipe and pink XPS foam.  Build WIP thread below.  It's evolved some since I did that WIP, but it should give you the general idea.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Clearman said:

This is how I have my paint organized.

1025172152.thumb.jpg.36b82ee163af0e06a841e9ee8c6f2e01.jpg

That's... That's gorgeous dedication to say the least! 

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

I believe the most common system is 'by colour in a rack and the most used in a big pile on the desk'... 

I'm currently deploying 3 large Hobbyzone racks + a large corner, and have them sorted broadly by olour, and within the colours, I've sorted the triads so that they go 'shade, mid, high' when seen from the left to the right. 

HD paints are stacked beside or higher up in the racks. 

Mostly...

Then I've separated the primers, washes, varnishes and liners in or around the corner. 

Metals are a big jumble.  

And that doesn't account for the Scale75 paints that are placed as sets on the top row as close as possible to their thematic sorting group. (There's primers and washes in those sets)

Where I'll fit the GreenStuffworld colourchanging metallics, I have no idea... 

Did I mention investing heavily in HobbyZone products? 

Yeah, consider doing that. 

I use my one and only Paint Caddy to store spares and stuff like Brush Restorer, acetone-free nailpolish-remover and other goodies.

(I fill Restorer and Removers into dropper bottles and keep one or two in the paint rack, in the corner section)

This is probably what I'm going to do myself...  Have things in a semi-neat  and tidy kind of way on the paint rack I have on the way (Impudent Mortal reverse wall rack), but with the main ones I'm currently working with grouped together on the desk.  I'm hoping for the best of both worlds with this system - relatively tidy storage of paints (with the ability to quickly glance and choose a shade to start with), but also convenience of having various types separated. 

I had thought about going by SKU, but eh, by hue is good enough in my eyes.  Besides, if I went by SKU, since I'm focusing on getting HD and Bones first (and then adding in core triads later / as I go) I'd have colours all over the place, instead a quick and easy way to deal with the feeling of "I want a slightly darker blue for this part" 

11 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I group mine by colors.

This is them in their entirety :ph34r:  :

Paints.jpg.738e2cb43c32ac95cb6fd953f953cdd4.jpg

That's.... That's dedication.  I like having my base colours that are close to what I want, and then being added to afterwards a bit too much though, as does hubby (who prefers not having to mix colour at all, at least right now) 

I can't wait to get my paint rack in though, because right now they're grouped by which LTPK they came in, and I'd rather just have all the paint in one area, and in one convenient rack. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

That's... That's gorgeous dedication to say the least!

This picture is the 4th or 5th generation of how I stored/organized my paint.

I started with a plastic box, and then upgraded to the standard Reaper caddies.  My first DIY was a desk top, stair step rack similar to what you get from HobbyZone.  It didn't hold enough, so I build the upright version pictured int he WIP thread and the pic above.  It's also almost out of room so I'm close to doing a rebuild.

One thing that I can say since I organized by hue is it has completely broken my reliance on the MSP triads.  Instead of picking a triad, I can pick a midtone and then pick a dark and lighter shade.  

• Like 4

I use these.  They're on ~$20 on ebay.  It look small but it holds 120 paints.If they were much more expensive, I'd build what clearman uses.

Colorwise they're in sections of similar colors, which the exceptions that the skin triads are off on their own.

image.png.79c5cbdd201fa4bb509efb931718af6c.png

image.png.bbf9657d5290e373431e6ee8fec2f3ad.png

Edited by rfusca
  • Like 9
12 minutes ago, Clearman said:

This picture is the 4th or 5th generation of how I stored/organized my paint.

I started with a plastic box, and then upgraded to the standard Reaper caddies.  My first DIY was a desk top, stair step rack similar to what you get from HobbyZone.  It didn't hold enough, so I build the upright version pictured int he WIP thread and the pic above.  It's also almost out of room so I'm close to doing a rebuild.

One thing that I can say since I organized by hue is it has completely broken my reliance on the MSP triads.  Instead of picking a triad, I can pick a midtone and then pick a dark and lighter shade.  

Either way, I love the dedication and usefulness of your stands! 

Also, glad to hear about the triads...  I've been getting them due to nice shades (and to compliment what I currently have) but truth be told I would definitely prefer to just look at the rack and pick, and go from there. ^_^

4 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Nice.  Now I need to explore mounting a monitor...

You can usually find some decent quality ones on Amazon.  The ones I'm using right now (no picture available atm) were only $40 CAD each, which still adds up when you get three of them per desk, but still.  I'd absolutely love a WSGF stand one of these days, but that's like $600 CAD shipped, so I can wait. 

3 hours ago, rfusca said:

I use these.  They're on ~$20 on ebay.  It look small but it holds 120 paints.If they were much more expensive, I'd build what clearman uses.

Colorwise they're in sections of similar colors, which the exceptions that the skin triads are off on their own.

image.png.79c5cbdd201fa4bb509efb931718af6c.png

image.png.bbf9657d5290e373431e6ee8fec2f3ad.png

I have the same rack but have enough paints for almost another one. The wife keeps telling me to build one like Cleaman. But I'm waffling between than and just buying a second mdf rack. Right now all the extras are in a box on the table next to the rack. I had originally planned to organise them by triads but ended up just going by colour/shade except for the skin triads. I've kept the skin tones in their triads but now that I've fooled around with them some I'm mixing between triads more.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Clearman said:

This is how I have my paint organized.

1025172152.thumb.jpg.36b82ee163af0e06a841e9ee8c6f2e01.jpg

So was at Home Depot last night and they had 3/4" PVC 15 packs on clearance for 0.63 cents. I purchased all 8 packs

This will allow me to make some like this for 120 paints.

I plan to check the 2 other local home depots and see if these are also on clearance there as well.

• Like 8