How to organize my paints

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

right now they're grouped by which LTPK they came in

That's how my paints are organized right now, it'll probably be awhile before I need another system. I like to leave the back row reserved for the colors I'm currently using during a project. 20180227_114230.thumb.jpg.9c1fcfbe5ac899716d8abddbe469483e.jpg20180227_114300.thumb.jpg.b9beacf47aa3d80f14035e2f4bf7ef07.jpg

Edited by Rat13
Dang autocorrect.
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Clearman said:

Awesome!

Keep us posted on how it goes.  Would love to see what you come up with.

Will do.

I just got back from another Home Depot and was able to get another 22 packs, of the PVC, so now I have a total of 30 packs, with 15 pieces each.

So I've got enough for the 326 paints and room for more.

I'll probably build small sections, but the hardest part is do I build it now, or wait till I move into the new home we are building in June.

After I make a dedicated painting desk and know what I have to work with space wise.

Plus, I won't need to worry about breaking it if I wait till June

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Rat13 said:

That's how my paints are organized right now, it'll probably be awhile before I need anot her system. I like to leave the back row reserved for the colors I'm currently using during a project. 20180227_114230.thumb.jpg.9c1fcfbe5ac899716d8abddbe469483e.jpg20180227_114300.thumb.jpg.b9beacf47aa3d80f14035e2f4bf7ef07.jpg

I contemplated such...  And then I went "hey hun, let's order a ton of paints" (aka you pick 10 Bones and 10 HD, and I'll pick ten of each...  And while we're at it, we'll fill out a few triads we already have).  Suspicious how going from 22 paints to 72 or so suddenly makes it so one can't quite just use the cases they already have for such....  Still tempted to use them as a travel case though, since BattleFoam is going to be a while before I contemplate such simply due to the rather steep shipping costs to Canada.

• Like 3
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, Clearman said:

This is how I have my paint organized.

1025172152.thumb.jpg.36b82ee163af0e06a841e9ee8c6f2e01.jpg

This is a "Thing of Sheer Beauty", well done!

I have recently outgrown my two LTPK cases so I am going to shamelessly steal this idea!

• Like 3
11 hours ago, DanH said:

This is a "Thing of Sheer Beauty", well done!

I have recently outgrown my two LTPK cases so I am going to shamelessly steal this idea!

Yeah, I'm also stealing this idea Dan.

I got lucky, when I went to Home Depot they had 15 pack of 3/4inch PVC couplings on clearance for .63 cents.

So for $20 I got 30 bags, enough for 450 paints.

If your in the US, check your local Home Depot in the plumbing for the 15 pack, which is normal 2.68 on clearance for .63

• Like 3

Resurrecting this thread instead of starting something new since it is all related.

We got a duplicate shelf that matches my daughter's with all her crafting stuff. I bought an acrylic spice rack thinking it would hold plenty of paints....well once you start taking paints out of the cases and lining them up you realize 20 is a lot.  We don't need all paints out because some just rarely get used but I would like to have the majority on display and easy to grab when we paint.  Any other ideas besides the spice rack (which i needed to stagger the paints so more could fit on it) that we could possibly do in the area seen in pic...or we could even use the bigger shelf below where the case that still has another 80-90 paints is sitting right now.

If I go with the spice rack my thought was to purchase another and Dremel it to fit on shelf next to the other one and that would store a good 120 paints or so.  Then the other 80-90 could stay in the caddy down below.  Not the best solution but we could make it work.

5ac3a3ba192e7_2018-04-0220_54_20.thumb.jpg.d5d42a0560d82db3bc6ecb454c666d08.jpg

• Like 5

They look good, but to me it looks as if they're wasting a bit of space at the top by having holes for larger bottles there. 

(Unless you use a lot of 30 or 60ml bottles from Vallejo, of course. I only have primers and varnishes in that size bottles, soset up a short HZ 36mm rack for those, off to the side)

I'm using a garage drawer storage thing, originally for nuts, bolts, and small parts. I think it was on sale at Home Depot, i got it for Dad, and he never used it. I find the drawers useful for storing paint triads, and sort by manufacturer then number. The bottom drawers are paints from paint sets (eg. Army Painter Quickshade Ink, Secret Weapon Miniatures washes). I sometimes find it useful to pull out a drawer and leave it on my paint desk. You can, of course, put other paint-related things in the drawers, like alligator clips. plastic putty in a tube, etc.

For brushes and tools (eg. scissors, files), I use an acrylic nail polish holder. I originally bought it to hold paints, but found the cells too small. But they're perfect to keep brushes. Just throw 'em in brush-side up after drying. Also stores stuff like tweezers, scissors, batteries, Q-tips, toothbrushes... etc. 

Everything's a mess, but I can find what I want so I can paint! ::):

71vCQwiPMfL._SL1200_.jpg

516hDY1oqmL._SL1001_.jpg

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 2

Got 2 rechargeable light strips installed today at lunch.  They have sensors but too much light in room for them to work so I will just switch them on when I want to paint.  I tried just one in the center but it was putting shadows on the bottles that line the walls so I installed both side by side and once I get the other rack and a dremel to chop it down so it fits i think it will all look great.  My wife is insisting that I do a rainbow color scheme and that I don't stagger the paints like I have so far.  I will get more on the shelf and she thinks it would look cooler.  It will be a pain to add new paints no matter which way I do it so I will give her idea a shot.

5ac7bd4b07f50_2018-04-0612_48_30.thumb.jpg.ec2b1cdf1f60d1741c62266c85e915eb.jpg

• Like 2

Well we got paints organized tonight and most of the other stuff in place.  I discovered that I have a metric ton of mini stuff while doing this. I will need to decide what else to keep on these shelves and what can stay in other mini storage places. In this pic it will be some displayed minis on top,  paints,  basing stuff,  minis,  and then more minis/ extra cases and storage things on three very bottom. The sorting of paint colors was tough and had both my wife and daughter helping. 

20180407_201824.jpg

• Like 5