Sign in to follow this  
Sophie was taken

03566: Valloa, Female Elf Thief

Sometimes you have to force your way through the rough patches. Fortunately, I recently found Valloa here at my FLGS. Given that she’s been on my “want” list for a while and their selection of metal minis was sparse at best, I snapped one up to dispel the painting melancholy. Apologies in advance for the bad images, lighting didn’t want to comply, and the closest to true color I could get has bad shine from camera flash + sealer. Here she is:

872233D0-DC55-4B72-8882-C670C60D01A5.jpeg.e6bb3655310508509b938494fd311dce.jpeg32F7D92A-CD52-44A8-88E2-5650D0A161D2.jpeg.ad9e06d1d307248a54f7c486dca4abb0.jpeg

I didn’t originally have plans to paint this one as a drow. But, I wanted a chance to try out the dark elf skin triad and didn’t have any other available elf minis to mess around with. The paints are fantastic though, and will likely see use outside of skin in the future.

This is the second mini I’ve done with a purple cloak. I think the shadows and highlights turned out better (and more varied) than the previous attempt. And working upon previous advice, used no less than seven shades of brown overall (not that you can tell).

Please feel free to comment and critique! I need to improve on things next time.

Edited by Sophie was taken
  • Like 20

I like her as a drow. And yay for purple! If you don't have it, Nightshade Purple is awesome. It is almost black and is so good for shadows. It also mixes well with other colors.

My critique has to do with taking photos. If at all possible, don't use flash. Not only does it reflect off your mini but can often wash out your colors. If you can set up a couple lamps to provide good lighting and not use a flash, it helps. Also, if you use a matte varnish or spray over your gloss, your mini won't be shiny. (Unless you want it shiny then ignore me!)

Anyway, I like the colors you chose and do think she looks great as a drow. Now I am even more excited to get my Reaper order because I have the dark skin triad ordered!

• Like 2

I second what has already been said.. Great mini, love the skin tones.. But please no more flash photography.. I myself am still sometimes tempted to shoot with flash but it just messes up the picture.. Best build a lght box (very cheap to do, there are vids on youtube) or shoot near a window with indirect light..

Also, is that gloss varnish on her?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, VolksFest said:

I second what has already been said.. Great mini, love the skin tones.. But please no more flash photography.. I myself am still sometimes tempted to shoot with flash but it just messes up the picture.. Best build a lght box (very cheap to do, there are vids on youtube) or shoot near a window with indirect light..

Also, is that gloss varnish on her?

The glossiness is from the sealer (which I assume is supposed to be matte). I may have to search for some Dullcote here...